Menu

What is your favorite way to cook salmon filets?

Truscifi

My go-to method, that we all like, is to spread crushed garlic on the filet, then sprinkle it generously with creole seasoning, and then just cook it however you like - fry, grill, bake, whatever. It's super easy, but it's pretty tasty

This is pretty good too: http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/sweet_spicy_asian_fish.html

This is from a low-carb website, so it uses Splenda. If you prefer, you could substitute sugar or honey. Oh, and it says tilapia but you could do this with any kind of fish.

In good weather, we grill it on a cedar plank that has been soaked in water for 20 minutes.  In the winter, we cook it in the oven in a glass baking dish.  Here is the recipe we use with salmon: 

Scallion and Ginger Salmon

1/2 cup rice wine vinegar

3 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari

2 teaspoons sesame oil

1/4 cup finely chopped green onions

1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger

2 cloves fresh garlic - pressed or finely minced

1 - 1.5 lbs salmon filets.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F or start the grill on med-high.  Mix all of the sauce ingredients in a small bowl.  Place fish in an oven-proof casserole.  Drizzle the marinade over it and let sit for 10 minutes (or till oven or grill are ready.)  In the oven, bake for about 12 minutes or until the fish flakes easily.  For preparing on the grill - let them sit in the marinade for 20 minutes.  Put the soaked plank on the grill, place the salmon fillets on the plank and spoon the sauce over it.  Cover and let cook for 10 minutes and check for doneness.  There should be plenty of white fat bubbled up on the surface of the fish and it should flake easily. 

we are salmon snobs.

our motto is "friends don't let friends eat farmed salmon." (it tastes terrible. besides, it's raised in warmer atlantic waters than far north wild salmon - it doesn't have all the beneficial oils that salmon has.)

dh grills it on a sheet of foil, skin side down, slathered in lemon butter and the cover on the grill to keep in steam.  we only eat sockeye or king.

I will eat it cold leftover with dill sauce.    if I'm in the mood for something really different, I'll make salmon cakes.

I love it with a soy-based marinade on a cedar plank too. 

Salmon BLTs on sourdough with avocado

Blackened salmon in tacos or quesadillas

Salmon cakes (using canned, which is economical!)

Salmon Cobb salads, Salmon Asian salads...

sprinkle with garlic powder and lemon pepper

marinate several hours - 1 part OJ, fresh squeezed is best, 1 part soy sauce, 1 part brown sugar, 3/4 part oil.

grill or broil

all of the above recipes look great. love new ways to cook things we really like!

We also eat salmon cakes with wild, canned salmon. Yummy and cheap!

I like salmon with scrambled eggs for breakfast or a light supper.

I make salmon cakes from canned salmon. My dh and dd like them.

I like making salmon in parchment, such as http://www.marthastewart.com/971774/wild-salmon-asparagus-and-shiitakes-parchment

I like it grilled, like someone mentioned above and I have also grilled it on a cedar plank, that turns out very nice.

Good salmon is  expensive here, I don't tend to get too wild with it. I usually stick to simple recipes when using it. 

I often melt some butter in my roasting pan then roast wild salmon fillets in it.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper and that's it.

This recipe is awesome:  http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/salmon-baked-in-foil-recipe.html.

Also poaching is a nice change. I like this simple recipe from Alice Waters:  http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2009/12/dinner-tonight-shallow-poached-salmon-fillets-recipe.html.

Jacques Pepin's salmon burgers are also fantastic:  http://www.ediblecolumbus.com/item/2251-salmon-burgers-on-baby-arugula

We just made this recipe: http://www.apronstringsblog.com/one-pot-blackberry-glazed-salmon-and-asparagus/ this week and it was amazing! The only change we made was to use zucchini because we are being overrun by it right now. I just cut the zucchini about 15 minutes ahead of time, sprinkled with some salt, and then blotted on paper towels so they wouldn't be as soggy. 

Salmon is our special dinner here (very expensive).  DH has mastered grilling where the outside is just a bit crunchy while the inside is juicy-tender.  Drool!  We now like DH's better than any we have had in a restaurant.   It is so good to us, we like it very simple, usually served with green beans and rice.  Always have leftover the next day in a spinach salad. Yum.

These are great! Thank you! Keep them coming! We're going to be eating tuna once a week too, so if anyone has great ideas for tuna, bring those on too!

We had salmon steaks with garlic and seasoning seared in the pan with butter, then finished in the oven, served with sauteed cabbage.  I sort of combined a couple of ideas. It was very tasty.

Salmon is our special dinner here (very expensive).  DH has mastered grilling where the outside is just a bit crunchy while the inside is juicy-tender.  Drool!  We now like DH's better than any we have had in a restaurant.   It is so good to us, we like it very simple, usually served with green beans and rice.  Always have leftover the next day in a spinach salad. Yum.

We are lucky that we have dh's restaurant connection and my grocery store connection. We can typically find a good price on a case of...well, most things. Salmon and tuna so far seem to be the most affordable fish on the list of fish I should eat that I also like. So that's what we'll be eating a ton of for the foreseeable future.

The freshness and kind of salmon will have far more impact on taste than anything you do to it.

I hardly do anything other than slicing a lemon and putting the slices on top of the salmon.  Baked at about 375 for about 20-30 minutes, depending on thickness of the cut.  

There is a restaurant we go to that has a nice pinot reduction sauce for their salmon.  MMMMMMmmmmm.  But I don't know how to make that so we just have to eat out sometimes.  Too bad.  

My very favorite thing to eat is good quality salmon served this way: Season the filet with salt and pepper. Heat a saute pan over medium high with a little olive oil and butter (perhaps, 1/2 T each). When the pan is hot, lay your filet in and let it develop a good crust. (If the filet is skin-on, I cook the side without skin first). This should happen fairly quickly, depending on the thickness of your salmon. Turn the fillet over, and cook to your desired doneness. About one minute before it is finished, add a spoonful of capers with juice and the juice of a lemon to the pan. You can at this point either remove the salmon to a plate and top with the juices, or remove the salmon and add a pat of butter to the pan to make a more indulgent sauce.

Most fish is good this way, but salmon is the best.

I recently had a barbecued salmon at a restaurant that was basted and served with a blackberry barbecue sauce. Not something that sounded good to me but it was divine. I'm going to try to replicate it.

I second the recommendation to avoid "Atlantic" farm raised salmon.

My very favorite thing to eat is good quality salmon served this way: Season the filet with salt and pepper. Heat a saute pan over medium high with a little olive oil and butter (perhaps, 1/2 T each). When the pan is hot, lay your filet in and let it develop a good crust. (If the filet is skin-on, I cook the side without skin first). This should happen fairly quickly, depending on the thickness of your salmon. Turn the fillet over, and cook to your desired doneness. About one minute before it is finished, add a spoonful of capers with juice and the juice of a lemon to the pan. You can at this point either remove the salmon to a plate and top with the juices, or remove the salmon and add a pat of butter to the pan to make a more indulgent sauce.

Most fish is good this way, but salmon is the best.

I recently had a barbecued salmon at a restaurant that was basted and served with a blackberry barbecue sauce. Not something that sounded good to me but it was divine. I'm going to try to replicate it.

I second the recommendation to avoid "Atlantic" farm raised salmon.

Yes, the whole point of this diet change is to get the omega-3s, so it has to be wild caught salmon.

I actually found a recipe that sounds similar but used blueberries. Maybe I should give it a second look.

I eat salmon for the Omega3s, too, and I also love it. Simple cooking works fine for us. We either grill it or bake it in the oven skin side down in a glass pan sprayed with olive oil or coconut oil.

We serve it :

on a huge green salad with a somewhat sweet dressing like Balsamic vinegar

with Greek tzatziki sauce and quinoa

the same way we'd serve most meats--with veges as sides. Cooked spinach is a nice accompaniment.

I also use canned salmon. Much of it is wild-caught, too. I used to feed that to the kids when they were little with pasta, peas, and olive oil and garlic sauce topped with Parmesan cheese. They like it. It's not exactly gourmet, though!

Sardines is another source of cheaper-than-salmon Omega 3s. Because I'm not crazy about the taste/texture, I "hide" the sardines. I serve it on pasta with tomato sauce and add red pepper flakes and top with Parmesan. That is really tasty imo and is cheap and fast.

I actually don't like salmon but I am the only one in the house who doesn't like it so I cook it anyway. I will eat this recipe for Asian Salmon because the marinade masks the salmon flavor a bit. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/asian-salmon/ 

We also do salmon burgers that I buy pre-made in a frozen package - the one I get is by Trident foods and has 12 salmon patties. They are a quick go-to dinner for us when I don't want to cook. Serve on onion buns with spinach, tomato and a red pepper mayonaise.

If you like (almost) raw fish, salmon and tuna make a lovely ceviche.

Otherwise, just grilled with really simple seasoning. Normally, I'm all over fancy sauces and complicated flavors. But I like my fish mostly unadorned.

I'm not a fan of planking salmon. It just gives the fish a weird, to me, taste. Lots of people love it, though.

My go-to method, that we all like, is to spread crushed garlic on the filet, then sprinkle it generously with creole seasoning, and then just cook it however you like - fry, grill, bake, whatever. It's super easy, but it's pretty tasty

This is pretty good too: http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/sweet_spicy_asian_fish.html

This is from a low-carb website, so it uses Splenda. If you prefer, you could substitute sugar or honey. Oh, and it says tilapia but you could do this with any kind of fish.

We had the Asian fish tonight. It was delicious. Even Babyman loved it. We had trouble limiting him to his 2 oz.

Thank you!

We just made this recipe: http://www.apronstringsblog.com/one-pot-blackberry-glazed-salmon-and-asparagus/  [one-pot blackberry glazed salmon and asparagus] this week and it was amazing! The only change we made was to use zucchini because we are being overrun by it right now. I just cut the zucchini about 15 minutes ahead of time, sprinkled with some salt, and then blotted on paper towels so they wouldn't be as soggy. 

We had salmon the day this thread popped up and I used the above-linked recipe.  I didn't do the asparagus -- we had fresh corn on the cob -- so I baked the salmon in the oven until done, then did the blackberry glaze broil thing.  It was SOOO good.  Everyone in my family (nine of us) loved it.  We'll make it again. 

http://thecornerkitchenblog.com/citrus-roasted-salmon-with-spring-pea-sauce/

This. It's sooooo yummy! The way the citrus just saturates the fish, is just so yummy!

I get the recipe from the Power Foods cookbook (which I absolutely LOVE), this is it on someones website, or blog, or something. They left out lime zest- add zest of one lime to the spice/zest mixture.

I don't ever do the pea sauce- but it's probably tasty :)

You *MUST* use fresh zest! None of that old dried junk!