What day did you start school?  

226 members have voted

1. 1. What day did you start school?

• Mid August
    • Late August
    • Day after Labor Day
    • Mid September
    • Other

What day did you start school?  I'm just curious.  When I was in school, we didn't start school until the day after Labor Day. 

There was an article in today's paper about how the children are going to be let out two hours early the first ten days of school due to the heat.  School here starts August 19.  Then they go on to say "in early fall" ... I'm sorry but August 19-29 are SUMMER, not fall.  If they waited until fall to start school, it wouldn't be so hot.  I don't understand the early start of school these days.

I voted "late August," but I think it might have been closer to "mid-August."  It's been a really, really, really, really, really, really, really long time, so I can't recall exactly.  That was in S. FL.  Here, they all start the day after Labour Day.

We started the Monday after Labor Day, but did not get out until the end of June. Since NCLB instituted mandatory annual testing (rather than only in 3rd, 5th, and 8th), my hometown shifted the calendar to have an earlier start and an earlier end. That way they have more instructional days prior to the test and fewer after.

Although we started the day after Labor Day, we were still out of school in early June.  I think adding more days off during the school year is odd (at least to me it is).  We didn't have tons of unnecessary days off during the actual school year.  The way they do it now, it seems like children only get two months off for summer break rather than three.  I know from talking to people who have children in public school, having days off during the school year that aren't actual holidays, makes finding care for them on those days difficult sometimes.

I'm in Australia, and always started at the very beginning of Feb, which is the last month of summer, here. We had pupil free days due to the heat in primary school, if the day was forecast to be above a certain temperature. At highschool we had a shortened lunch and early dismissal on very hot days.

I went to a private school in HI; we started mid-Aug. My sibs went to public school and started late Aug. I remember always being in school at least a week or two before they started. Can't remember if I finished any earlier. They also had shorter school days--by more than an hour--and half days on Weds.

In elementary school, it started a day or so after Labor Day.  In high school, might have been a day or two before Labor Day.

My kids' school started on August 25 last year IIRC, and this year it starts August 27.  Interestingly, the last day of school this year will be earlier than last year.  No idea why.  Maybe the teachers are taking fewer professional days or whatever.

What day did you start school?  I'm just curious.  When I was in school, we didn't start school until the day after Labor Day. 

There was an article in today's paper about how the children are going to be let out two hours early the first ten days of school due to the heat.  School here starts August 19.  Then they go on to say "in early fall" ... I'm sorry but August 19-29 are SUMMER, not fall.  If they waited until fall to start school, it wouldn't be so hot.  I don't understand the early start of school these days.

We started the day after Labor Day but didn't get out until the end of the third week of June, around the 21st. Which is how it is where my sister currently teaches, in Northern VA.  Here, they start in early August, but they get out before Memorial Day. They still go for the same amount of time (they have 10 weeks off, which is MORE than enough). I kind of liked it when mine were still in public school. We could do a whole lot more outside in June than we could in August. I also liked having a fall break and a spring break. Gave the kids a much needed respite.

I picked the day after Labor Day, but it was actually always the Wednesday after Labor Day, and still is in my old school district (upstate NY). Here it is Late August, and has been that way since my dh went to school

Although we started the day after Labor Day, we were still out of school in early June.  I think adding more days off during the school year is odd (at least to me it is).  We didn't have tons of unnecessary days off during the actual school year.  The way they do it now, it seems like children only get two months off for summer break rather than three.  I know from talking to people who have children in public school, having days off during the school year that aren't actual holidays, makes finding care for them on those days difficult sometimes.

Around here, there are lots of day camps that run during those special one week breaks. There are also places that run special one day programs. And many working parents make arrangements with friends. I haven't heard of large numbers of people that have major issues. The calendar should be based on what is best academically for the children, keeping in mind that is the school's number one responsibility.

I picked the day after Labor Day, but it was actually always the Wednesday after Labor Day, and still is in my old school district (upstate NY). Here it is Late August, and has been that way since my dh went to school

I visited family in upstate NY this past June. I was stunned that their kids were still in school while I was there. There last day was June 25th.

Here we typically started on/around August 25 and finished by June 10. It's still very much the same now. When my younger sisters were in high school, they tried moving back the start day to early August in order to finish by the end of May, but nobody liked that and it was switched back pretty quickly.

I grew up in CA, where we always started just after Labor Day. My high school graduation date was something like June 17th. It was very strange to me to have to be at college (in MO) in mid-August that year. The good news the next year, though, was that I got a head start on the other college students trying to land a Summer job.

My Mom told me it was because back in her day, they needed the students to be available to help with harvesting crops. 

I didn't go to school in the states. The school year back home starts every year for the whole country on Jan 2nd if it is a weekday. If Jan 2nd falls on a weekend, the first Monday after (Jan 3rd or Jan 4th) is the first day of school year.

My local school district start back Aug 18th.

When I was in school we started just after Labor Day.

Here we start next week on August 6. However we get out on May 29 where most schools go to mid-June, and we get a week off in October, 4 weeks off at Christmas, and a week off in March, not to mention at least one long weekend per month due to various Malaysian public holidays.

When I was elementary age I was in a year round school, so my track was still in school and we got out in August/September.

When I was in high school, I remember the marching band had band camp (practicing everyday for two weeks before regular school started) and it (band camp) began August 12

The day after Labor Day sounds about right, I just remember mid to late September.

