Menu

UPDATE: DD is starting to get stressed/depressed about her future :(

Two things.

One, I was just talking today to one of my (college-aged) children about how ALL of my children have taken after my husband regarding being concerned about their future and not free-spirited.  They're not all necessarily stressed about it, but they just think so much more about every single thing than I ever did.

But mostly I wanted to say that I had one daughter like that who decided to go into Advertising Design and Marketing.  She gets to use her art skills but supplement it with the marketing aspect which will really boost her ability to get a professional career.  She is about to start her last year of college and has absolutely loved every minute of it.

My art-math loving niece decided to study 'industrial design' , it has obviously a STEM component, but also requires artistic talent, I'm sure there are more options to combine Arts & Stem.

I was just going to suggest this. My son is quite interested in pursuing this field. Another option is to learn computer graphics - there is a company I know of that creates virtual training environments for surgeons. The software is spectacular to look at - almost like looking at film. 

Oh my!  This whole topic sounds like the talk I just had with dd earlier tonight.  Your dd sounds so much like mine, OP.  She told me that Carnegie Mellon has the major she wants to study, Communication Design.  I'm still trying to wrap my head around the idea.

So I go look at CMU's site and I saw this interesting degree , BSCA- Bachelor of Computer Science and Art program.  http://www.cmu.edu/interdisciplinary/programs/bcsaprogram.html  Now trying to find other colleges with similar options.  Maybe this can be an option to think about?

We are vigorous enough that she can pursue a STEM if she wants.  So what I have encouraged her to do is not to worry about it right now, but rather to pour more of her spare time into art to investigate the depth of her interest there.  She is ahead in math and we aren't changing that so I think she will be okay.  The only decision it changes for now is if she knew she wasn't going into biology or pharmacy she would drop Latin and exchange it for Spanish.  She doesn't like Latin and languages in general are not her strength.

You might go ahead and add the spanish, just to open that door.  It's not a commitment, just exploring paths, opening doors, seeing what happens.  She might like to go visit a school with a good pharmacy program and see what it's like.  She might get in there and realize she hates it.

Have you seen the book Do What You Are ?  It takes you through personality testing and then suggests how you relate who you are to your interests and job options.  Sometimes it even suggests disconnecting them and keeping your interest the hobby.  

Also, just as a thought process, I like to discuss with my dd how she could use her potential majors to bless the church.  A woman could study ALMOST ANYTHING and bless her local church or a ministry she's interested in.  It might give her another way to view her path.  I think if she's VERY interested in pharmacy and that's actually legit, not a concession for the purpose of earning money, she ought to pursue it.  Sometimes God's plan for us opens up on the path as we take the steps.

If one can do work they enjoy and are interested in, it makes life much easier. Sometimes, the "obvious" or most "realistic" path is not the best path for that particular person. The son of one of my cousins became an Attorney. He hated working as an Attorney. Then, he became an F.B.I. Agent and now he loves his job...

If your daughter can make a list of the pros and cons of each career field she might be interested in and qualified for, that's a place to start. How much she enjoys something I believe should weigh heavily.

You begging her not to get stressed over this is probably going to add to her stress.  I believe it is sad that people need to decide about a career before they graduate from high school, because they know so little about life at that point and how many different things there are that they might do well and enjoy doing.

She has time to make this decision!

She is a very bright, logical, practical child who happens to be outstanding at many things.  You would think this would make her happy - having many directions she "could" choose.  Instead, she finds herself worried about what is best.  Her logical side says that she needs to go the Science and Math path, but her true passion is art and she is very talented.  She is happiest when she is either creative or with young children.  She sees art fields as a dead end and everyone she talks to tells her to avoid an art career path.  I know that she is only a sophomore, but this is hindering her day to day life.  She wants to make the best decisions today to build toward her future.  I know these struggles must be common.  I was more free spirited and didn't have such worries (she is like DH, not me). How do I help her?  I have begged her not to stress and it isn't working.  :confused1:

Could this be causing more anxiety than can be soothed by comforting words?  We went through some stress issues with one of my kids.  What he really needed was ways to cope with worries and anxieties.  Herbal remedies, diet changes, meditation, mindfulness, redirecting thoughts, or anxiety medication could all be possible ways to help cope with the worries.  

