Menu

What's up with this egg?

idnib

So I cracked open an egg this morning and it was unlike any egg I've seen. Out plopped a solid-ish white, surrounded by thin watery liquid. The white holds it's ovoid shape but is softer than a hard-boiled egg. It's opaque, not clear like raw egg whites should be.

I haven't poked into the white to see the yolk because I don't want to see a baby chick if that's what's going on.

Any ideas?

OK, I cut into the yolk and there's nothing. It looks like a perfect poached egg. I guess it cooked in the shell. I have no idea how as the other 11 eggs in the carton were normal. I'm not sure what the watery liquid was.

I'm feeling vaguely disappointed.

I was kind of hoping there was a big creepy eye in there or something.

What a letdown. ;)

Me too, I was looking forward to a "mystery".

Maybe if idnib goes through the rest of the eggs, she will find something really cool.

Or maybe she will simply have the common courtesy to lie to us and say she sorted through the rest of the eggs and found something amazing.

If she's feeling especially nice, she could probably Google and find a picture of something particularly hideous, and post it here, saying it was inside her egg.

Not that I'm hinting or anything, because that would be wrong. ;)

(Bur really, idnib, throw us a bone here!!! :D)

They must have new pullets starting to lay.... strange things happen with teenage pullets eggs. 

If the yolk is white, it's a nutritional imbalance thing. 

An egg that's been frozen might also look like you described--minus the white yolk.

Is the farm's refrigerator getting too cold? 

Mystery solved!!!

DD6 heard me telling DH I was going to call the farm today.  She told me she took an egg outside all day as part of her "kitchen play" with a friend. It was left outside all day in the heat and I didn't know there was an egg in the cardboard box "fridge". At the end of the day, when I asked them to clean up, she returned the egg to the carton in the fridge. I guess it partially cooked in the heat of the box while it was in the sun all day.