Menu

Iliad- which translation?

Are you using the Memoria Press guide and teaching materials for The Iliad, too? If so, it is keyed to go with the Butler version. I don't know how closely it is keyed to the Butler version (for example, down to page numbers and direct quotations), so that may or may not be an issue.

If not using the Memoria Press guide (or if the guide is flexible enough to not matter about edition), then I suggest having your 9th grader read the first few pages of several different versions to see which the student best connects with.

The past thread Please list your favorite translations may be of help. Below are the opening lines from the "big four" of the translation versions, and you can see some real differences.

Finally, here's an explanation of the poetic style of the work:  Schmoop: The Iliad Writing Style.

While western poetry (up until the 20th century, when free verse came into popularity) was defined by a structure largely based on:

- end-rhyme schemes
- variety of  syllable patterns (but consistent use of the same pattern for a single poem)
- set number of line in a stanza, or specific number of total lines, with specific things happening at certain lines (for example: the form of several types of sonnets = 12 lines, and then the "vuelta", or the "turn" of the poem for the ending couplet (last 2 lines) for a total of 14 lines)

In contrast, what "makes a poem" for the Ancient Greeks is a structure that is based on:
- use of extended similes
- use of one syllable pattern: dactylic hexameter (which is extremely difficult to recreate with English words)

Translation is always tricky with poetry, because you're not just trying to nail down the words closest in meaning, but also trying to capture imagery and metaphor, alliteration, and in this case, a specific syllable pattern. My understanding is that both Fagles and Fitzgerald are poetic translations of The Iliad — Fagles uses more contemporary vocabulary and emphasizes the action, while Fitzgerald uses older more nuanced language and emphasizes poetic imagery. In contrast, a prose translation translates the story but without attempting to recreate the extended similes, dactylic hexameter syllable pattern, or recreate the poetic sound devices (such as alliteration) in English. I know Butler has a prose translation; just not familiar with his work to know if he also has a poetic translation as well, and if so, which version of Butler is sold by Memoria Press.

Hope something there is of help as you decide! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Butler translation:
Sing, O goddess, the anger of Achilles son of Peleus, that
brought countless ills upon the Achaeans. Many a brave soul
did it send hurrying down to Hades, and many a hero did it
yield a prey to dogs and vultures, for so were the counsels of
Jove fulfilled from the day on which the son of Atreus, king of
men, and great Achilles, first fell out with one another.

Fagles translation:
Rage: Goddess, sing the rage of Peleus' son Achilles,
murderous, doomed, that cost the Achaeans countless losses,
hurling down to the House of Death so many sturdy souls,
great fighters' souls, but made their bodies carrion,
feasts for the dogs and birds,
and the will of Zeus was moving toward its end.
Begin, Muse when the two first broke and clashed,
Agamemnon lord of men and brilliant Achilles.

Fitzgerald translation:
Anger be now your song, immortal one,
Akhilleus' anger, doomed and ruinous,
that caused the Akhaians loss on bitter loss
and crowded brave souls into the under gloom,
leaving so many dead men: carrion
for dogs and birds; and the will of Zeus was done.
Begin it when the two men first contending
broke with one another:
the Lord Marshal
Agamemnon, Atreus' son, and Prince Akhilleus.

Lattimore translation:

Sing, goddess, the anger of Peleus' son Achilleus

and its devastation, which put pains thousandfold upon the Achaians,

hurled in their multitudes to the house of Hades strong souls

of heroes, but gave their bodies to be the delicate feasting

of dogs, of all birds, and the will of Zeus was accomplished

since that time when first there stood in division of conflict

Atreus' son the lord of men and brilliant Achilleus

Edited by Lori D.

Thank you, Lori.😊 You are always a wealth of information.

I am considering using the MP materials for the Iliad, I  just wanted to make sure it was a good translation before I bought all the resources.  I've seen a lot of references to the Fagles translation, but haven't seen much about Butler.

I had my son read the three samples you posted, and he picked Butler.

Thanks for your help!

On 8/4/2014 at 10:57 AM, Allison TX said:

I had my son read the three samples you posted, and he picked Butler.

Oops, Allison, I only had 3 of the "big 4" translations -- forgot to include Fitzgerald. I have edited to include his version.

Have fun with The Iliad! Take your time and be patient with the "laundry list" chapters; our DSs really got into the language and the epic action and themes. They were 8th and 9th grades, so I'll bet this will be a fun fit for your DS, too! Enjoy!

Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.