Menu

I need a blouse.

Jenny in Florida

Anyone up for a challenge?

I have been applying for jobs, and, as of today, I think I have something part-time. I have to go in two afternoons next week for training. 

Here's the problem: You all know I'm terrible with clothes, right? Well, I have exactly two outfits that are more or less presentable, and they are essentially the same outfit in two different colors.

I have:

- one pair of light denim pants

- one pair of black denim pants

- one light blue "tiered" tank top with white polka dots

- one darker blue tiered tank top with black polka dots

- one white knit cardigan

- one black knit cardigan

The blouses look pretty much like this, in different colors: http://www.dressbarn.com/detail/roz--plus-size-tiered-square-polka-dot-tank/101918315/158

For more casual occasions, I wear the lighter blue pants with the lighter blouse and the white cardigan. For dressier occasions, I wear the other set. 

When I went in for the interview today, I wore the darker combination. While I wouldn't mind wearing the same outfit (or possibly substituting the other blouse) on the second training day, I really, really don't want to wear the lighter, more casual version at all. First, because it's just so similar that I would feel weird showing up in them back to back, but also because the light blue denim pants are too casual for this setting. (I need to look like a teacher.) 

I think I'll be fine re-wearing the black pants, because black pants are pretty nondescript, anyway (especially these). And I would be fine wearing the other cardigan. However, I would like to buy a distinctly different blouse to put under it.

Here are the criteria:

1. I have very little money to spend on this project. I'd like to spend no more than $20.

2. I am plus sized, usually a 1X, and carry most of my weight in my belly and behind.

3. I am short (5'1").

4. I do not show my upper arms to the world. Period. Ever. I consent to wear the sleeveless blouses only because I do not appear in public without the cardigans, which have 3/4-length sleeves.

5. I don't have time to order anything, because I need to wear whatever I buy on Tuesday afternoon.

6. I have pretty much no energy to do a lot of shopping. In the days between right now and when I need to wear this, I am taking a class at the library, taking my son out to finish his dorm shopping during tax-free weekend, getting him to and from four performances, feeding him around those performances, seeing the closing performance on Sunday afternoon, crafting his traditional close-of-show gift, going to a doctor's appointment, creating and sending updated invitations to his graduation party, preparing for the two days of training for the new job and beginning serious planning and preparations for the graduation party. I don't have time or energy for a full day at the mall. I need to hit one or two stores and come home with something workable.

7. I don't shop at Kohl's or Walmart.

I've spent the last hour browsing online at Dress Barn (my usual go-to when I'm desperate), Target, Lane Bryant (although I haven't bought anything I actually like there in years), Avenue, JC Penney's, Sears  . . . and a few other places I can't remember at the moment. Thus far, I have seen one or two things I thought might be acceptable that are too expensive or too similar to what I already have.

I did warn you it would be a challenge, right? Does anyone feel up to making suggestions?

Jenny, if you can find something on Amazon that you like, can you order it via Prime? I can do it for you if you don't have Prime.  I'm going to be up for another 30 minutes or so.  Let me know if that would help.   I would place the order tomorrow morning fairly early.

That's sweet, thanks! I do have Prime. It wouldn't have occurred to me to check Amazon. Hmmmm . . .

I hope you won't dismiss this idea because it's really, really good: find an upscale Good Will and have a ball shopping! I found the most gorgeous slinky formal evening dress for a cruise dinner we're doing for $26 -- but my coupon brought it down to $21. I'm not kidding.

It helps to go to a Good Will that's in an upscale part of town because the donators stuff stays local.

Last year I was taking my boys to a Broadway show and knew their standard tee shirts and shorts wouldn't cut it. I found beautiful pairs of khakis for $5 each. Not kidding.

Alley

Have you checked Macy's? They usually have a decent selection, and there are almost always coupons...

You could add a scarf or bold necklace to dress this up if you felt it necessary:

http://m.macys.com/shop/product/charter-club-plus-size-linen-roll-tab-sleeve-top?ID=1483564&CategoryID=34048&LinkType=#fn=PAGEINDEX%3D3%26sp%3D3%26spc%3D1043%26ruleId%3D%26slotId%3D54

Or this? Maybe with a coupon it would be closer to $20? There's a bunch more online, and they have an in-store locator.

http://m.macys.com/shop/product/charter-club-plus-size-printed-tunic-top?ID=1397935&CategoryID=34048&LinkType=

Good luck!

