Menu

Which of these is the best vocab curric. for this 8th grader?

I'll be homeschooling an 8th grader that has never had a formal, separate vocabulary program before.  He spent previous years solidifying spelling, which came hard for him, so he's not had root word study or lists of vocabulary words.

I've got the following: English from the Roots Up 1, Vocabulary from Classical Roots A, and Sadlier-Oxford Vocab Workshop A.  I'm willing to buy MCT if it looks like a better fit than these.  My main concern is choosing something that is up to par for 8th grade and will be a good fit for him (a challenge he can meet), but not so hard he's defeated from the start.

Here are my thoughts and concerns about each.  If you have any experience or knowledge of any of these, I'd love to hear your response.

In English from the Roots Up, there is a list of words with each root.  Are those to be memorized, or just the main root with its definition?  Lessons look teacher-intensive; is there a way to reduce this?  At 8th gr., is it too late to start EftRU 1 (purely roots-focused) vs. more of a "regular" vocabulary program?

Vocabulary from Classical Roots looks like something he could do, but it also needs teacher presentation/introduction.  The TM is clear though, so there's no question what is or is not to be done vs. EftRU where I'm unsure what to do each day.

Sadlier-Oxford Vocab Workshop looks a bit more independent; I could still go over any parts with him as needed, but the print is tiny and it doesn't involve as much root word study as VfCR. :(

MCT - it's been awhile since I've looked at the online samples.  Does this sound like it might be a good fit in this situation?

Thanks!

My kids do MCT's Caesar's English series followed by Sadlier-Oxford. Oldest DD placed into level B of S-O and now is in E. I plan to finish out the series if we can before she stops HSing.

DS just finished CE2 and is currently doing a quick run-through of S-O orange because I have it on my shelf. After that, I am considering Vocabu-Lit E. I have always liked the looks of Vocabu-Lit but it is on the easier side and my oldest would have had to go into the 10th grade book after CE2. DS does not have as strong a working vocab as his sister so I think it would be good for him.

My kids are only slightly above average. We've used Sadlier-Oxford in the past, but it was too easy even at a level or two ahead. The kids learned nothing new. I also have EftRU, but I am too busy to make it work. My compromise is Vocabulary from Classical Roots because it is more than just vocabulary. We may do two levels a year if necessary.

My three children used English from the Roots Up Vol 1 over the course of two years at various grade levels, early elementary up to 6th. It was scheduled in My Father's World Creation to Greeks and Rome to the Reformation. We did it as a group: presentation of the lesson, follow-up memory checks. The kids created/wrote sentences with the words on their own. How much you require with the derivations is up to you. I required my oldest to do all of the words.

I'd say it is more teacher intensive than a workbook but the lessons are short. Follow-up memory work probably takes the most time. I loved it for group lessons because we could turn it into a game. I'd consider it more introductory. I'd suspect more work would be needed with the words to really retain all of them well, but working with an older student may make a difference in that area. I am also looking at Vocabulary from Classical Roots for my now-8th grader (this is the same kid who was 5th and 6th when we did English from the Roots Up).