Menu

After Abeka/Horizons 6 math, what next?

For Saxon (or TT), you'd take the placement test. Lial's would be the Pre-Algebra book.

Theoretically, you could try Jacobs Algebra, but you might have to fill in with some Khan Academy videos or Key To books for anything that you hadn't covered with Horizons/Abeka.

I'm looking for something other than Horizons to continue with because the teacher manuals aren't much help for someone with weak math knowledge.  I don't doubt it's a good curriculum continuing into higher levels; I just need much more teacher support than what it offers in the elementary grades.  I'll look at the samples of the Pre-Alg. TMs, but unless it has a lot of hand-holding, I'm not sure it will work.

That's why I've been using Abeka alongside it, for the detailed, scripted lessons.  Abeka isn't on my list of top choices because I've read many reviews stating it gets weaker in the upper grades (Pre-Alg. & up).  After a lesson-by-lesson comparison of the 6th grade level of each of the above (to plan out my own lessons for eliminating redundancy), Horizons does go further in scope.

I was considering Saxon, Lial's, and others that offer videos, online classes, and/or other supplemental help.

I'd switch to Saxon, personally.  The way they weave geometry into the curricula allows you time to reach the higher maths, if you desire.

Saxon's geometry is contained partly in one of its higher math books, if "Advanced Mathematics" is higher math:
"In John Saxon's math books, students who complete the entirety of the second or third edition of Algebra 2 have also completed the equivalent of the first semester of Formal Geometry . If parents would rather use another term, Analytic Geometry could be used.

While finishing the first half of Advanced Mathematics, the student completes the equivalent of the second semester of formal or Analytic Geometry . Students continue to do geometry problems and proofs throughout the remainder of the textbook, but no new geometry concepts are introduced.

Whenever I am asked what geometry title to put on the transcript, I tell parents to use just the title of Geometry. I cannot recall ever seeing a high school transcript that recorded Formal Geometry, Informal Geometry, Analytic Geometry, non-Analytic Geometry, Euclidean Geometry, or non-Euclidean Geometry. The transcript reflected just Geometry."
-Art Reed
http://www.homeschoolwithsaxon.com/review-credit.php

both my kids did Horizons through 6.  Ds did the Derek Owens Prealgebra last year.  It was a good step to independent work.  He watched the video and worked through the workbook.  Then there were more problems to do on your own as well as a homework sheet.  It balanced out very well.  Dd will do the same this year.  

Ds is going to try the DrCallahan videos this year with Jacob's algebra.  (the DO program got pricey for Alg and up)

I will say that Saxon is my backup choice and I would have put them in 1/2.  Horizons is solid...I think transitioning to another program is the hard part.  My son felt like Derek Owens was more work, but really it just had more white space on the pages.  

Both kids watched a lot of video programs and the Dr Callahan one was the only one they both were willing to watch.  I would have stayed with Derek Owens if it wasn't a monthly fee.  I see more companies going to a streaming service and we really wanted a video program so both kids can use it for one price!

OK, that's a good reason.

I would say that most pre-algebra courses would be a good fit. I'd consider one with either dvd or online instruction for a parent with weak math skills. Here's some to consider:

Chalkdust

Derek Owens

Jann in TX (talk to her about whether pre-algebra 1 or 2 would be a better fit)

I don't really think that just choosing Lial's would work well if you need a scripted teacher manual.