Menu

Well-Trained Fitbits

ocelotmom

What is with all you ladies doing all this walking after I go to bed? Not fair!!! :toetap05:

Well I'm in Hawaii and generally only sync once or maybe twice a day. It always seems like I'm so far behind, hopefully that's the time difference. I made it up to #5 today! Woohoo!

I love this challenge!  My butt is no longer one with the couch!  I'm in the west so I get the opportunity to knock a few of you down a peg or two after most everyone is done for the night.

Not that I'm competitive or anything  :001_smile:

I love this challenge!  My butt is no longer one with the couch!  I'm in the west so I get the opportunity to knock a few of you down a peg or two after most everyone is done for the night.

Not that I'm competitive or anything  :001_smile:

I honestly thought I wasn't the least bit competitive, until my friend convinced me to join one of the groups. Then I joined this one. Lol. (Smileys not working for me this morning for some reason.)

Well I can't get out of fifth but I'm averaging 2000 extra steps a day so that's a plus! Last night I walked up and down my steps to get to 10,000 for the day. My life is just so sedentary otherwise. So thanks for the extra motivation!! 

• Like 2

I'm averaging 3-7,000 extra steps per day. I guess I'm a little competitive, huh?

Yes - and ahead of me!! HA! Good job - but it's a long month  :lol: Just kidding - kind of  :laugh:

Edited to try to sound like a friendly challenge, not a crazy person! 

• Like 2

I'm averaging 3-7,000 extra steps per day. I guess I'm a little competitive, huh?

I think I've been playing leapfrog with you. Pun intended.  :lol:

I seriously had no idea just how sedentary I was until I got this fitbit. I had been working out several days a week and going for a walk when I could and thought I was doing great. Boy, what a difference this makes!

I can't believe I'm in first! I'm never first in anything, but I am competitive. :)

I'm sure I won't be there for long.

One problem I have with this fitbit is that now i know that my husband always burns more calories than me. Therefore, he gets to eat more. In a day, he can barely get his 10,000 (light activity) steps and I can run 4 miles plus get 20,000 steps. Yet he STILL burns more calories than me. I understand the science of it. He's a man. He's taller. Blah, blah, blah.

I like to eat and have struggled to stay at a healthy weight for nearly 3 years now. I just don't like that no matter how much I exercise, I will never get to eat as much as him without gaining weight. Rant over. :D

Oh, and I'm not from Australia. I live in Arkansas, which some people think is another country. ;)

I am so impressed with how many steps so many of you are taking! This has been very motivating to me, but I really can't put in much more time. I am very sedentary unless I am purposely exercising. I know I need to do more, but maybe something more efficient? How are you getting these steps? Do you run, is it playing with your kids, grocery shopping? Nothing I do in regular life gets me much past 2500 steps a day. I've been walking my dog but with all the stops to sniff we barely make it more than 3 miles in an hour. Hate to leave the poor guy at home though.

Oh well, it's certainly more than I was doing a month ago without a challenge and way more than I was doing two months ago before my fitbit. Progress is progress! Keep walking!

• Like 1

I am so impressed with how many steps so many of you are taking! This has been very motivating to me, but I really can't put in much more time. I am very sedentary unless I am purposely exercising. I know I need to do more, but maybe something more efficient? How are you getting these steps? 

I have been taking two walks each day.  In the morning with my kids and in the evening with my dog.  That will usually get my 10,000 steps.  In between, if I'm doing nothing, I will march in place.  My kids think I'm nuts.  But it works.  

Right now I'm in 7th.  So, whoever is in 6th, can you please take a break?  You're killing me!

I am so impressed with how many steps so many of you are taking! This has been very motivating to me, but I really can't put in much more time. I am very sedentary unless I am purposely exercising. I know I need to do more, but maybe something more efficient? How are you getting these steps? Do you run, is it playing with your kids, grocery shopping? Nothing I do in regular life gets me much past 2500 steps a day. I've been walking my dog but with all the stops to sniff we barely make it more than 3 miles in an hour. Hate to leave the poor guy at home though.

Oh well, it's certainly more than I was doing a month ago without a challenge and way more than I was doing two months ago before my fitbit. Progress is progress! Keep walking!

I'm so wishing I still had my fitbit to get in on this!

When I had mine I could easily get 5000k steps by breakfast just doing chores and childcare around the house.

I am so impressed with how many steps so many of you are taking! This has been very motivating to me, but I really can't put in much more time. I am very sedentary unless I am purposely exercising. I know I need to do more, but maybe something more efficient? How are you getting these steps? Do you run, is it playing with your kids, grocery shopping? Nothing I do in regular life gets me much past 2500 steps a day.

I know what you mean! I have an office job and will have to set time aside specifically for exercising, as I just don't get that many steps in my daily routine. At this point I'll be glad to make it into the top 20! I'm not even going to try to compete with the ones who are runners/joggers.

Yeah, I'm having a problem with that, and it was the problem DH had with it. There simply is no easy way to add steps. We live in the middle of nowhere - we can't decide we're going to walk to the store instead of drive or take the stairs instead of the elevator or whatever - we have to carve out a chunk of time and go for a walk. 

In contrast, I got 8000 steps at work yesterday, and that was a slow day with a lot of sitting around. I probably could have gotten to 10,000 without a lot of additional effort, but wanted to get a good baseline.

I've been thinking about getting up early and taking a walk to go get coffee (there is a convenience store about a mile and a half away), which, combined with a half hour of Wii and my everyday activities seems to be enough to get to 10,000. But that really only works while the weather and daylight cooperate.

I'm having a lame (literally) day today - I messed up my feet the past several days, so I'm trying to avoid making it worse. So the few people who haven't already bypassed me can do so today.

I only get around 4000 steps in a day without purposefully taking a walk (3 miles~8000 steps).  The only time I can carve this out is in the evening when the kids go to bed.  DH insists on coming with me so he can get in a second walk.  That means I put everyone to bed and let my 9yo "babysit" (no worries, we are close, she has phone and is mature enough to call me if others won't stay in bed, which they always do).  When this group started, I was so excited!  Great motivation!  Someone to "compete" with on my level (after all DH walks twice a day so blows me out of the water).  Then, I sent DD to NYC with family for 5 days.  Ugh!  Prevented me from walking at night.  Too hot during daylight, plus DH has a fit if I try to go alone.  Soooooo...I am sitting here envious of all the WTM step go-getters.  :(   DD is back, and I'm going to walk tonight!!

The step count in impressive!  Keep it up WTM!!!!!

Ok, so I saw the mention of fitness videos, and realized that we have amazon prime and now have a good big screen to view it on. So I'm looking through the offerings and found this. WTF?

I'm playing opposite-fitbit today. It's 7pm and I still only have one light lit, and I think I'm going to try to keep it that way.

• Like 1

I just saw this and dug out my fitbit that's been gathering some dust. Yay for some motivation. That thing kept falling out of my um, underclothing. I need to find a better system.

So I did the Jillian Michaels Kettlebell workout on Amazon Prime this morning, remember looking at it and checking my steps, but then when I went to go take a shower found that I had lost my fitbit, it had fallen out of my clothes. So yes, that post was prophetic....  :sad:  :nopity:  :ohmy:  But then my 9 year old found it at the end of the day! So tomorrow I am on! 

Thanks to Walmart, I managed to get my first 15k step-day!   :hurray:   

AND DH forgot to wear his fitbit for part of the day so I caught up to him a little!   :lol:

ETA:  Keep up the great work everyone!   :willy_nilly:

• Like 3

You can buy them in several stores.  I think it was mentioned in another thread that Target, Walgreens, Best Buy, etc carried them?

I ordered DH's Flex directly from FitBit.com.  I ordered my One from Amazon because it was a little cheaper.  Both had free shipping.  Amazon was faster with 2-day shipping.

Courtesy of mountains of laundry, I cracked 16k steps today!  Whoop!  I even cracked the top ten.  I'm going to revel in that for the night.  We're traveling for the next 3 days so down the ladder I shall slide.

Hang in there WTM and keep stepping'!   :hurray:

• Like 1

I'm going to join--where's the best place to buy it? My sister has had one for a couple years so....(holding my nose, jumping in!) :)) I'm going to become a groupie too.

I got one (a Zip) for DH at Walmart recently on clearance for around $15 off, which is the lowest price I've seen.

I have become a woman obsessed.  Seriously obsessed.  I did something today that I have NEVER done before.

I woke up and dragged DH out for a walk.  I was so bummed that I will miss out on Friday and Saturday steps in the evening (traveling) that I was determined to get those Friday steps in regardless.  Then, I got overheated on the walk because I hadn't had any breakfast, and the sun was pounding down at 10am (I'm in Houston, duh).   :huh:  Now I know why I need to walk just at night.  :)  So after I cooled down and drank a ton of water, I synced my FitBit, my most favorite thing to do these days.  I love watching the little dial spin and the Hurray pop up.  :)  Told you I was obsessed.  Then, to my dismay and delight, I discovered that I just needed 7800 more steps to close out the week at 70k steps.  I've never reached Sun-Sat 70k steps.  So, against sanity, I grabbed DH to finish the walk I had to cut short and extended it a little so I could get more steps.  I still have 3600 steps to grab for the remainder of today and tomorrow.  I am determined, even if I have to walk in circles in the hotel room, to reach 70k by tomorrow midnight.  I wonder if I'll get a badge, a special Hurray, fireworks, etc.  :)  Just kidding.  I WILL be mighty proud!

And the cherry on top?  I went the entire week on 1400 calories a day. No small feat for sure especially being more active.  But I did it and was duly rewarded by losing 4 pounds.   :hurray:

Please share your joys and milestones, and even your FItBit grievances!  And keep steppin' WTM!   :coolgleamA:

• Like 4

Ok, so I saw the mention of fitness videos, and realized that we have amazon prime and now have a good big screen to view it on. So I'm looking through the offerings and found this. WTF?

I'm playing opposite-fitbit today. It's 7pm and I still only have one light lit, and I think I'm going to try to keep it that way.

Pretty sure I'll never be bored enough to watch this one!!!

I'll stay in the middle of the pack- I cycle for exercise and since that doesn't count as steps, I don't get that many steps. If I get 8000 a day I'm doing really well. Some of you are really moving!!!!!!

I read somewhere online that some people put their FitBit on their shoe when they cycle to track steps, if you don't want to log the cycling as an activity (since that wouldn't count towards steps).  I have never tested the theory.  But DH plays the drums, and if he does't take his Flex off, it counts as steps.

I read somewhere online that some people put their FitBit on their shoe when they cycle to track steps, if you don't want to log the cycling as an activity (since that wouldn't count towards steps).  I have never tested the theory.  But DH plays the drums, and if he does't take his Flex off, it counts as steps.

I've done that before but now I use Map My Ride app and it syncs with Fitbit so if I put my fitbit on my shoe I would be double dipping.   I really like the info I get from Map My Ride so I just suck it up and live with the low step count.  Well, mostly I suck it up. I'm pretty competitive so being part of this group kind of kills me when my 10 mile ride doesn't count!

• Like 2

Those days I spent canning and freezing tomatoes and peaches really did a number of my totals, but last night I climbed up to #15. If I can stay in the top half this month I will be happy.

It's a bummer that my hour-on-the-elliptical days don't count as much as the walking days.

I reached 10,000 steps for the first time yesterday! 

I'm hoping in a few weeks it will be my norm.  I have an awesome treadmill that had been neglected for years... not any more!

Way back in the dark ages (my 30's) I was a 'work out queen'. I was so in shape...

then life happened and I had a series of accidents/injuries that led to me not being able to put my left foot down for 10 months, major back surgery (same incident that hurt my foot ruputred a disk) and last year I hurt my hand (not able to use my left hand--plus MAJOR pain for most of the year)--surgery last fall to fix it and a long recovery. 

I'm doing my best to avoid accidents and injuries and get my body back in shape (well round is a shape right?--but I prefer hourglass) before I turn 50 next May.

Fibi (my fitbit's name) has inspired me so far!

• Like 5

:hurray:

We went to the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo last weekend, and I hit 10,000 for the first time near the top of the stairs at the shrine. I hit 15,000 later that evening. My average number of steps is much lower than most of those participating in the group, but it's been steadily increasing.

I just want to encourage anyone who's wondering if they should bother because they can't compete to just jump in. Don't get intimidated by others' step counts or feel bad when people say they "only" got 5000. It's fun to compete with others and use that energy to spur you on, but we're all at different levels. If you're averaging 2500 steps, 5000 is something to celebrate!

• Like 4

I'll stay in the middle of the pack- I cycle for exercise and since that doesn't count as steps, I don't get that many steps. If I get 8000 a day I'm doing really well. Some of you are really moving!!!!!!

I was just going to post the same! So annoying that biking doesn't count.

I tried that on Tuesday, barely registered a few steps :toetap05: .

I've done that before but now I use Map My Ride app and it syncs with Fitbit so if I put my fitbit on my shoe I would be double dipping.   I really like the info I get from Map My Ride so I just suck it up and live with the low step count.  Well, mostly I suck it up. I'm pretty competitive so being part of this group kind of kills me when my 10 mile ride doesn't count!

Does your Map My Ride app work for a stationary bike? Off to check it out.

Man I only got like 5,500 steps in yesterday, but I did walk in a "hurricane", that's gotta count for something, right??

Definitely counts! :D

Congratulations!

I have read that if you attach your fitbit to your shoe it will count the pedaling as steps.

ETA: Oops. Should have read the other replies saying the same thing.

My average steps are definitely way up. I'm doing better than when I was paying myself for every day I reached 10,000. I'm also having fun watching Melissa and Sandra battle for first place. When Melissa didn't have any steps register for a day i was starting to get concerned that she might be sick or her Fitbit got lost.

• Like 1