Menu

What's with the ads?

ocelotmom

Well-Trained Fitbits

I'm getting ready to blow my count out of the water. I help with a major consignment sale here twice a year and back in the spring I had one day where I walked almost 11 miles. Today was the first longer day of this seasons's sale and I had gotten up to almost 5 miles by 1:00.

• Like 6

Man, I found that my FitBit had run out of battery on the way to a night shift at work. I missed out on most of my steps for two days because of this! I'd expect to get about 3000 before midnight, and another 3000 after. With a goal of 5000/day, that's most of them. And I'm missing even more today, because I forgot to plug it in when I got home.

Man, I found that my FitBit had run out of battery on the way to a night shift at work. I missed out on most of my steps for two days because of this! I'd expect to get about 3000 before midnight, and another 3000 after. With a goal of 5000/day, that's most of them. And I'm missing even more today, because I forgot to plug it in when I got home.

Just manually add them in. :)

What is the staying power of these? By that I mean after the initial thrill and novelty of getting in your 10,000 has worn off do you all find yourselves still adhering to your step plans? Do they continue to provide motivation?

What is the staying power of these? By that I mean after the initial thrill and novelty of getting in your 10,000 has worn off do you all find yourselves still adhering to your step plans? Do they continue to provide motivation?

I think the social aspect helps a lot. I suspect mine would have fallen by the wayside by now if not for that.

I think it's more continually motivating if you adjust your goals to be a bit of a stretch, but not too much. 10,000 steps wasn't motivating to me. 5,000 is.

I've been using mine for about 2 months, and I think many of the people in our group have been using theirs for longer.

• Like 1

I've had mine since January 1.  I LOVE it!  My goal is 10,000 a day.  I generally get 3500 in the morning before breakfast between the treadmill and 30 minutes of strength training/yoga.  Then I seem to easily get the rest in naturally through the day.  Occasionally I have to hop on the treadmill at night for a little while.  I've just kind of told myself I can't go to bed/relax for the evening till I've hit 10,000.  It works for me.

I think it depends on the person.  I've had mine since spring of 2013.  I'm closing in on 2,000 miles.  For a while I could have cared less, but it became a conscious choice to do more.  Now I have the opposite problem, actually sitting down for rest days now that I'm training to run 5K.   :willy_nilly:

• Like 1

I lowered my goal to 5000 steps too. I was feeling a bit bummed not getting the, "Whoo Hoo!" dance daily when I had it set to 10,000. 

The weather has turned here and with the end to gardening and such I need to head indoors for my steps. Anyone else starting a winter gym routine? I usually do the treadmill or elliptical for a couple miles. 

Ahhh, winter, bring it on! 

We got a Wii a while ago. I'm not a video game person at all, but it's a fun way to get some steps in when outdoors isn't a good option, and much smaller than any sort of exercise machine if space is an issue. Exercise videos are another option, especially if you have amazon prime or netflix or something to give a good assortment (youtube has a bunch, too). 

• Like 1

I lowered my goal to 5000 steps too. I was feeling a bit bummed not getting the, "Whoo Hoo!" dance daily when I had it set to 10,000. 

The weather has turned here and with the end to gardening and such I need to head indoors for my steps. Anyone else starting a winter gym routine? I usually do the treadmill or elliptical for a couple miles. 

Ahhh, winter, bring it on! 

Mango, I have become so ridiculous that I run in place while I make my coffee; while I brush my teeth.  I'm getting into working at a stand-up desk and I even run in place while I read my email.  :0)  It's demented.  But I get my steps in.  :0)  

Inside. 

It's going to start raining here pretty soon and I'm not a water-baby.

• Like 2

I did it!  All that work these past couple of weeks at the huge consignment sale FINALLY got me the #1 spot on our fitbit group.  Of course it didn't last long, but I got a screenshot of the page while I was there  :party:

The sale is over, so I'll be back to my normal count, which is between 8k and 10k steps, depending on the day.

• Like 7

I just wanted to say, I love checking with you WTMers and checking my counts against yours. My goal is 6000 steps a day this month.

• Like 1

It figures that I go on vacation and my FitBit stopped counting steps for the first few days. :mad:  I think it had something to do with replacing the battery before I left because it started working once I reseated it. Of course I go on a 3 mile hike one of those days. :001_rolleyes: Oh well. I went on loads of hikes and took tons of pictures while on vacation. Now that we're back home and the weather has turned I'm hoping to get out much much more. 