The public schools here start on August 25, so my tentative start date is August 24 (we don't go to church so there's no reason NOT to do school on Sundays) but I don't think that's realistic relative to the harvest and canning season.

I could stay up all night canning while my kids slept and do school when they woke up when I was in my 30s. In my 50s it just ain't gonna happen that way.

Other. In NZ we start back the first week of Feb or last week of January and finish in about 20th December. When I was a kid there were 3 13 week terms with two week breaks between. Now there are 4 10 week terms with 2 week breaks between. It works out the same because now the holidays are varied a bit so Easter is during them whereas when I was a kid Easter was an additional break from Fri to Tues inclusive.

We always started the Wed before Labor Day. Had 3 half days and then that Mon off. Tues after Labor Day was our first full day of school. That was SW PA. I'm in GA now and our county starts Mon the 4th. But they have a lot more days off than I had in school.

And I have heard of schools that start as early as August 8th.  To me, that makes no sense at all.

DS2 starts August 6.  But he's at an early college high school and they need the early start in order to get in the required number of days for high school and mesh with the college's schedule.  Heat isn't an issue here since all schools have AC.

When I was a kid the Catholic schools we attended started early -- in late August. The public schools all started after Labor Day. My senior year in high school school started on my birthday, so my friends got the office to open my locker before I got there and put a large yellow teddy bear in it. They then made me stand around outside with it while I waited for the rest of my carpool so everyone could get a good look at my present.

That was in Minnesota, where things were hot, but not as hot as down here in SE Texas. Our schools got out in late May, while the public schools all got out in early June. Here the private schools all start a week or so before the public schools and schools get out in late May/early June. But public schools start in mid-August now, and private schools start in the early half of the month. The only reason I can see is so they can have more vacation days throughout the school year, since the number of days of instruction haven't increased.

I had three different schedules, I think, when I was in high school, because they were fiddling around with year round schooling. But I was talking to a relative "back home" and they start in August; the schools near where I now live start after Labor Day. When I was in school we almost finished June, though, and in some places, the kids are out in early June.

It may also depend on where you live in the US.  I've discovered that different areas have different start dates.   That said, I still live in the area where I grew up.  We used to start school the day after Labor Day, but now it starts in late Aug.  There are a lot more day's off than when I was a kid.  Most of them are administrative days off rather than religious/state ones (when I was a kid we got off Jewish Holidays and MLK day - plus *both* Pres. day - now it's just one day).

Agreed, but here at least, we need the farm calendar. we need those kids available during harvest

And even for the "townies" the longer summers meant the teens could actually get a summer job and earn some money. With shorter summers I've been hearing about harder times for teens to land summer jobs, since employers are loathe to go through the paperwork for someone who will work less than 2 months.

The University of MN starts its school year in latter September. This is to allow students the time to work harvests and/or the state fair (one of the best fairs in the country, IMO). Students earn a lot of money this way, which helps defray the cost of their college years.

The day after Labor Day sounds about right, I just remember mid to late September.

The public schools here start on August 25, so my tentative start date is August 24 (we don't go to church so there's no reason NOT to do school on Sundays) but I don't think that's realistic relative to the harvest and canning season.

I could stay up all night canning while my kids slept and do school when they woke up when I was in my 30s. In my 50s it just ain't gonna happen that way.

My initial intention was to homeschool year round, somewhat, with a lighter schedule over the summer. This would allow us to take vacations during the school year when the temperatures are more pleasant and travel costs are lower.

However, what with langour brought on by high heat (even in our a/c'd home) and the usual "let's get together" events with non-homeschooling family I'm finding our summers quite literally melting away. Turns out I want that break, and time to plan, as much as the kids do.

So I decided to start our homeschool year even earlier, before the private schools (though not by much). We are officially starting August 11th this year, though that first day is a field trip day (to catch an exhibit before it leaves town). I have 1 week left in which to finish my planning and deep clean our homeschool rooms.

Even so, we can still take a break for a couple of months in the summer, do our 4-4.5 day per week school schedule, and still afford the time off during the school year for our vacations. The flexibility of homeschooling is AWESOME!

I voted mid-September, but it was actually more like later Sept -- Sept 21 or so.

I then moved to a state where the official start was always just after Labor Day -- but they don't do that anymore.  They keep moving it into August. 

And even my old school district is now starting in Aug. I hope they've put AC in the schools.  They didn't have it when I was a kid and Sept could be brutal.

I've always refused to start before Labor Day and generally not that first week all the other kids are back in school either.  It's still SUMMER.

Is this all driven by the AP test schedule?  I can't imagine any other reason for doing it.  Can't all the other tests be moved around at the state's discretion?  I do recall hearing at one point how schools were annoyed that the first week of May AP tests meant their students had 5 weeks less of instruction before the test, and that then those classes had "nothing to do" for the last 5 weeks of class.

I lived in the Northeast as a kid. I think we typically started a day or two after Labor Day. I see that they have moved it back to the Thursday before that in the district where I went for grades 3-9, and the district where I went for 10-12 is starting the Monday before. We were typically in school until around June 20.

Here (Southeast), year-round schools start July 7 or so, and regular calendar August 25. They are usually out the first week of June. It was a bit later this past year as a result of failure to plan for enough inclement weather days.