Menu

Your ideal kid-less long weekend? Help me plan?

madteaparty

We've decided on a child swap with my sister (we watch theirs for a long weekend, they watch ours). We travel a fair amount (I'm going to Europe twice this summer!) but always with the kids, and the 3 year old limits us a bit. I am not a big adventure person, but I like hiking and such. We live in a very pretty area in NY state and hike or canoe or ski or bike most weekends, again, limited a bit by the baby :)

If it were just *me* going, I would do something a bit out of character, like check into a completely silent yoga/meditation type retreat (I don't really do yoga), or a spa or something. DH is not into that. I'd like to keep the flight around 5 hours or less, because it's only 3 nights.

My sister is going first and she and her DH are doing some sort of hike in the Grand canyon where you camp in a canyon.

DH suggested Napa valley but that is a longer flight than I'd like. I've never been to places like Arizona/Colorado/Montana. This will be in the fall/winter though, so maybe Mexico or Costa Rica would be nice too. We've already done Vegas several times. Do you have a favorite couples' getaway? Tell me!

The ideal kid-less weekend for my dh would be staying at home, napping, and spending more time in bed than much else. It's cheap and relaxing. No flying needed.

My ideal kid-less weekend would be a LOT different - much more along the line of Grand Canyon, hiking, roughing it, etc. Maybe in the title it should read: Ideal kid-less weekend for dh and wife together. :laugh:

If I only had three days, I'd be looking to avoid flying at all.  Too dang long in the airports.  You'll lose half a day at each end to travel. Blech.

I'm thinking a nice drive, less than 3 hours, to somewhere lovely, with a B&B at the end.  Since you're in NY, I'd be looking to travel upstate.  If it were ME, I'd do it in Oct when they have the big sheep and wool festival in Rhinebeck.  Camping upstate would be lovely, but maybe you don't want to spend your time fooling with camp work.

I also just really like the idea of staying home and having the house to ourselves for three days with peace and quiet.