Menu

I'm such a putz! Dd's new Latin teacher...

... who I saw for the first time today was, uh, not what I expected.

Graduate of classics from Boston College teaching LATIN. Do you not picture a nerdy white guy in a bowtie and glasses? (Um, with apologies to dd's LAST year Latin teacher, our own dear Brigitte's dh, who is decidedly NOT nerdy-looking. :D)

Color me quite the stereotyper, but the new black teacher in dreds and Burmuda shorts and skateboard sneakers up there sitting on the stage was not my FIRST choice on who would walk up to the podium when introduced as the new Latin guru.

I am officially pathetic and obviously very sheltered in my little white bread mayonaise world. :tongue_smilie:

Dd just laughed at me when I mentioned that he was not quite what I had pictured. "Oh. Didn't I tell you what he looked like after I mentioned I met him last year?" :lol:

Anybody ever have a "Doh, you DOLT!" moment like that before?

Color me quite the stereotyper, but the new black teacher in dreds and Burmuda shorts and skateboard sneakers up there sitting on the stage was not my FIRST choice on who would walk up to the podium when introduced as the new Latin guru.

That is pretty funny. I bet that teacher likes seeing how shocked people are when they meet him.:D

It's pretty startling when our unknown stereotypes announce themselves, isn't it? I think it happens to all of us at one time or another.

I won't go where I want with this and it has nothing to do with race and all about experience. The scene there is much like the presidential election, actually.

Pam, how are things in the Art department. I understand that the memorial service is next Sunday.

Next Sunday at 5 pm. Yes. People that I spoke to yesterday (admittedly very few) were not "going there" yet. I know at least A. is pacing herself emotionally. She was fully as worked up yesterday upon leaving us as she was last fall. Poor kid.

I guess I'll get the full scoop on the art dept. situation as the week progresses. What a loss. The mind boggles.

No matter how this pans out with Mr. P, I just thought it funny that all A had to say about his physical appearance last year was that he had "interesting hair." LOL

I am officially pathetic and obviously very sheltered in my little white bread mayonaise world. :tongue_smilie:

I don't think you're pathetic for expecting a certain type. I might think you were pathetic if, upon seeing the teacher, you assumed he wouldn't be a good one, but I highly doubt that. ;) Or maybe I'm pathetic for automatically assuming, simply from your description of his appearance, that he'll be a fantastic teacher.

So we can either be pathetic, or not pathetic, together. :D

the new black teacher in dreds and Burmuda shorts and skateboard sneakers up there sitting on the stage was not my FIRST choice on who would walk up to the podium when introduced as the new Latin guru.

Way cool!! I love it when my pre-conceptions are blown out of the water.

I don't think you're pathetic for expecting a certain type. I might think you were pathetic if, upon seeing the teacher, you assumed he wouldn't be a good one, but I highly doubt that. ;) Or maybe I'm pathetic for automatically assuming, simply from your description of his appearance, that he'll be a fantastic teacher.

So we can either be pathetic, or not pathetic, together. :D

He's a brand new grad without official teaching experience. So it could go either way, but you're right, that doesn't have much to do with what his mama looked like! :D

We're hopeful. Dd's classmate and partner in Latin III crime wonders how he'll handle their rowdy ways. "Interesting" is the word they're going with right now. :001_smile:

We've had more than a few art teachers that gave me pause in the looks department...And some were great and some weren't. Hope you got a good one. I always wait for the second week review from my kids.

Graduate of classics from Boston College teaching LATIN. Do you not picture a nerdy white guy in a bowtie and glasses? (Um, with apologies to dd's LAST year Latin teacher, our own dear Brigitte's dh, who is decidedly NOT nerdy-looking. :D)

Dd just laughed at me when I mentioned that he was not quite what I had pictured. "Oh. Didn't I tell you what he looked like after I mentioned I met him last year?" :lol:

Brigitte's husband was a reasonably good warm up for this year's teacher. You'da thought you'd learn from him. ;)

Now excuse me for admitting this, but the fellow with the dreads and skateboard sneakers sound totally hunky to me. Had he been my teacher in 9th grade, I'm not sure how well I would have focused on Latin! :D

Brigitte's husband was a reasonably good warm up for this year's teacher. You'da thought you'd learn from him. ;)

Now excuse me for admitting this, but the fellow with the dreads and skateboard sneakers sound totally hunky to me. Had he been my teacher in 9th grade, I'm not sure how well I would have focused on Latin! :D

Yeah, he's cute, but he's a little slouchy. (The new guy, not Brigitte's dh. Um, slouchy, I mean. Ack.) If dd can keep her eyes off her classmate, who is a good six inches taller than last year and Ohmygoodness Very Cute, all will be well.

He's a brand new grad without official teaching experience. So it could go either way, but you're right, that doesn't have much to do with what his mama looked like! :D

We're hopeful. Dd's classmate and partner in Latin III crime wonders how he'll handle their rowdy ways. "Interesting" is the word they're going with right now. :001_smile:

LOL!!! I'm trying to imagine the kind of "rowdy" that third year Latin students come up with!!!!

Dd's classmate and partner in Latin III crime wonders how he'll handle their rowdy ways. "Interesting" is the word they're going with right now. :001_smile:

That was one of dh's worst behaved classes (if not the worst) ever. What is sad is that most of the poor behavior is attributed to the fact that some in that class were threatened by the smarts of others in the class. Perhaps a summer of maturing will help with that. Also, one problem child is not there. So, that will help significantly.

Next Sunday at 5 pm. Yes. People that I spoke to yesterday (admittedly very few) were not "going there" yet. I know at least A. is pacing herself emotionally. She was fully as worked up yesterday upon leaving us as she was last fall. Poor kid.

I guess I'll get the full scoop on the art dept. situation as the week progresses. What a loss. The mind boggles.

No matter how this pans out with Mr. P, I just thought it funny that all A had to say about his physical appearance last year was that he had "interesting hair." LOL

It is a great loss to the school. What unsung talent! He can't be replaced and certainly not by one person.

Brian. "Hey, Latin Girl!" he calls out yesterday, then runs to catch up with us. Holy smokes. He's a very handsome young man. (I quizzed dd, and she said, "Ummm, yes. He is. Definitely. And, um, TALLer." :D)

...are you holding onto your cool? Because I'm sensing just a bit of steam rising up from your part of the world!! :tongue_smilie:

Brian. "Hey, Latin Girl!" he calls out yesterday, then runs to catch up with us. Holy smokes. He's a very handsome young man. (I quizzed dd, and she said, "Ummm, yes. He is. Definitely. And, um, TALLer." :D)

Hopefully he grew in maturity, as well. See earlier post....