I hope you won't dismiss this idea because it's really, really good: find an upscale Good Will and have a ball shopping! I found the most gorgeous slinky formal evening dress for a cruise dinner we're doing for $26 -- but my coupon brought it down to $21. I'm not kidding.

I love Goodwill! My issue with it this time is just the time crunch. Goodwill is so hit or miss that I often spend a couple of hours there and still walk out with nothing. It may be worth a shot, though, if I can carve out an opportunity this weekend.

Have you tried a store like TJ Maxx or Ross.  I can usually find something I like okay at those stores.  The nice thing is that they are all sorted by size, not individual racks so I can shop really fast there.  There may be a few racks of coordinates, but the bulk of the clothes are in one section.  

The key, may be to find something that you feel is just Okay.  Nothing fabulous, just something that is appropriate and fits.  Later, when you have more time, you can shop and find something good, just get something to get by for now and shop later. 

Have you tried a store like TJ Maxx or Ross.  

I wasn't there for this purpose, but my son and I were in Marshall's and Ross just a few days ago. I did scan the racks at both places while I was there and didn't see anything likely. Since they are just a few doors away from each other in the same shopping center, ir might be worth another quick trip.

The key, may be to find something that you feel is just Okay.  Nothing fabulous, just something that is appropriate and fits.  Later, when you have more time, you can shop and find something good, just get something to get by for now and shop later. 

That's actually pretty much how I always shop, except for the "get something good later" part. I enjoy shopping for clothing only during the brief blink-of-an-eye periods of my life when I am not huge, and I don't like spending money on clothing even then. The rest of the time, my wardrobe consists of whatever I can find that covers my body, comes in black or navy blue and costs less than $15.

I wasn't there for this purpose, but my son and I were in Marshall's and Ross just a few days ago. I did scan the racks at both places while I was there and didn't see anything likely. Since they are just a few doors away from each other in the same shopping center, ir might be worth another quick trip.

That's actually pretty much how I always shop, except for the "get something good later" part. I enjoy shopping for clothing only during the brief blink-of-an-eye periods of my life when I am not huge, and I don't like spending money on clothing even then. The rest of the time, my wardrobe consists of whatever I can find that covers my body, comes in black or navy blue and costs less than $15.

If you get the job, you may want to consider putting part of the money away each week into a clothing fund.  Maybe $50 a month to start, so you can start building a wardrobe.  When I can't find clothes I like, I go into a store and have the girls bring me outfits (not individual pieces) that they think will look good on me.  I have ended up with pieces of clothing that I would have Never even tried on by doing this.  Quite often, clothes look very different on the body than on the hanger.  The girls who work there all the time, see what looks good together and are willing to give good feedback if you are willing to hear it.

I have also ordered outfits that were on models in websites like Eddie Bauer.  I am 5'8" so I need to order Tall sizes which make it hard to find long sleeves (sweaters/jackets etc) that actually fit me. 

Good luck!  

I hope you have some amazing luck and find something that you love!

Maybe try more plus sized stores as well. Look for ones online that have good shipping/returns.  My sister always tried to fit into non-plus sized clothes that didn't quite fit her right.  She didn't look quite right trying to wear clothes that emphasized the wrong parts of her body. She was wearing XL but needed a 1x. I had a friend who was the same size that always looked great.  The difference, was that the friend shopped in plus sized stores and instead of hiding her size, she went for great style and fun clothes.  It helped her fun personality, beautiful neckline and jawline shine through. She kept her hair short and sassy to show off her best features and it worked great for her.  My sisters porcelain skin and dark long hair were lost on buttons that were pulled too tight and sweaters that she was always having to tug down.  She tried to hide her best assets (the beautiful skin on her arms and neck) and instead made her ill fitting clothes the thing that stood out. 

