Menu

What Writing Program After WWE 3?

I do not think I can take another day of WWE 3 - we are in Week 18 and we (dd10) are both really done with dictation.  I've read SWB's new article about 3 levels being enough and if the child can pass the WWE 3 last exam/lesson, they have pretty much reaped the benefits of the program.  So.....I want to quit now and move on to the next thing. 

What would you all recommend for a child that is having difficulty putting words on paper because it is "hard" to her?  She can give me her narration and even take it from dictation, but if I say, "Ok, write that down" she cries.  We do free-writing with Brave Writer and she does great on that.  She can write a full page of whatever she wanted in 5 minutes with no problem!  However, writing down narrations from her history, literature or science reading is like pulling teeth......she freezes up and can't do it without my help.

I'm thinking of getting IEW SWI but wondering which level - A or B?  I'm also thinking of Writing With Skill but thinking that may be too difficult right now?  I did purchase WWE 4 and planned on doing it - should we just press on and get through WWE 3 and go on to 4?

Thoughts?  Advice?  Thanks!!

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

I'm not the OP, but I was in the exact same situation when my oldest was in 4th. We ended up starting WWS. That's not what I'd do now - now, I'd either use CAP W&R through Narrative 2 (before considering beginning WWS) or I would spend time doing writing across the curriculum the way SWB describes in her Middle Grades writing lectures. I'd hold off on WWS till 6th grade at least.

• Like 3

I am curious... what did you end up going with after WWE3? 

We took a break for months, then started Rod and Staff English 5 and for some reason, the way they laid it all out in there to write, really helped her.  Since then, she has been able to do narrations easily but history was lagging, so I had her evaluated and couldn't believe she was actually advanced in writing.  We found out she had no interest in history and that was part of the problem, so we came up with the idea to do history narrations in Minecraft (that she loves) and that seemed to resolve the issue!

Here is an example of her Minecraft history narrations: http://www.cambridgeshireacademy.com/2015/05/narration-with-minecraft.html

• Like 1