• Like 1

I am so frustrated--has anyone else had this problem? My fitbit One started crashing my computer (Mac) every time I plugged it in. I have been in email contact with the company but they keep suggesting I charge it on my computer (??) instead of a brick, then suggest cleaning the metal bits that charge and plug it into my computer, not a brick (??), etc. They are just not understanding what I'm saying and it is driving me up the wall!

Deb, could your little chargy cable thing be the problem? Do you have any friends w a One?

I haven't has that problem and use a Mac.

I did it! All that work these past couple of weeks at the huge consignment sale FINALLY got me the #1 spot on our fitbit group. Of course it didn't last long, but I got a screenshot of the page while I was there :party:

The sale is over, so I'll be back to my normal count, which is between 8k and 10k steps, depending on the day.

I saw it :) Congratulations!

• Like 1

I did it!  All that work these past couple of weeks at the huge consignment sale FINALLY got me the #1 spot on our fitbit group.  Of course it didn't last long, but I got a screenshot of the page while I was there  :party:

You did amazingly!!

Deb, could your little chargy cable thing be the problem? Do you have any friends w a One?

I haven't has that problem and use a Mac.

I think the chargy cable is the problem but the company keeps sending me stock replies that won't work. It worked in my husband's laptop so I guess I will just use that.

My FitBit isn't keeping track again. Grrrr. I replaced the battery before going on vacation and it wasn't tracking for a couple of days. Then a few days after returning home the battery died. I replaced it again and it seemed like it was working. I went to check my steps this morning after a long walk and it still says 0 steps and keeps cycling through the smiley face and 0 steps. I'm going to have to look this up tonight when I get home.

http://blog.fitbit.com/fitbit-charge-charge-hr-surge-welcome-to-a-whole-new-world-of-fitness/

New fitbits coming out. What do you all think?

The Charge now has a watch, step climbing, and, in the HR version, heart rate monitoring. If the watchface includes seconds (and one of the pictures looks like it does), I'm seriously thinking about getting one. The Surge is too ugly and expensive, though.

(The medical potential of these devices absolutely fascinates me and if we ever have the spare money I have plans to develop a wearable biophysical tracker hobby.)

Long time, me no walk, WTFitbitters!     :seeya:

Yes, I took off 2 months walking!   :leaving:     2 MONTHS!!!!  I even *gasp* didn't wear my One for 10 days in October.  I hang my head in shame.        BUT...

I'm baaaaaack!  And I am determined to hit that #1 spot at least for a moment sometime in November.  What is that old saying?  "Shoot for the moon so if you miss you'll land among the stars." 

Keep steppin' Fitbitters!  Great to see y'all again!

Happy December, Fitbitters!

Just wanted you to know, I'm still checking my steps against what you guys post. That resource helps me stay motivated to keep moving because I don't want to fall down the standings. :)

I got almost 12,000 steps yesterday putting up outdoor Christmas décor. WooHoo!

• Like 1

I'm picking one of these up next week when my $10 coupon is good at Radioshack. Where do I sign up for the group??

I'm picking one of these up next week when my $10 coupon is good at Radioshack. Where do I sign up for the group??

Send me a message with your email address. Because of my work schedule, it could be as much as 48 hours before I respond.

If anyone else got a new fitbit for Christmas and want to join the group, send me a PM with your email address today. My workweek starts tomorrow, and after today, I probably won't get to adding anyone else until Sunday.

Does anyone have a Fitbit Charge yet? Does the watch function display seconds? I've seen some pictures where it does, and others where it doesn't.

What kind of step goals are y'all setting lately?

We gave the adult children Fitbits for Christmas. My DIL is smoking the rest of us--following an active 5year old will do that.

I'm still at 6000. I blow that out of the water regularly at work (8000-11000), and generally don't come anywhere near on non-work days, but it is obtainable if I try.

We just got a gym membership, which kind of helps, assuming I focus on activities that do something to my step count. I would have hit 6000 yesterday if the baby had let me get up and finish.

My One died in November after two years :( I'm getting the Charge HR ASAP---it's not out yet but LLBean has it for preorder w shipping by January 18.

We will have free gym membership through dh's benefits beginning tomorrow :party:

• Like 2

Woot, having the flu didn't knock me tooo far down in the standings!!! Although my sister is beating me in my personal friend list. :( HAH! 

Can we start a 2015 Fitbiters thread? 

Gym membership certain adds a couple thousand to my day. :) 

Who's up to logging 10,000 tomorrow? 

• Like 1

Thanks, I got the email invitation. I got a Flex for Christmas and am working on figuring everything out. So far the most I have gotten is seven thousand something and that included using a treadmill at the gym.

I need to figure out how to change my goal to something more obtainable to me at this time.

:seeya: everyone.

