Menu

What's with the ads?

ocelotmom

Well-Trained Fitbits

Welcome, Laura!

Thanks, Jean.  After my yoga class this evening, my Fitbit thinks I climbed an extra twelve flights of stairs.  Oh well, it was exercise, however the beast wanted to categorise it..  

I reached my 5,000 step goal, so maybe I should up it a bit.  I'm hoping for a good walk in the morning, as Husband is cooking breakfast and taking Hobbes to school.

• Like 1

I'm on vacation at Disney World, wearing my new Charge HR...and I left the charger at home on the desk :eek:

I stopped wearing it at night, in hopes of preserving the battery life. It is almost dead (according to the app when I synced after lunch) after charging it last Wednesday.

Have been averaging 7.5 miles walked (much at a leisurely pace), with an average of 75 active minutes (those long stretches of quick walking).

• Like 1

I wanna join :) (sent a PM)

I got a Charge HR last week.  I am loving it.  I think I need to lower my steps goal.  I got to 10,000 on Saturday, but otherwise I don't tend to get much above 6,000.

• Like 1

We're going to WDW next month, and I'm glad you posted this so I can add "Fitbit charger" to my packing list! :)

• Like 1

We're going to WDW next month, and I'm glad you posted this so I can add "Fitbit charger" to my packing list! :)

Learn from my mistake!

I had "charges" on my packing list---remembered the ones for the phone, the ipad, and the kindle, but not the FitBit :lol:

• Like 1

Back in the game after taking my Fitbit off for a month. Darn thing kept giving me trouble, but it seems to be working now which I'm kind of bummed about because I was looking into a better model. 

• Like 1

I took advantage of my advanced time zone to be top of the leader board for a moment yesterday.  I should have taken a screen shot - it will never happen again.

• Like 8

For those of you who are getting 20,000+ steps a day ~

I am envious.  How are you getting in so many steps?

Please tell me you all have treadmills at home and are using those.  I have to go outside and with temps below zero today and 8 inches of snow yesterday, there is no way I can walk the 10 miles to hit over 20,000.

I was happy to have enough energy and desire (after looking at how many steps you all were posting) to get in my 10,000 yesterday.

;)

• Like 1

Please tell me you all have treadmills at home and are using those.  I have to go outside and with temps below zero today and 8 inches of snow yesterday, there is no way I can walk the 10 miles to hit over 20,000.

I was happy to have enough energy and desire (after looking at how many steps you all were posting) to get in my 10,000 yesterday.

;)

Well, currently I'm at the top and it's because of an error. :) My battery ran out yesterday and when I replaced it somehow everything cleared but the steps. I had a lot of steps the day before (about 16,000K) and so it started me off in the middle of the day with 16K steps, even though really it should have been much less. I think at the end of the day it recorded 22K. I tried to figure out how to change the number for the day but I couldn't. Today it's back to normal (cleared at midnight). That's why it looks like I have a ton of steps but only like 2 miles. 

The times I have walked that much it's mostly outside. I live in Virginia and although it's been cold for us, it's still possible to be outside and we haven't had enough snow to make a difference. Plus, I have a dog that needs a lot of exercise. So even on the few single digit days or days of sleet and snow someone has to take her out and it's usually me. 

• Like 2

I get such a kick out of the stats.  I'm sixth in mileage, but tenth in steps.  That's what I get for having a long stride! ;)

• Like 3

I've never gotten 20k but I have gotten 15k a few times. This past week it happened twice; once when I ran 4 miles and another time when I ran 2 miles & also managed to go for a walk the same day. Prior to last week, I hadn't hit 15k since the end of October.

I can't get over 10k unless I do some sort of exercise for at least 30 minutes, it's a lot more difficult for me to do that in the winter.

• Like 2

I did an 8 mile run yesterday, plus cleaning for a Superbowl party. It was cold and windy yesterday (30s) but nothing like below zero and snow. I prefer to exercise outside, but will skip if it's below 20, which is rare here.

• Like 3

I am envious. How are you getting in so many steps?

Please tell me you all have treadmills at home and are using those. I have to go outside and with temps below zero today and 8 inches of snow yesterday, there is no way I can walk the 10 miles to hit over 20,000.

;)

I've gotten 20k + a few times, though I average maybe 13-14k a day. I don't have a treadmill though, I usually take walk in the morning and again in the evening. I also live in Hawaii, so the weather isn't really an issue. We hike a good bit too. :)

• Like 3

I am all happy and patting myself on the back when I get my modified goal of 6000. :). I will work my way up to 10000 when the weather is better.

• Like 8

;)

I don't usually get that many (I range 7,500-10,000), but I did on Saturday.  I was reading a book that was more textbooky than fun to read and I was determined to finish it (I had over 200 pages to go) but sitting and reading was driving me crazy so I started walking around and around my house while reading.  It is about 65 steps per complete circuit of my main floor, by the way.  And my house got really clean because every circle I made I'd pick something up and put it where it belonged as I walked.

• Like 3

I upped my goal by 100 steps this week.  I know - a big number, right?  But my goal is my minimum for even pain days.  On good days I easily surpass it by a thousand steps or more.  So tiny increases in my goal are best for me.

• Like 8

Have you all seen this: https://fitforfood.fitbit.com/, and this? When Fitbitters who sign up burn 1 billion calories, Fitbit will donate 1.5 million meals to Feeding America.  I'm not sure if those of you outside the US can participate or if they have similar programs in your country.

ETA It looks like it only counts active calories, but it's still neat.

• Like 1

So I think when I changed from my One to my Charge HR it reset my account and kicked me out. I'm going to rerequest to join if  that's okay.

I also don't know how some of you get so many steps in! I have a hard time meeting my adjusted goal of  5,000 if I'm not doing 30 min on the elliptical. I can't imagine getting 15,000+ in 1 day. That being said I am going  to work on reliably hitting my 10,000 goal daily within the next month.

Also, for any of you considering the Charge HR I thought I would give you my thoughts. I'm a short, small framed woman  (5'3") and I ordered the small. It fits but barely, there isn't much extra room on the band, but I'm okay with that because it means  there isn't any flapping around. It's a little uncomfortable  and took some getting used to. The hard part actually extends over my wrist, but for the most part I've gotten used to it. When I exercise I move  it up my arm like they  suggest and that seems to help, but I have very little extra room on the band so I can't move  it a full 3 fingers  up. The  first couple of times I worked out with it I also wore my Polar FT4 with it. I found the heart rates to be very similar, the Charge would have my heart rate go back to normal quicker than the FT4 but it wasn't a huge  difference. I now only wear the Charge and I am okay with their estimates.

IMO the sleep function is useless. It  tells me I'm "sleeping" when I'm in bed watching TV or reading before bed so I found it  really overestimates how much sleep I'm getting. I also wasn't comfortable sleeping with it so I take it off most nights. The downside is I love the silent alarm, so if  I need to be  up at a certain time I will use it for that. One function I thought I wouldn't care about was the caller ID but man I love that! Especially when we're working on school and I have my phone on silent it's so nice to have a quick vibration and look at my  wrist and know if I need to answer  the phone or not.

• Like 2

Thanks for the review, NavyMommy.

Dd11's fitbit won't charge anymore and dh suggested giving mine to her and buying a Charge for me.

I'm still undecided.

Thanks for the review, NavyMommy.

Dd11's fitbit won't charge anymore and dh suggested giving mine to her and buying a Charge for me.

I'm still undecided.

I'm enjoying my charge HR.  I have the small size and keep it on the smallest-but-one hole.  I haven't had to move it up my arm.  I don't find it uncomfortable, but I often used to wear my watch at night before anyway.

It does over-count my sleep at the beginning of the night (before I actually fall asleep), but I do like that it validates my feelings when I wake up unrested - I can always see the restlessness in the night's record when I do.

I particularly like the heart beat monitor, as it helps me to make sure to get the intensity of exercise that I want.  I also love the silent alarm.

L

• Like 1

I'm enjoying my charge HR. I have the small size and keep it on the smallest-but-one hole. I haven't had to move it up my arm. I don't find it uncomfortable, but I often used to wear my watch at night before anyway.

It does over-count my sleep at the beginning of the night (before I actually fall asleep), but I do like that it validates my feelings when I wake up unrested - I can always see the restlessness in the night's record when I do.

I particularly like the heart beat monitor, as it helps me to make sure to get the intensity of exercise that I want. I also love the silent alarm.

L

Thanks, Laura.

I also love the silent alarm of my flex! I'm not sure I need the heart rate function of the Charge, but I do like that it counts stairs.

Also, for any of you considering the Charge HR I thought I would give you my thoughts. I'm a short, small framed woman  (5'3") and I ordered the small. It fits but barely, there isn't much extra room on the band, but I'm okay with that because it means  there isn't any flapping around. It's a little uncomfortable  and took some getting used to. The hard part actually extends over my wrist, but for the most part I've gotten used to it. When I exercise I move  it up my arm like they  suggest and that seems to help, but I have very little extra room on the band so I can't move  it a full 3 fingers  up. The  first couple of times I worked out with it I also wore my Polar FT4 with it. I found the heart rates to be very similar, the Charge would have my heart rate go back to normal quicker than the FT4 but it wasn't a huge  difference. I now only wear the Charge and I am okay with their estimates.

