Menu

Talk sanity to me on evals

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you know if this includes PDD-NOS. He was diagnosed just before the new guidelines went into effect, if that makes a difference. 

PDD-NOS was a medical diagnosis, and not listed as a qualifying condition under IDEA. A student with PDD-NOS would have to meet the criteria for one of the listed qualifying conditions in order to get an IEP. So either autism or something like speech & language impairment, specific learning disability, emotional disturbance, etc. For young kids, there is a Global Developmental Delay category (this is what my DD's original diagnosis was before it got changed to "classic" autism) but I'm not sure what age that runs up through.

PDD-NOS was a medical diagnosis, and not listed as a qualifying condition under IDEA. A student with PDD-NOS would have to meet the criteria for one of the listed qualifying conditions in order to get an IEP. So either autism or something like speech & language impairment, specific learning disability, emotional disturbance, etc. For young kids, there is a Global Developmental Delay category (this is what my DD's original diagnosis was before it got changed to "classic" autism) but I'm not sure what age that runs up through.

Okay. I will look more into IDEA. PDD-NOS qualifies him for the state autism scholarship, but the school is saying his only way to qualify for an IEP (which he needs to get the scholarship) is by having poor enough social skills. They are going to do some kind of 1:1 assessment with him via the district, but he's 2e, and his Woodcock Johnson scores are wonderful. He has dysgraphia/disorder of written expression, but they didn't say much about that. I am concerned that they are going to block this while being polite and proactive.

Not like I know a ton about this, but did your psych run any social skills tests on him?  I mean, I'm reading on this SocialThinking.com site about the levels of social thinking.  What is the school proposing to do?  

That's what I'm going to ask. I am to bring anymore documentation I can (former school counselor, teachers, etc.). She ran diagnostic stuff, but I don't know of any tests for social skills, specifically. I think that's observational.

I am preparing to ask questions and trying to think of all the stuff that qualifies him for a diagnosis. Ohio supposedly follows the IDEA definition. He has been diagnosed via a psych with the impairments necessary to receive services; I don't know how they can turn him down, but I will be approaching this like I need to prove it all over again. DH is helping me sift through materials.