I got a flex for Xmas and I just set it up and strapped it on today. My wrists are tiny and it's a little bit clunky, definitely not unobtrusive. I guess I'll get used to it. Do you all sleep with yours on? I'll try it for a few nights but I'm already having a hard time with the fact that a wireless device is on my body for such a long period of time. Does that bother any of you? Sources contradict each other as to the effect this might have. We'll see how long I can tolerate it :lol:

I'd love a 2015 Fitbitters thread. And ocelotmom I need to send you a pm so I can join the WTM group on the fitbit site if you're still doing that.

I think I'll keep my goal at the original 10,000 and see how I go before changing it.

I just looked- I have been #17 for a while now and wanted to see how much I dropped at the end of the month. I am surprised to see December's numbers gone and January up. And only one person has steps. So the race is on!

If anyone else got a new fitbit for Christmas and want to join the group, send me a PM with your email address today. My workweek starts tomorrow, and after today, I probably won't get to adding anyone else until Sunday.

Does anyone have a Fitbit Charge yet? Does the watch function display seconds? I've seen some pictures where it does, and others where it doesn't.

I just got a Charge for Christmas. The clock display has four options, and two of them display seconds.

Thanks for adding me to the Fitbit group - I'm Heather M. over there :)

I just got a Charge for Christmas. The clock display has four options, and two of them display seconds.

Thanks for adding me to the Fitbit group - I'm Heather M. over there :)

Thank you! I hadn't been able to find a real answer about this, and it's the deciding factor for me, as there are other options I'd probably choose if I had to keep wearing a separate watch along with it.

I just looked- I have been #17 for a while now and wanted to see how much I dropped at the end of the month. I am surprised to see December's numbers gone and January up. And only one person has steps. So the race is on!

That's me  :lol: . I'm 3000 steps above number 2  :smilielol5: . I'm soooooo making a screenshot!

• Like 1

That's me :lol: . I'm 3000 steps above number 2 :smilielol5: . I'm soooooo making a screenshot!

Watch out!!!

I'm at #7 and the day is still young! I have a 45 minute exercise video to do and a long walk with the dog.

• Like 1

I just sent a PM to join the group - no hurry to send me the link, I'm not doing too much until Monday.  :001_smile:    I received a Zip for Christmas. 

Dd has been sick and doing the cuddle thing the past few days and we're stuck in the house.  Dh bought the whole family a Y membership for Christmas but I can't bring dd while she's coughing, sneezing with the occasional puking. :sad:

I'm hoping she's better by next week.  I have to go back to work Monday and the kids have their first day of swim lessons for the new session (they've been members for a while).  Our normal routine involves me having to pick them up from the Y three days a week after work so I'm hoping that will make it really easy to let them play in the Kids Arcade a little longer while I go work out.   I'll get some (around 3,000)  steps at work if I put in a bit of effort and get the rest at the Y.  I'm also hoping to take a lunchtime Tai Chi class.  It's on Tuesdays when my boss is usually at our NYC office and the Y is only 5 minutes from work.  I figure Tai Chi shouldn't be too sweaty.

Thank you for the add!  Looks like I'm Dorothy V. on there.  :001_smile:

I'm not really getting started until Monday but I don't think I'm ever going to make the leader board in this group.  :tongue_smilie:

I just joined the group.  I suspect I'll never feature on the leader board - I mostly just walk a couple of miles a day.  I'm Laura C with the same picture.

I am so totally a slug . I lowered my goal to 6000 steps and I only seen to reach that when I go to the gym. This time of year, I just want to hibernate.

Are we still able to join? I have a fitbit and I need competition to get my butt doing anything. :)

Yep. Just send me a PM with your email address.

If I ever decide I'm closing it off, I'll either make a post to that effect, or stop posting on the boards at all if something extreme happens that prevents me from making such a post. Until then, just PM :) I work several days a week and probably won't get to it on those days, but I should normally get to it within 72 hours max.

(I already got your PM, just posting for the sake of others who may be reading it)

In other news...

I've been contemplating the Fitbit Charge HR for a while. My regular watch irreparably broke the other day, so I decided to go for it. 

The heart rate monitor is totally nifty, but seems like it's reading a little low, especially when active. When resting, it's a few beats lower than my pulse oximeter says. When exercising, it's about 10 bpm below what the exercise machine is seeing (our gym has machines that measure HR through skin resistance or something. Of course, the machine could also be inaccurate). 

The clock is frustrating. I didn't realize it only stays on for 5 seconds at a time. I can understand not displaying constantly to extend battery life, but I really need for it to stay on for at least 30 seconds to a minute at a time (I'm a nurse, and one of my primary uses for a watch is to use when checking people's heart and respiratory rates). As far as I can tell, there is no way to set this. I can work around this, but may have to go back to wearing a plain old watch along with it.

It detects sleep automatically! This is an awesome thing that I wasn't expecting. I originally got a fitbit partially for the sleep tracking, but almost always forgot to turn it on when I was using the Flex. Now it just does it. Yay!

My active minutes increased dramatically, and this applied retroactively to the readings from my Flex. It looks like they now differentiate between "moderately active" and "very active". I like this, because I'd rarely have more than a handful of very active minutes, regardless of what I did. 

It integrates stairs climbed, which the Flex didn't. This is fairly useless to me - I honestly cannot remember the last time I climbed more than a handful of steps at a time. Tall buildings, even two story, aren't common around here for some reason. And, because it registers actual elevation change and not the action of going up stairs, it isn't useful on a Stairmaster, which I do have access to. But if you do have the option of taking the stairs regularly, it's a little bit of added motivation.

It has a regular watchband clasp, which I like, but it has a little thing on the band to hold part of it in place which makes it hard to remove. As it isn't as water-tolerant as the Flex (you aren't supposed to wear it when showering), this is a bit of a pain. I've found that if you pinch the edges together when taking it off, it comes off easily.

Note that it is not recommended for people with light-sensitive seizure disorders, as the HR monitor has a rapidly flashing green light.

Overall, I'm happy with it.  It feels like it provides more in the way of useful info. And even if the watch isn't perfect... after 5 months of using the Flex, I was *still* instinctively looking at it to try to check the time. Now I can. 

• Like 2

I am so totally a slug . I lowered my goal to 6000 steps and I only seen to reach that when I go to the gym. This time of year, I just want to hibernate.

Yep, in the winter, I ride my exercise bike in the warm house. Fitbit only gives partial credit for that.

Yep. Just send me a PM with your email address.

If I ever decide I'm closing it off, I'll either make a post to that effect, or stop posting on the boards at all if something extreme happens that prevents me from making such a post. Until then, just PM :) I work several days a week and probably won't get to it on those days, but I should normally get to it within 72 hours max.

(I already got your PM, just posting for the sake of others who may be reading it)

In other news...

I've been contemplating the Fitbit Charge HR for a while. My regular watch irreparably broke the other day, so I decided to go for it. 

The heart rate monitor is totally nifty, but seems like it's reading a little low, especially when active. When resting, it's a few beats lower than my pulse oximeter says. When exercising, it's about 10 bpm below what the exercise machine is seeing (our gym has machines that measure HR through skin resistance or something. Of course, the machine could also be inaccurate). 

The clock is frustrating. I didn't realize it only stays on for 5 seconds at a time. I can understand not displaying constantly to extend battery life, but I really need for it to stay on for at least 30 seconds to a minute at a time (I'm a nurse, and one of my primary uses for a watch is to use when checking people's heart and respiratory rates). As far as I can tell, there is no way to set this. I can work around this, but may have to go back to wearing a plain old watch along with it.

It detects sleep automatically! This is an awesome thing that I wasn't expecting. I originally got a fitbit partially for the sleep tracking, but almost always forgot to turn it on when I was using the Flex. Now it just does it. Yay!

My active minutes increased dramatically, and this applied retroactively to the readings from my Flex. It looks like they now differentiate between "moderately active" and "very active". I like this, because I'd rarely have more than a handful of very active minutes, regardless of what I did. 

It integrates stairs climbed, which the Flex didn't. This is fairly useless to me - I honestly cannot remember the last time I climbed more than a handful of steps at a time. Tall buildings, even two story, aren't common around here for some reason. And, because it registers actual elevation change and not the action of going up stairs, it isn't useful on a Stairmaster, which I do have access to. But if you do have the option of taking the stairs regularly, it's a little bit of added motivation.

It has a regular watchband clasp, which I like, but it has a little thing on the band to hold part of it in place which makes it hard to remove. As it isn't as water-tolerant as the Flex (you aren't supposed to wear it when showering), this is a bit of a pain. I've found that if you pinch the edges together when taking it off, it comes off easily.

Overall, I'm happy with it.  It feels like it provides more in the way of useful info. And even if the watch isn't perfect... after 5 months of using the Flex, I was *still* instinctively looking at it to try to check the time. Now I can. 

Good information. I wouldn't mind having the watch part as well as the heart monitor. Perhaps I'll upgrade when my Flex dies.

My husband's Fitbit (in his pocket) records all the stairs he does. When they are prepping an airplane for something he can be up and down those air steps a dozen times. Very fun to see his 'scores'.

I do wish the Flex did the stairs.