IMO the sleep function is useless. It  tells me I'm "sleeping" when I'm in bed watching TV or reading before bed so I found it  really overestimates how much sleep I'm getting. I also wasn't comfortable sleeping with it so I take it off most nights. The downside is I love the silent alarm, so if  I need to be  up at a certain time I will use it for that. One function I thought I wouldn't care about was the caller ID but man I love that! Especially when we're working on school and I have my phone on silent it's so nice to have a quick vibration and look at my  wrist and know if I need to answer  the phone or not.

Totally agree about the sizing.  I got the small originally.  I'm a big woman (very big) overall, but my wrists and fingers are very thin.  It's something people often comment about, they are that thin.  It was sort of comfortable on the third or fourth notch, but it just never was totally comfortable.  I got a large and gave the small to my almost 15 year old daughter.  It fits her perfectly.  I was talking to a friend yesterday and she was complaining about the sizing of her Charge HR.  She is very small overall and she needs to have it on the 2nd notch and so it annoys her a bit that she can't use the little slider thing to hold the end of the band down.  She is considering getting a large.  Even with the large, I am most comfortable on the 6th or 7th slot.  I could tighten it significantly.  Using the measuring thingy on the side of the box, I should definitely be wearing a small.

Mine seems to be very good about telling when I am sleeping.  The time I go to actual sleep is always totally accurate even though I read a while every night before going to sleep.  I think I move around a lot when I am awake, though.  It's totally explained why I am still tired in the mornings.  I am a very restless sleeper apparently (my parents always said I slept like an egg beater!) and so I don't get a whole lot of deep sleep.  Not sure how to fix that, though.  My daughter says the sleep tracker is not totally accurate for her.  She'll know she woke up during the night, but it doesn't show her as waking.  I think that's because years of insomnia have led to her just laying completely still even when she wakes up during the night.  She regularly goes to sleep and wakes up in the exact same position.

Caller ID doesn't work with my Fire Phone.  My daughter loves that option with her iPhone.  She keeps her ringer off and doesn't get many calls anyway so if she does get a call it's usually important so the buzzing on her wrist is great for her.

I am all happy and patting myself on the back when I get my modified goal of 6000. :). I will work my way up to 10000 when the weather is better.

My goal is 6000, too. I can usually make that if I go to the gym and shopping in addition to daily household activities. I can get 10,000 if I go for a long (multi-hour) walk or on workdays, where I walk up and down long hallways for much of the day. The most I've gotten in a single day since I started using this thing in August is about 12,500 (work + gym). So yeah, the people who consistently make 15-20,000 kind of baffle me. I have a hard time seeing doing that unless I was walking most of the day (or going for long runs).

I suspect it has something to do with stride length. I'm 5'11, and it's sometimes been noted that I'm taking 1/3 to 1/2 less steps than shorter people walking with me. But if that were a major factor, you'd think my position on the leaderboard for steps and distance would be disproportionately different, and they really aren't. Maybe I need to actually measure my stride length.

I have a Charge HR. I measured myself before ordering and was on the higher end of the small/lower end of the large. The website said to size up if one is between sizes. I have the large and wear it on the fourth smallest notch (third notch fits like a watch would but the fitbit leaves an impression behind).

We discovered this morning that dh wakes to the silent alarm :lol:

• Like 1

I can easily get 12-13k if I spend time on the treadmill in the morning, either running or a long, brisk walk.  Otherwise I have to be creative to get to 10k. The fitness center at our apartment complex is closed this week, so I'm resorting to doing laps around the playground equipment at the park while the kids are playing, and going out after the kids go to bed to walk around our building and go up and down stairs from our third-floor apartment.

• Like 1

To get past 10k I need to walk for an hour.  That's normally about four miles - the rest of the steps will come just from normal life.  I've only managed 15k once, and that was on an all-afternoon family walk.  I don't have a treadmill.  I wish my company would spring for a treadmill desk for me.

L

I am now the dork wearing two fitness bands on my wrist. We got an Amiigo off of ebay because it really seems like the best option for DH. But I decided I want to try it first. Just for a few days. Really.

I'll write a bit more about it in a few days. It doesn't have a lot of immediately available data, so I'm not sure what I think of it yet.

• Like 2

Does it really take three to four weeks to get the Fitbit?

I ordered mine as a late birthday present, four weeks would be March 20th.

I can't wait!

Does it really take three to four weeks to get the Fitbit?

I ordered mine as a late birthday present, four weeks would be March 20th.

I can't wait!

My HR just took a few days in the UK about six weeks ago.  But I don't know how supplies are going now.  At the time I was told it was out of stock, but then it arrived.

