Menu

If you have used CLE's Learning to Read . . .

podoba01

If you have used this program, I have a couple of questions.

1. Is it possible to do this program without purchasing the flash cards? Does the teacher manual list what words the cards say or would I have to purchase them to know this information? My daughter really seems to hate flash cards, so I might enter the flash cards on an online program like Quizlet instead. As an alternative, I might just make "cards" for the words that she finds difficult.
  2. Do you add the language arts 100 level with the Learning to Read program or the regular reading program? I can't tell from looking at their website when to start the LA.

Thank you so much for your help!

Sherry

If you have used this program, I have a couple of questions.

1. Is it possible to do this program without purchasing the flash cards? Does the teacher manual list what words the cards say or would I have to purchase them to know this information? My daughter really seems to hate flash cards, so I might enter the flash cards on an online program like Quizlet instead. As an alternative, I might just make "cards" for the words that she finds difficult.
  2. Do you add the language arts 100 level with the Learning to Read program or the regular reading program? I can't tell from looking at their website when to start the LA.

Thank you so much for your help!

Sherry

1.  You can make your own cards--the back of the TG tells you which ones you need (or at least my edition did--I have 1st edition, and they are on 2nd now).  They are a really good system--I'm not a flash card lover either, but they really did help with fluency.  My now-10 year old used LTR and I'm working on it now with my 5 1/2 year old.  I started out making my own for DS2 but it got so tedious that i reluctantly bought the cards and actually ended up being glad I did.  It was a pain making them by hand--but Quizlet sounds good.

2.  I believe you start LA 100 after you finish the half year LTR.  It MIGHT be partway through LTR but it definitely isn't in the beginning of LTR.  (Actually let me go check since I can find out in 3 minutes instead of giving you a half-cocked answer, lol)  There are 10 books in LTR and you start LA 100 when you begin the 5th LTR book.

I am going to use First Language Lessons with DS3, not CLE LA.  Even though I really like CLE LA and my older boys use it, it's just too much book work for a 5 1/2 year old--I plan to pick up CLE LA with Grade 2.  Not that you asked my opinion there :) but as a long-time user of CLE, thought I'd throw it in.  My older boys have used CLE Math from 100-500 and 100-700 (now in Saxon Algebra), we used CLE Reading from 100 through 500 and 700 this year, and this is our 2nd year of LA (they are in 500 and 600).

B--

The flashcards are fabulous. They are large for classroom use, so, if you sit in a chair in the yard a wiggly child can read them while jumping on the trampoline. If I were to just purchase one set of flash cards, it would be the phrase cards. My youngest was never a choppy reader, and I totally attribute that to CLE LTR but especially to the phrase cards. All the cards are integral to the program, but I guess, with the sounds and words, you could just make them or some of them. With the phrase cards, I feel like they were the star of the show. The flashcards really take the child from sounds, to words, then to phrases. The phrase cards demonstrate how to see a group of words rather than individual words. As a fluid reader reading with understanding and correct inflection, reading requires that you see more than just one word. CLE and its phrase cards were wonderful for moving my son from sounds to fluid reading.

If I had another little person, I would definitely use CLE LTR again.

Mandy

I've used LtR  with two of mine, and it went very well. I just used the light units and TM's.  The TM's do tell you what sounds/phrases to use for flashcards, so it could (in theory ;)) be easy to make your own.  I did not add in the CLE LA units.  Waaaay too much pencil work, especially if your child struggling with the act of writing.  I used FLL (most of it is oral) instead. 

The flashcards are fabulous. They are large for classroom use, so, if you sit in a chair in the yard a wiggly child can read them while jumping on the trampoline. If I were to just purchase one set of flash cards, it would be the phrase cards. My youngest was never a choppy reader, and I totally attribute that to CLE LTR but especially to the phrase cards. All the cards are integral to the program, but I guess, with the sounds and words, you could just make them or some of them. With the phrase cards, I feel like they were the star of the show. The flashcards really take the child from sounds, to words, then to phrases. The phrase cards demonstrate how to see a group of words rather than individual words. As a fluid reader reading with understanding and correct inflection, reading requires that you see more than just one word. CLE and its phrase cards were wonderful for moving my son from sounds to fluid reading.

If I had another little person, I would definitely use CLE LTR again.

Mandy

Thank you so much for the advice. I would love to do the flash cards because it would be easier, but it's my daughter who balks at the idea. Do you know if the phrases written in the TM in a way that I can duplicate this in Quizlet?

If you are interested I have a few LTR items in very good to new condition for sale. Not a complete set but what I have I can sell for 50% off CLE prices. [2 TMs, 4 readers, 2 light units].

Thank you so much for the offer, but I have purchased what I need.  :001_smile: