Menu

(please help) Question re: history assignments, 6thgrade

Good afternoon fellow educators, 

I am in the current stages of planning out our 6th grade year. I have three children ranging in age from 3-11. I am struggling on how to teach the history portion to my 11 year old. It seems that the only way I will be able to check his work, and make sure things are moving in the right direction, is if I read along side him or pre-read the text. Is this correct, or am I missing something? This is a huge concern for me. I am also teaching 3rd grade and I have a toddler. The idea of having to basically do the history lessons before he does, is worrisome. Please correct me if I am wrong. Or if you have ideas or suggestions I would greatly welcome them.

Thanks for your time,

Tracy

What are you using for history?  We have done history a few different ways over the years.  Some years, we had programs that came with an answer key.  DD13 would read the material and answered the questions or take quizzes and I would check the answers when she was done.  Other years, we used more discussion - dd would read the material and then we would discuss what she read or she would write a summary of what she read and I would go over it with her. 

DD13 prefers to just read and discuss, with the occasional paper or project to produce.  We will be using History of US this year and I do have tests for that (from Hewitt), so I suspect we will end up with a combination of discussion and end of chapter tests.

Thank you for your response. I am following The Well Trained Mind curriculum guide for History, there aren't any Q&A type workbooks involved this year. It is a read, write about(outline), mark on the timeline, find on the globe type of deal. There will be summaries as well, after outlining. I just feel that I won't know if he is missing pertinent information or not unless I do the history lessons with him, or before he does. In years past there have always been some type of guide for the parent. Maybe once all my material comes in, I will be pleasantly surprised and this won't be so overwhelming. At the moment I'm considering switching to a different curriculum. Which I would really rather not do, I love WTM. 

Yes, I am using the same time period with my 3rd grader. However, they won't be studying from the same text. For the 6th grader the basic text is History of the World, 3d edition. (not to be confused with Story of the World) He'll also be using National Geographic World Atlas for Young Explorers and a timeline. He'll be studying important men and women from that time period as well. We will be using a primary source, and other general resources to pull information from the medieval time period.