I went up a size this year so I know it can be really hard to embrace the positive when you want to shrink away behind the fabric.  But really, if you do find what makes you look beautiful, the clothes don't have to be exactly the right thing to make you feel amazing, because more of your own beauty will show through and your clothes will just be an accessory to the beautiful you. 

If you get the job, you may want to consider putting part of the money away each week into a clothing fund.  Maybe $50 a month to start, so you can start building a wardrobe.  When I can't find clothes I like, I go into a store and have the girls bring me outfits (not individual pieces) that they think will look good on me. 

This would be very, very part time. If it works out, I plan to keep the online tutoring I'm already doing, too, because I don't think this will allow me to replace those hours. So, $50 a month would be a significant chunk of my earnings, which are already spoken for (my son's college tuition). Obviously, if I'm working two or three days a week, I'll need to add a few pieces, but it will have to happen slowly and on a very tight budget.

As for asking the sales staff for help, ummmm, it's not me. I handle clothes shopping very much the way I do childbirth: I want to wait until it's absolutely, definitely necessary to  go to the facility, where I want to go inside my own head and endure until it's over, hopefully with as little time and pain as possible. I don't want to be distracted or pampered by others. I don't want to make an occasion out of it. I just want to get it done and move on.

Plus, honestly, I'm impossible. My daughter, who loves to help people do fashion and is the first stop for many of her friends when they need assistance, has washed her hands of me, because I make shopping so unpleasant. I also have very fixed ideas of what I am willing to wear and get cranky when anyone tries to get me to broaden my horizons. So, it's really best if I just try to find something acceptable without making other people cry.

I know you're not crazy about clothes shopping, so stores like Marshall's, where everything is kind of jumbled together, might be a frustrating nightmare for you. I love to shop, and even I won't go to stores like that if I'm short on time.

Are there any upscale consignment stores near you? You might be able to get something really nice at a bargain price, and if it's a small shop, the owner may be able to suggest specific items for you.

Otherwise, I'd try to stick to places where they have some outfits on display and where you can see what they have without rummaging through rack after rack after rack. It's so much easier to shop when all of the blouses of a certain style and color are on the same rack, rather than when there are big, long racks of a few dozen styles sorted only by general sizes.

If you're going to go to a store like TJ Maxx, you might as well go to Goodwill instead and save yourself some money!

[quote name="Jenny in Florida" post="5826456" timestamp=

Plus, honestly, I'm impossible. My daughter, who loves to help people do fashion and is the first stop for many of her friends when they need assistance, has washed her hands of me, because I make shopping so unpleasant. I also have very fixed ideas of what I am willing to wear and get cranky when anyone tries to get me to broaden my horizons. So, it's really best if I just try to find something acceptable without making other people cry.

Good luck.

This would be very, very part time. If it works out, I plan to keep the online tutoring I'm already doing, too, because I don't think this will allow me to replace those hours. So, $50 a month would be a significant chunk of my earnings, which are already spoken for (my son's college tuition). Obviously, if I'm working two or three days a week, I'll need to add a few pieces, but it will have to happen slowly and on a very tight budget.

As for asking the sales staff for help, ummmm, it's not me. I handle clothes shopping very much the way I do childbirth: I want to wait until it's absolutely, definitely necessary to  go to the facility, where I want to go inside my own head and endure until it's over, hopefully with as little time and pain as possible. I don't want to be distracted or pampered by others. I don't want to make an occasion out of it. I just want to get it done and move on.

OK so shopping definitely isn't your thing.  LOL  For me, it is working out.  Hate it. Won't do it.  Regret it if I force myself the second I start.  LOL  If someone was going to drag me to a gym, I would kick them in the chins.  I have to pay my Physical Therapist twice a week to make me do my exercies in the office, because I know I won't do them like I should if I didn't actually have them scheduled and her to make me do it.   :001_rolleyes:

Well, I hope you can find something you like. Preferably blue polk-a-dots so you can just shop and move on.  :0)  (not being snarky, it sounds like that is your bliss) 

How about a nice tank top with a flowy button-down blouse over it? I actually found 2 nice ones at goodwill recently, with a white sort of dressy tank(?) to wear underneath.

