Menu

Well-Trained Fitbits

ocelotmom

Fitbitters!

I stole DH's fitbit, and figured I'd be able to stick with it for two weeks, rather than one, with a little bit of social pressure. So, not finding an existing WTM fitbit activity group, I decided to make one. Join me and knock my 2,826 steps off the leaderboard!

https://www.fitbit.com/group/22NJGY

Edit: We had to make the group private, as the leaderboard seemed to be filling up with Poorly Trained Impostors. PM me with your email address if you want an invite. Be aware that, due to work, it may take a few days for me to get around to it.

Edit 12/29/15: The group still exists. If you want to join the group, send me a PM on here *with your email address*. I need your email address in order to send the invitation. You'll get added much faster if you just send me your email address right off the bat rather than asking if the group is still active and if I'll add you and making it into a back-and-forth (but still expect it may take a few days - my work schedule precludes me looking at the internet much on workdays).

Again - send me a PM with your email address if you want to join the FitBit group!!!!

Edited by ocelotmom
  • Like 3

I joined! I could always use a little more motivation. Of course tomorrow I'm not sure I'll get a chance to go for a walk, maybe I'll have to now.   ;)

I was just thinking similarly. We got this baby a jogging stroller that holds a car seat, and I have yet to actually use it for that purpose.

I really stole it so that I can objectively see exactly how much I walk at work, where I wander up and down a long hallway about 7802780234 times a day. But I may as well take advantage of it while I have it.

I joined! I haven't done my walk yet though because it's still hot and sunny out. This should be motivating. :)

I avoid going for a walk through most of the day because it's hot and sunny. Then in the evening, it is much more moderate out, but the wind tends to pick up to about 50 miles per hour, and branches and puppies and houses without solid foundations start flying around, and it isn't safe to walk outside anymore.

I'm trying to use the Wii instead, but then I had to sit and nurse the baby and DD took it over, and most of the games don't really give many steps anyways.

I think I'll figure out if the punching game does anything much to increase my step count, or if it's wasted effort.

I avoid going for a walk through most of the day because it's hot and sunny. Then in the evening, it is much more moderate out, but the wind tends to pick up to about 50 miles per hour, and branches and puppies and houses without solid foundations start flying around, and it isn't safe to walk outside anymore.

I'm trying to use the Wii instead, but then I had to sit and nurse the baby and DD took it over, and most of the games don't really give many steps anyways.

I think I'll figure out if the punching game does anything much to increase my step count, or if it's wasted effort.

Yikes, I usually walk early evening but I'm getting ridiculously tan despite sunscreen and effort, I cannot stand to wear sleeves here in hell... I mean Hawaii ;) So I'm trying to walk a little later, it's hard because I'm lazy at night and dh walks with me, he usually gets home 3-4 and go soon after. Let me know about the punching, that would be an awesome alternative on occasion.

When it is hot or rainy outside, I have been getting in tons of steps while doing Leslie Sansone style stuff while watching a show with my girls. I just walk up and down the room, do knee lifts, kicks, kickbacks, etc. the whole time the show is on. Get a great workout that way and tons of steps on my little buddy. :-) It really is a motivating little booger, especially for those of us who have a bit of a competitive spirit (which I thought I didn't have a bit of till I got this, lol).

I am in a homeschool moms group too.

https://www.fitbit.com/group/22CKHD

• Like 1

Yikes, I usually walk early evening but I'm getting ridiculously tan despite sunscreen and effort, I cannot stand to wear sleeves here in hell... I mean Hawaii ;) So I'm trying to walk a little later, it's hard because I'm lazy at night and dh walks with me, he usually gets home 3-4 and go soon after. Let me know about the punching, that would be an awesome alternative on occasion.

It seems to. It's not as effective as just walking, but it does register steps. Which isn't surprising, given that I had 73 steps before even getting out of bed this morning,

It seems to. It's not as effective as just walking, but it does register steps. Which isn't surprising, given that I had 73 steps before even getting out of bed this morning,

Did you stay up after midnight? If not, do you have your time zone set correctly? That could explain those steps. Mine always says zero when I first get up. I also do not wear mine to bed. Mine is a zip. Not sure how other models work.

I noticed yesterday it would count steps while I was holding it in my hand. I might try that next time I do Leslie Sansone or Wii. , 

Where do you normally wear yours? I wear mine clipped to the center of my bra. Mine is just a little zip though. 

By the way, on the WTMFitbit group, I'm Deb--with a sunflower avatar.

It's ridiculous how motivating this group has been for me this morning. I started at #11 and have moved up a couple of slots--lots of yard work and gardening this morning. :)

• Like 2

Did you stay up after midnight? If not, do you have your time zone set correctly? That could explain those steps. Mine always says zero when I first get up. I also do not wear mine to bed. Mine is a zip. Not sure how other models work.

I've got a flex, and wear it all the time. Part of the reason we decided to get the fitbit was for the sleep tracking thing, which may possibly end up being the biggest long-term benefit - we discovered DH has restless periods something like 17 times a night, and he's going in soon for a sleep eval. In comparison, I had 3 restless periods last night, and I'm co-sleeping with a nursing baby.

Time zone is set right, and I went to bed around 10. I suspect it's registering things like rolling over, picking up the baby, and that sort of thing. I don't think it's a big enough problem to truly make an impact on my count, though.

• Like 1

Where do you normally wear yours? I wear mine clipped to the center of my bra. Mine is just a little zip though. 

I clip it to my bra or if I'm wearing a dress I normally wear a pair of bike shorts underneath that I can clip it to (not because I'm modest ...  :laugh:  ... it's because nobody wants to see my knickers when I bend down to pick up Baby Boy).  I have a Zip.  I think I might plan a walk with DH tonight and see if I can get my steps up.  

• Like 1

same. I just happened to be walking with it in my hand so I could switch bras. 

I clip it to my bra or if I'm wearing a dress I normally wear a pair of bike shorts underneath that I can clip it to (not because I'm modest ...  :laugh:  ... it's because nobody wants to see my knickers when I bend down to pick up Baby Boy).  I have a Zip.  I think I might plan a walk with DH tonight and see if I can get my steps up.  

The bad thing about wearing it on my bra is when I am out walking and want to look at it. I do walk near woods though, so it is easy enough to hide behind a tree ever so often.  :lol:

Count me in!

Fibi (Phoebe) arrived Thursday. She is a burgandy Fitbit One.  She is a slave driver already...

I did get a good laugh at her 'smooches' this morning when I checked in!

It will take some time for me to get used to the night band... not using it now (I kept it on a whole 5 minutes last night...).

Nah, just my awesome Jackson Pollock special.

I decided to try wearing mine on my ankle. With it on my wrist, I keep looking at my wrist trying to see what time it is! And it's not ideal at work, both from an infection control standpoint and because I do wear a watch while at work. So ankle it is. It seems people find it more accurate, which isn't surprising, even though fitbit doesn't recommend wearing it that way. 

Note to my future self when I go looking trying to find it: I stuck the clasp thing in the blue bowl on top of the dresser.

Well, I walked 14,000 steps yesterday desperately trying to make it to #2, but then I got knocked down a few spots again. I gave up when my feet were starting to hurt. I am walking about twice as much as normal because of this challenge.

I caught DH running on the treadmill last night for three minutes, even though he hates running, just so he wouldn't fall so far behind all of you!

• Like 5

You've also got people who are all of a sudden syncing their fitbit from the full day.

That is true. My friend doesn't sync hers but a couple times a day to save on the battery. So in the evening, she suddenly has tons of steps added.