Menu

if you could name your road anything you wanted, what would you name it?

I like our street name. This isn't it, but it's like Peaceful Valley Drive. People always comment on how lovely our street sounds (and it is).

We have a neighborhood in our county that's all last names of poets and authors. That's super cool to me.

"This Isn't The Way to Gosh-Darned Ft. Belvoir"

Actually, that should be my driveway's name--it's the continuation of a street; the actual street stops and picks up again about 3 miles away. People are constantly turning down my 550ft driveway and expecting it to be the entrance to Ft B.

We live on the corner of a street with a short and simple tree name, and a street who's named after someone from our city's history that has to be spelled every time because it is so hard to pronounce. Guess which street our address is on?

If I had the choice, I would have preferred the tree name.

I would change it to Wakefield St. Where we lived when we started homeschooling our house and property sat on two lots. Between them was a plotted road that had never been made, it would have gone straight to a big ditch anyway. It was Wakefield St on the maps, hence the name of our homeschool. 

Yeah, we're way on the edge of town, and got word that our road name has to change because the police / fire can't find it. *rolls eyes* It's only us and 1 other house - we get to submit names to the town fathers.

We submitted yet another petition for them to cease and desist, but I am not predicting a win.

We're on Sunny Brook Rd. which is a very nice name for a street, so I'd keep it. If I had to rename it to more accurately reflect our street's personality, it would be something more like "this is a dead end dirt road, please don't drive 60mph street"

I like this! UPS/FedEx both call us to see if and where they can leave our packages in town (and depending on what our is, which town). Glad to know I'm not alone

FedEx will call and meet me at the paved road a few miles from here. UPS makes me drive into town where they have a distribution center. Secretly, the handful of us who live in this area don't want FedEx and UPS barreling down our little private roads anyway.

ETA: We get people who come down our little road who are upset and stressed and thankful to find a living human being and ask where the other outlet is. "There's just the one...the way you came" is unfathomable to them.

I couldn't!  I hate the street names that don't fit into the pattern of the grid.  Numbered streets are north south (ours is a number).  The east west streets are alphabetical, then alphabetical two-syllable names (our cross street is one of those), then alphabetical three-syllable names, then alphabetical flower names.  Diagonals are avenues, those are the states and territories.  Secret streets are one syllable, usually alphabetical in the pattern, in between other streets.  Roads and drives are random.  And those are the ones that make me crazy.  Even though many are useful.  They're throwing off the beautiful pattern!

Anyway, if my street was renamed, it would also throw off the pattern and that would be wrong.

Something in ENGLISH.  Some bozo thought it would be quaint to name all the streets in Spanish :huh:  I am so tired of having to explain that that there isn't "street," "road," or anything else on the end of my street name because "Camino" means road in Spanish.  I'm lucky in that at least the other word in my address is a Spanish name that is well known.  Some of the people in my neighborhood have ridiculously long and unknown street names.  It would also be really nice to be able to understand my GPS instead of constantly trying to guess what the heck it's saying, but that would be icing on the cake ;)

All the houses on the road used to be part of one landed estate, so it would make sense to call the road after that estate.  As it is, the road has no name - but then none of the roads in the village do, and there are no house numbers (just names).  Delivery vans go first to the village hall, where there is a map of all the houses in the village; only then can they make their delivery.

L

• 4 weeks later...

I once lived on Navidad.  I hated it, I always had to spell it.  When buying a house, I have to approve the street name before looking at it.  We are going to build soon and there is a one street, I refuse to buy a lot on it.  Since it has a unique spelling for a girl's name. 

If I got to name a street, I want to live on Easy Street or Love Bird Lane.

I live on the corner of Montague and Tuscany. I would change Tuscany to Verona since Capulet is down the road, or I would want to trade Tuscany for Capulet.

ETA: I often have to spell out Montague for people, or they pronounce it Montagooey. Really? O.o