I'm open to any ideas. I just need to keep it to my budget and to find something I can stand to be seen in by the time I need it. It's a good thought.

I love shopping, but I'm stumped! Gap and Old Navy have good prices when you use coupons, but the best prices are online and you said you don't have time to wait for an online order. I hear good things about Maurice's plus size clothing, but don't know if you have one near you, and the prices look more like $26 for a top on average. Maybe if you go in store to JCPenney or Target you'll see some possibilities that you didn't see online?

I was also going to say Cato. Cute, current, cheaper than most places.

Eshakti.com is my favorite place on the planet for dresses if you need them. By watching sales you can get great deals on totally customizable dresses!! In ANY size. You pick the style and size - put in your height and any changes you want (neckline, sleeve length, etc) and 2 weeks later your perfect dress arrives!!! LOVE it!!

I second going to goodwill. You can get some nice things there and they usually have a plus sized section. 

Personally, I'd do something like 2 pairs of colored pants- maybe one navy/black and one grey/tan, a couple of long sleeved shirts you can roll up to elbows and then a cardigan or two. You could mix/match (and some days not wear the cardigan) and vary it with things like earrings, necklaces and shoes. 

I sometimes get overwhelmed about clothing as well, and I understand about knowing what you can deal with. Given the short time and parameters, maybe pick up a couple of tank tops in black & white that aren't too low and have thicker straps ( so I don't mean those camis in the jr section anywhere). Buy another cardigan, maybe something with a pattern. Maybe buy two cardigans. I think the idea of a flowy blouse over a tank is a good, too.

I can't get it to load, but The Limited online is showing a white cardigan (3/4 sleeve) with a black pattern. It would look nice with a black tank. It's 50% off. Christopher Banks is another store that might work, and I'm betting there are sales happening in August. It's a small store with lots of outfits on display. Very manageable.

Edit: the limited.com search cardigan. Some cute ones come up and it looks like they are all on sale.

I think I totally get you. :001_smile:

Could you do some basic T's, and put on a scarf or a cardi? I get my $5 Ts at Walmart, and I know you don't shop there, but Target has some pretty good deals.

I'm looking for similar things. I really like Dress Barn (despite the unfortunate name), but boy, it adds up, price-wise, doesn't it?

Do you have a Catherines?  They have a fabulous clearance sale going on right now.  50% off already marked down price. 

If Lane Bryant (sister store to Catherines) isn't your thing, Catherines might be. 

they have a  layering tank in  black/white is awesome.  I have several different colors and wear them with a light sweater.  They are probably sold out of both of those, but just saying, they have some cute stuff.

I agree with poster who suggested get a scarf and accessorize a T shirt for now. 

Coldwater Creek is going out of business .  You might have time to check them out?

Thanks, everyone. 

I braved the stores today. It's tax free weekend here, and I figured a lot of stores would try to make hay by having good sales on top of that (which turned out to be true).

I started at Stein Mart and, after an hour or so, found a loose-fitting, dressy black tank with white embroidered designs that, on sale, came in at just over $20. So, I could have stopped there, but I decided to head over to Macy's to see if they might have the knit shorts I like on sale. (I'm down to one pair at the moment.) They did. They also had rack after rack of clearance stuff. So, I moved around a little money and spent some time looking there. I came away with a nice plain black tank and a pretty black blouse with tiny white polka dots that I can wear open over the tank.

At that point, it occurred to me that I was still carrying around a $10 gift card from Sears that I could use toward another pair of pants. So, I trudged over there, where there were also very good sales. I ended up buying two pairs of pants (one black in a nicer fabric than the ones I had already and one dark blue), one more nice tank in blue and one more black and white blouse I can wear open over one of the plain tops.

I spent more than I intended, of course, but I now have three presentable pairs of pants and several different combinations I can mix and match to wear with them. Everything I bought goes with at least one thing I already owned. And I spent just over $100 total (including the shorts), which gives me a nice starter wardrobe for both the job I am training for next week and whatever other interviewing I might do in the coming months. 

I truly do hate shopping, but it feels good to have accomplished this and to know I can get dressed for the training sessions without stressing.

I appreciate all of the suggestions. Thank you all again!