• Like 1

This last weekend it's been great weather and I've been averaging 15k steps.  To get that I have to be mindful about walking during the day (I feel a little crazy doing it but if I get a phone call I'll powerwalk around the house while talking) AND I have to get outside for a walk.  

• Like 2

I would love to join too. It has taken me since December to start getting the hang of using my FitBit.

I do have a question. I have just been walking and looking at the number of steps on the dashboard. It is synced with my SparkPeople account too. On Saturday, we went on a 3 mile hike at the beach and the first half of the hike is all straight-up hill steep. I was a bit dissatisfied with the dashboard showing no exercise and not really active steps for that part of the walk. Yesterday, I finally figured out how to actually track the walking I consider "exercise" by pushing the little stop-watch. Yeah, so now I have exercise showing, but no active minutes. It disturbs me deeply to everything be green, but the active minutes. :D

How do you all track your walks that you count as exercise - just leave it as part of your step count? But then it looks like you didn't exercise. Before FitBit, I'd just use Runkeeper because it adjusts for terrain. Getting out and walking is easier than my technological and logging issues.

I would love to join too. It has taken me since December to start getting the hang of using my FitBit.

I do have a question. I have just been walking and looking at the number of steps on the dashboard. It is synced with my SparkPeople account too. On Saturday, we went on a 3 mile hike at the beach and the first half of the hike is all straight-up hill steep. I was a bit dissatisfied with the dashboard showing no exercise and not really active steps for that part of the walk. Yesterday, I finally figured out how to actually track the walking I consider "exercise" by pushing the little stop-watch. Yeah, so now I have exercise showing, but no active minutes. It disturbs me deeply to everything be green, but the active minutes. :D

How do you all track your walks that you count as exercise - just leave it as part of your step count? But then it looks like you didn't exercise. Before FitBit, I'd just use Runkeeper because it adjusts for terrain. Getting out and walking is easier than my technological and logging issues.

I look at the 'stairs climbed' to make me feel good about long slow climbs.

I've been getting a lot of messages lately from people asking to join the FitBit group.

It still exists. I'll still add people (though expect it to take a few days because of my work schedule). I don't know if anyone is paying attention to it at all, but anyone still a member of the group and using their fitbit has their step count posted, so you can use it for motivation, and anyone can post on here and get it more competitive at any time.

Send me a PM on here *with your email address*. I need your email address in order to send the invitation. You'll get added much faster if you just send me your email address right off the bat rather than asking if the group is still active and if I'll add you and making it into a back-and-forth.

Again - send me a PM with your email address if you want to join the FitBit group!!!!

• Like 1

Oohs! I got a Charge HR for Christmas. It doesn't count any steps when I do yoga or use the elliptical. Anyway to fix that. I apparently only sleep 5-6 hours/night. That is a surprise. I thought I got about 7. And I evidently roll around all night.

• Like 1

Oohs! I got a Charge HR for Christmas. It doesn't count any steps when I do yoga or use the elliptical. Anyway to fix that. I apparently only sleep 5-6 hours/night. That is a surprise. I thought I got about 7. And I evidently roll around all night.

You can set up an exercise period for anything that the HR doesn't count automatically.  Of course it will still track your heart rate during those periods anyway, but if you want to record the yoga or elliptical session separately, then these are the instructions:

https://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/How-do-I-use-exercise-mode-on-my-tracker

My Zip went kaput a few months ago, I just replaced it with a Charge so I haven't checked the group recently. I'm recovering from a foot injury and just in the past week back to regular exercise.

So someone just requested to be added to the group, and I found that I can no longer invite people because I don't currently own a fitbit. Nor can I see any way to modify group ownership.

Can other members add people? Does anyone else want to take over invitations? Or is no one paying attention anymore and it needs to just die?

So someone just requested to be added to the group, and I found that I can no longer invite people because I don't currently own a fitbit. Nor can I see any way to modify group ownership.

Can other members add people? Does anyone else want to take over invitations? Or is no one paying attention anymore and it needs to just die?

When I go to the group there is a place where I can add members.  If you want to PM me the person's information I can try to add it. 

I upgraded a year ago and discovered I reacted to the new strap, so haven'tbeen able to track.  I got a new strap for Christmas though, and so far so good!

When I go to the group there is a place where I can add members.  If you want to PM me the person's information I can try to add it. 

Thank you. I've told them to PM you (just on the off chance they don't want me giving out their email).

• Like 1

Success!  Now that I know how to do it, people can let me know if they want to join the Well-Trained Fitbit group on Fitbit.com.  You will need a Fitbit (obviously).  And you will need to PM  me the email address  you gave to sign in to Fitbit.com

Ok, I got a Versa for Mother's Day, so I'm back on the Fitbit wagon! I can add people to the group again if anyone wants.