ON the general topic though, as long as she keeps up with a strong math program and takes lab sciences, she will keep her options open for post high school.  I think high school provides a wonderful time to explore a variety of interests and pursuits.  She doesn't need to decide now.

Could this be causing more anxiety than can be soothed by comforting words?  We went through some stress issues with one of my kids.  What he really needed was ways to cope with worries and anxieties.  Herbal remedies, diet changes, meditation, mindfulness, redirecting thoughts, or anxiety medication could all be possible ways to help cope with the worries.  

ON the general topic though, as long as she keeps up with a strong math program and takes lab sciences, she will keep her options open for post high school.  I think high school provides a wonderful time to explore a variety of interests and pursuits.  She doesn't need to decide now.

Maybe?  I have no idea  :confused1:

UPDATE

She is doing much better.  I got her the book What Color is Your Parachute (the teen version).  We have talked so much over the last few days about simply leaving all doors open and not stressing about it right now.  The idea that several of you have mentioned in this thread about double majoring (at least at first) has helped.  We are also dropping Latin.  She hates Latin.  She was keeping it in the mix "just in case".  She has a great vocabulary and she is good at memorizing word roots, etc so I think she will be fine even if she does go into biology or pharmacy.  I see her more likely to go into mathematics or art anyway.  

She is also a great writer and has been working on a novel for some time.  One of her stresses has been whether continuing to work on it is a waste of her time?  I encouraged her to keep it up for a little while longer just to see.  She has a brilliant idea for a book series and these characters are living in her head, just dying to get out.  I'd hate to see her kill them off and move on.   :001_cool:   I would encourage her to drop it but it is what she talks about 75% of the time so it truly must mean a good bit to her.  

It must be difficult having so many talents and loves in life.  Now if only she could choose just one and pass a few down to my other kids we'd be okay  :tongue_smilie:

I'm late to this thread...but thought I'd add that dh is an architect. He went into it because it was a field that allowed him to combine his interest in art with gifts in science/math. It gives him outlets in design and developing skills like photography. It's a good career for an introvert because much of what they do on a day to day basis is sitting a computer designing. He also gets to interact with clients and people (and he's an extrovert so that's good for him) but it's not as extroverted as something like marketing.

Architecture doesn't pay great and during the economic downturn there were a lot of layoffs. However, several of his architect magazines have had articles discussing a potential need for architects in the next few years as there was a major dip in people going into the career combined with early retirements and layoffs during that downturn. So some think that now as the economy is getting better there will be more of a need for new blood. In his own firm, they had to lay off some people but now are getting very busy again so we do see an improvement. 

That is great to hear, Charleigh.  Your dd has gotten an early chance to know that that all things do not have to be decided right this second.  Life is so full of these choices, and now she has been able to put this one aside so hopefully can transfer this skill to another such decision in the future.

I'm late to this thread...but thought I'd add that dh is an architect. He went into it because it was a field that allowed him to combine his interest in art with gifts in science/math. It gives him outlets in design and developing skills like photography. It's a good career for an introvert because much of what they do on a day to day basis is sitting a computer designing. He also gets to interact with clients and people (and he's an extrovert so that's good for him) but it's not as extroverted as something like marketing.

Architecture doesn't pay great and during the economic downturn there were a lot of layoffs. However, several of his architect magazines have had articles discussing a potential need for architects in the next few years as there was a major dip in people going into the career combined with early retirements and layoffs during that downturn. So some think that now as the economy is getting better there will be more of a need for new blood. In his own firm, they had to lay off some people but now are getting very busy again so we do see an improvement. 

This is a field she has really looked into since it is mentioned to her often.  Her concerns (and maybe your DH can help answer this) is that it is supposed to be a bad career for moms.  Before you've worked long enough to get licensed, most women who want to be a mom are already wanting to stop and have kids, etc.  If you stop before licensing you are pretty much out?  

She is also a great writer and has been working on a novel for some time… She has a brilliant idea for a book series and these characters are living in her head, just dying to get out.

Sounds like the 2 of you have the Writing portion of this year's English credit jumping up and down trying to get your attention! ;) Creative Writing would be a GREAT way to accomplish half the English credit! GO FOR IT and count it as the credit! :)