Menu

Colorado Springs area

Word Nerd

If you like to hike - Palmer Park.

My boys love to climb on the rocks, there are plenty of trails, and beautiful views of the city.

The view (from one side of the park:

DSC02399.jpg?itok=h_EJHeGQ

ETA: For some reason I couldn't post the images I wanted to show you.  If you want to see the rock formations in the park do a google images search in the park.  

If you mountain bike this is a prime place to do so.

If you like to browse in little shops there is Old Colorado City, the first permanent settlement in the area.  It is not far from Garden of the Gods, if you go there Old Colorado City would be a nice place to eat or have a homemade ice cream at the Colorado City Creamery.

Rock Ledge Ranch, which is a part of Garden of the Gods is a fun place to go.

The Rock Ledge Ranch Historic Site is an educational, non-profit living history farm and museum that depicts life in the Pikes Peak region in four time periods: American Indian area in 1775; 1860’s Galloway Homestead; 1880’s Chambers Home and Ranch; 1907 Edwardian Country Estate.

I've never been but the Springs has a money museum and a pioneer museum.  Cave of the Winds is supposed to be fun, I'd like to go there before summer ends.

The Olympic Training Center has a good tour and you will most likely see athletes training for the Olympics.

Seven Falls is a popular tourist attraction.  I have never been because I refuse to pay to see a waterfall when in the same area you can see Helen Hunt Falls for free and enjoy some hiking trails.  If you hike the trail at Helen Hunt Falls there will be another waterfall to view.  The amount of water depends on the amount of rain we've had.  There is a nature center at the falls as well as just prior to entering the canyon (Cheyenne Canon).  The one at the beginning of the canyon is the Starsmore Discovery Center.  There is a junior ranger program children can do for $2.

Helen Hunt Falls:

(ACK!  Won't let me post the photos!)

For those up for a physical challenge the Manitou Incline is a serious hike.  It is a 3/4 mile hike but it increases 2000 feet in elevation.  It is difficult but worth the challenge if you are up for it.  Count on it taking much longer than you anticipate.  Most people hike down the Barr trail as hiking down the Incline is probably not the safest.  My boys hiked it last summer when my youngest turned 7.  It was difficult but they did it.  

It is the scar you see up the mountain towards Manitou Springs:

(Again, photo won't post!)

There are beautiful views if you have enough energy to turn around and enjoy them ;)

(Check google images, I can't post the photos).

If you are up to traveling to Denver the Denver Museum of Nature and Science usually has interesting exhibits.  The current exhibit is on the Maya, this is in addition to the permanent exhibits.

I thought the Denver Art Museum was fabulous.

A museum that I haven't been to but would like to is the Unsinkable Molly Brown House in Denver.

Hope this is helpful!

SJ

I am jealous. We LOVED Colorado Springs and enjoyed everything that we did there. Feeding the giraffes was pretty special and the cliff dwellings were neat. Dd wanted to go to the Garden of the Gods everyday and we never got tired of it.

If you are a flaming liberal like me, you will love Seeds Community Cafe. The food is healthy and delicious, the people are lovely and your money will help feed the hungry.

Some have been mentioned already, but I'll second the votes for Old Colorado City.  Look to see if there's a festival that coincides with your trip.  If you have kids into ice skating, there's a figure skating museum near the Broadmoor.  The Cheyenne Mountain Zoo is very unique.  The Olympic Training Center is really cool, and I enjoyed visiting the Air Force Academy.  Also, if you sponsor a Compassion child, their HQ is there, and they give (or used to give) tours.  f you have younger kids, the Manitou Cliff Dwellings are great.  They weren't originally there but were carted in from Mesa Verde about 100 years ago.

I lived in CS for five years.  It wasn't until the month before we moved that we made it up to Pikes Peak.  It was so fun that we did it again a few weeks later.  We drove; the train car thing was way too $$$.  It was a blast, unforgettable.

Have FUN!!!!

We were in Colorado City a couple of months ago at the Olympic Training Center for a swim meet. Since we know a resident athlete, we were fortunate to get a 'backstage' tour. We loved Garden of the Gods, beautiful! One morning we went on a jeep tour of the Royal Gorge that was enjoyable and fun. You can also raft or take a train through it. Manitou Cliffs were interesting but not worth the $$ compared to some of the other lower cost things we did.

Ivywild School Community Marketplace is a neat place to grab a bite to eat.  If you like beer there is a brewery inside.  If not, there is yummy food either in the brewery or on the other side of the building.  IIRC there is also a coffee shop and a bakery.  It could easily be a stop on the way back from the zoo or Cheyenne Canon if you choose to visit those places.

There are a few other breweries in town if beer is your thing.

We were in Colorado City a couple of months ago at the Olympic Training Center for a swim meet. Since we know a resident athlete, we were fortunate to get a 'backstage' tour. We loved Garden of the Gods, beautiful! One morning we went on a jeep tour of the Royal Gorge that was enjoyable and fun. You can also raft or take a train through it. Manitou Cliffs were interesting but not worth the $$ compared to some of the other lower cost things we did.

Sections of the Royal Gorge Park burned in a wild fire last year.  I would call ahead and make sure the park is open, or find out how much of the park is opened prior to visiting.  It is a (very) long drive to find out sections of the park are closed.

This does not affect rafting expeditions, train rides, or the like in the area as far as I know.