Menu

Well-Trained Fitbits

ocelotmom

I have a Charge HR. I measured myself before ordering and was on the higher end of the small/lower end of the large. The website said to size up if one is between sizes. I have the large and wear it on the fourth smallest notch (third notch fits like a watch would but the fitbit leaves an impression behind).

We discovered this morning that dh wakes to the silent alarm :lol:

• Like 1

I can easily get 12-13k if I spend time on the treadmill in the morning, either running or a long, brisk walk.  Otherwise I have to be creative to get to 10k. The fitness center at our apartment complex is closed this week, so I'm resorting to doing laps around the playground equipment at the park while the kids are playing, and going out after the kids go to bed to walk around our building and go up and down stairs from our third-floor apartment.

• Like 1

To get past 10k I need to walk for an hour.  That's normally about four miles - the rest of the steps will come just from normal life.  I've only managed 15k once, and that was on an all-afternoon family walk.  I don't have a treadmill.  I wish my company would spring for a treadmill desk for me.

L

• 4 weeks later...

I am now the dork wearing two fitness bands on my wrist. We got an Amiigo off of ebay because it really seems like the best option for DH. But I decided I want to try it first. Just for a few days. Really.

I'll write a bit more about it in a few days. It doesn't have a lot of immediately available data, so I'm not sure what I think of it yet.

• Like 2

Does it really take three to four weeks to get the Fitbit?

I ordered mine as a late birthday present, four weeks would be March 20th.

I can't wait!

My HR just took a few days in the UK about six weeks ago.  But I don't know how supplies are going now.  At the time I was told it was out of stock, but then it arrived.

• Like 1

This last weekend it's been great weather and I've been averaging 15k steps.  To get that I have to be mindful about walking during the day (I feel a little crazy doing it but if I get a phone call I'll powerwalk around the house while talking) AND I have to get outside for a walk.  

• Like 2

I would love to join too. It has taken me since December to start getting the hang of using my FitBit.

I do have a question. I have just been walking and looking at the number of steps on the dashboard. It is synced with my SparkPeople account too. On Saturday, we went on a 3 mile hike at the beach and the first half of the hike is all straight-up hill steep. I was a bit dissatisfied with the dashboard showing no exercise and not really active steps for that part of the walk. Yesterday, I finally figured out how to actually track the walking I consider "exercise" by pushing the little stop-watch. Yeah, so now I have exercise showing, but no active minutes. It disturbs me deeply to everything be green, but the active minutes. :D

How do you all track your walks that you count as exercise - just leave it as part of your step count? But then it looks like you didn't exercise. Before FitBit, I'd just use Runkeeper because it adjusts for terrain. Getting out and walking is easier than my technological and logging issues.

I would love to join too. It has taken me since December to start getting the hang of using my FitBit.

I do have a question. I have just been walking and looking at the number of steps on the dashboard. It is synced with my SparkPeople account too. On Saturday, we went on a 3 mile hike at the beach and the first half of the hike is all straight-up hill steep. I was a bit dissatisfied with the dashboard showing no exercise and not really active steps for that part of the walk. Yesterday, I finally figured out how to actually track the walking I consider "exercise" by pushing the little stop-watch. Yeah, so now I have exercise showing, but no active minutes. It disturbs me deeply to everything be green, but the active minutes. :D

How do you all track your walks that you count as exercise - just leave it as part of your step count? But then it looks like you didn't exercise. Before FitBit, I'd just use Runkeeper because it adjusts for terrain. Getting out and walking is easier than my technological and logging issues.

I look at the 'stairs climbed' to make me feel good about long slow climbs.

• 9 months later...

I've been getting a lot of messages lately from people asking to join the FitBit group.

It still exists. I'll still add people (though expect it to take a few days because of my work schedule). I don't know if anyone is paying attention to it at all, but anyone still a member of the group and using their fitbit has their step count posted, so you can use it for motivation, and anyone can post on here and get it more competitive at any time.

Send me a PM on here *with your email address*. I need your email address in order to send the invitation. You'll get added much faster if you just send me your email address right off the bat rather than asking if the group is still active and if I'll add you and making it into a back-and-forth.

Again - send me a PM with your email address if you want to join the FitBit group!!!!

• Like 1

Oohs! I got a Charge HR for Christmas. It doesn't count any steps when I do yoga or use the elliptical. Anyway to fix that. I apparently only sleep 5-6 hours/night. That is a surprise. I thought I got about 7. And I evidently roll around all night.

You can set up an exercise period for anything that the HR doesn't count automatically.  Of course it will still track your heart rate during those periods anyway, but if you want to record the yoga or elliptical session separately, then these are the instructions:

https://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/How-do-I-use-exercise-mode-on-my-tracker

• 2 years later...

So someone just requested to be added to the group, and I found that I can no longer invite people because I don't currently own a fitbit. Nor can I see any way to modify group ownership.

Can other members add people? Does anyone else want to take over invitations? Or is no one paying attention anymore and it needs to just die?

So someone just requested to be added to the group, and I found that I can no longer invite people because I don't currently own a fitbit. Nor can I see any way to modify group ownership.

Can other members add people? Does anyone else want to take over invitations? Or is no one paying attention anymore and it needs to just die?

When I go to the group there is a place where I can add members.  If you want to PM me the person's information I can try to add it. 

• 3 months later...

Hi!

I received a Fitbit Alta for Christmas. I am on my second Fitbit since then and while it tracks my sleep and steps it does not register my heart rate accurately when I exercise. If your Fitbit tracks heart rate and you do high intensity exercise, does your Fitbit track your heart rate properly?

34 minutes ago, SJ. said:

Hi!

I received a Fitbit Alta for Christmas. I am on my second Fitbit since then and while it tracks my sleep and steps it does not register my heart rate accurately when I exercise. If your Fitbit tracks heart rate and you do high intensity exercise, does your Fitbit track your heart rate properly?

from all the reviews I've read -none of them accurately track heart rate. (though some are better than others)  I didn't bother getting the feature.

it also doesn't accurately track steps - if they're too small, it doesn't track them.   if I'm doing a lot with my hands - it thinks it's a step.  (a friend had lots of steps one day, when she hadn't been particular active.  she was knitting.)

in all things - it's a rough estimate.

and we wont' even talk about when pushing a cart through costco . . . . I want credit!

4 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

from all the reviews I've read -none of them accurately track heart rate. (though some are better than others)  I didn't bother getting the feature.

it also doesn't accurately track steps - if they're too small, it doesn't track them.   if I'm doing a lot with my hands - it thinks it's a step.  (a friend had lots of steps one day, when she hadn't been particular active.  she was knitting.)

in all things - it's a rough estimate.

and we wont' even talk about when pushing a cart through costco . . . . I want credit!

I hear you about the steps through Costco!

I expected the hr function not to be perfect but I am getting an HR of 100 on my Fitbit and 155 on my chest strap monitor. I resurrected my old Timex to compare. I was expecting it to be off by 10 or less bpm. I am definitely disappointed.