Menu

Math Rehab! Help please!! 9 DS

Cz mama

We are finding our way with homeschooling--its a journey for sure. My 9 DS is an English/language guy. His fantasy would be staying up all night reading the Story of the World books. He despises math. We had him in a classical private school k-3.5, took him out half way through the school year because of some health issues. The school used Saxon math exclusively (I like Saxon also because it's no frills, methodical) and I am using Saxon at home to ease transition, etc. Long term, I really want to stick with Saxon because it seems like a great black and white system and I like the script for parents. The problem is that for various reasons, DS just HATES math. Every time I bring it up he groans, moans and so forth. I think part of it is that in school before he was a little behind the class curve and he didn't feel in his zone, the teacher harbored a secret hatred for Saxon (maybe the kids got a negative vibe from her hatred of it?), and she and his 2nd gr. teacher would use math fact sheets as punishment. For example, if he talked excessively in class, he would get a '100s' sheet, consisting of 100 math facts on top of his normal homework. The tears, etc. would happen. My plan is to re evaluate his appropriate math level (we are on Saxon 3, and I'm thinking we need to backtrack some for better understanding). I've tried to explain the importance/life applications of math--and that some people love math, and hate LAs--he said "that's ridiculous!" lol. I'm also going to try and focus on using a fun "rehab" math book like Sylvan Learning Math book from Costco that has fun games, pics, etc. and gently integrate Saxon back in. I honestly don't have the ability/money or time to investigate too many other math programs. Is that ignorant and stubborn? I feel overwhelmed in general with our life right now, how does one go about trying out/seeing other math programs without the investment, how does that all work? Thanks

You could take a look at Christian Light Education (CLE). There are many, many math programs to choose from, but CLE is not very expensive and you could just buy one Light Unit (workbook) to see if it's a good fit. I think there's a placement test on their website that would help you know which to buy. They also have good samples online that can give you an idea if it's something you even want to consider.

Also, if you do end up checking out some other options and give placement tests, try not to worry about where he places. Even if you stick with Saxon, I'd encourage you to just meet him where he is and go forward. :)

Good luck with your decision!

This is something where I would try a program with a different "look". There are times when a kid's frustration can just shut them down.

CLE, as suggested, is similar to Saxon with the spiral, is open-and-go, is very traditional math, and goes up to 8th grade. I'd try it. It's also cheap. Quite honestly I'd start him in the second grade book just to let him regain some confidence in math, but you could also try the placement test.

(BTW, Saxon's script goes away after 3 anyway).

It is also a real shame that his school used math as punishment. WTF.

Some language kids really like Life of Fred. Some find him weird.  See if the first book is at the library and give it a try. You are supposed to start at the beginning to get used to the new way of doing things and starting out super easy might build confidence.

Using school work as a punishment is ridiculous and creates the wrong connection in kids minds. When my kids were small and being bad, I made a big deal of threatening to take books away from them. For some reason, that worked more often that not.

I would take a break from math for about a month. Just get a deep breath and maybe play some games to work on math facts, then look into a new math book, not because Saxon is bad, but because of the bad blood between your son and Saxon.

For a child who is overwhelmed by and hates that sort of drill, Saxon is the wrong program.  You can go back to it once you're done with elementary math if you feel it's the right option, but in the meantime, there is zero reason to use a program that causes a kid to cry like that.  Math facts can be practiced in games.  Concepts are more important than drills.  Slow and steady is more important than being able to do a hundred problems.  I say change it up!

I agree to look at CLE, you might also look at Teaching Textbooks, look at Math Mammoth...  and while it's seen as a "harder" program, you might look at Singapore Primary Math.  One of the nice things about it is that it's fewer problems with a bigger gain.  It's also just a different way of thinking about math and there's a solid Home Instructor's Guide as well.

I would stop math altogether for a good long while. I would play games and point out real life math (as discreetly as possible). When I restarted, possibly not until after the new year (yes, seriously :tongue_smilie: ), I would hand him a Life of Fred book if he likes silly stuff. If not, I would get Miquon. I would not buy the rehab workbook. Instead, I would spend that money on a vat of cuisenaire rods. In your shoes, I would watch all the videos at Education Unboxed (FREE!!! http://www.educationunboxed.com) and spend some time self-educating with them to learn how to introduce math in a fun, engaging way. Later, I would look at Beast Academy. I would definitely make a switch from Saxon though, because he probably has a visceral negative reaction to it that will be hard to get over.

It's hard to imagine how a box of cuisenaire rods can be so mathematically educational and fun. But it is. If you take a look at Education Unboxed, you can rest assured that these blocks can span concepts from primary math all the way to algebra. I had to use rods for SM 6 challenging word problems; it was way easier to play around with rods than to draw diagrams.

I know there are many of us here who are wired to do math everyday. So when you see that there are suggestions to drop worksheets for a few weeks, play around with cuisenaire rods, look at Education Unboxed videos for inspiration, that means it's alright to take some time off so that a child can get a different perspective on math, which is more important in the long run.

I'd personally stick with Saxon, but include math supplements that he might enjoy before and after. Maybe a warmup game, and a logic puzzle or worksheet afterward? Math is non-negotiable here and I don't change curricula unless it isn't working at all for comprehension. We work on attitudes separately and encourage the kids to work quickly and diligently so they have more time for fun activities. Whining just draws it out.

I only suggested switching because he probably associates it with school where maths was used as a punishment.

I don't think getting upset about maths at this point is the same as a kid who has been home schooled for a while whining about not doing maths.

Just coming back to add if he likes mine craft (as does even though we don't have it) Educents have a free minecraft geometry unit at the moment.