Menu

x-post: REWARDS Intermediate (Sopris) - experience?

(X-post from the K-8 forum)

I have been looking at the samples from REWARDS Intermediate from Sopris, and I think it looks amazing.  I'm thinking this will be what oldest DD moves to once we finish DB B or C, not sure which.

I'd like to know:
At what age did your child do this program?

What results did you see from it?

How easy did you find it to implement?

What did you use prior to using REWARDS? What "level" was your child reading before REWARDS?

Thank you for any info you can give!  I know this isn't something used by *a ton* of parents, but I'm hoping someone out there can share.  :)

I've used both the Intermediate and Secondary versions of REWARDS.  I used Secondary with my older son who has dyslexia.  He was 9 or 10yo at the time.  His reading level went up five grade levels.  It's a powerful program.

I used Intermediate with my younger son who actually started reading when he was very young but didn't progress as expected.  When he was 4yo, we found out he needed glasses, and then when he was 5yo, it was very apparent he needed VT.  I used REWARDS with him after he was done with VT to do a tune up of his decoding skills and give him specific strategies for sounding out longer words.  He loved it.

I used this last summer/year with my 11 almost 12 yr old dtr with low working memory/language impaired.  The results were great. She went up 3 reading levels and can attack the multisyllabic words now rather than avoid them. We learned a lot of great strategies. We were working our way through O-G Recipe for Reading but stopped to work on this program because my dtr really wanted to read big kid books. I gave the manual to her special ed teacher because she was impressed with her growth. She now uses it in her ELA class.

I bought REWARDS Intermediate but have not yet used it to my 8yo. He is currently reading at  mid 2nd grade level (he enjoys new colorful Ricky Ricotta's mighty robot book this summer after he got it from Barns and Noble summer reading program.). We stopped at the middle of Dancing Bear C before summer. He is quite solid at one or two syllables words and he is very good at sight words. He knows some syllabus division rules but not using it without reminder so he will guess the multisyllabic words most of time. DB does introduce some prefix and suffix but not covering too much for multi-syllabus words. I am planing to wait till he is more automatic with the syllabus division and then we can start REWARDS intermediate.