Menu

My ProClick just broke. :-(

That's the second one I've killed. We start school next week. The boys get weekly ProClick notebooks full of all of their assignments for the week. Now I have to either buy another one or three-hole-punch everything I've already done and put them in 3-ring binders. *sigh* What a pain!

I've followed all of the instructions on number of pages to punch, etc. I love, love, love the way the spines work, but the machine is not made for frequent use. It's also not easily fixable, perhaps not fixable at all. I don't think I will continue to recommend it.

Has anyone found another binding machine that works with the ProClick spines?

ETA ~ It's fixed! LatteMama's very technical ;-) directions had it fixed quickly. Thanks again, LatteMama!

I've never used a ProClick, so I can't help with it.  If you can't find a better option, I've been using a comb binder for years and love it!  I've been using the same binder for at least 6 years (very heavy use) and not had any problems with it.  It's my second comb binder but not because there was anything wrong with the first (it is probably 14 years old).  I just wanted to be able to bind more pages at a time so I bought a new one 6 or more years ago.

That's the second one I've killed. We start school next week. The boys get weekly ProClick notebooks full of all of their assignments for the week. Now I have to either buy another one or three-hole-punch everything I've already done and put them in 3-ring binders. *sigh* What a pain!

I've followed all of the instructions on number of pages to punch, etc. I love, love, love the way the spines work, but the machine is not made for frequent use. It's also not easily fixable, perhaps not fixable at all. I don't think I will continue to recommend it.

Has anyone found another binding machine that works with the ProClick spines?

Have you tried contacting the company?  I have had luck doing that in similar situations(although not with this particular company).  Especially since you have purchased two! I believe things I buy should last a reasonable amount of time with a reasonable amount of use.

Try to contact the company.

I love my Proclick.

I've actually broke mine and then fixed it myself. I'm not sure if your proclick broke in the same way, but the handle would move up and down but it wasn't connected to anything on the inside so the little punching things weren't moving.  (Ha ha! I know I'm using such technical terms!)

All you need is a screwdriver.  Flip it over and carefully remove the squishy pads so you can reach the screws underneath. And then just start unscrewing everything.  Try to keep track of your screws and the order you are removing parts.  I'm not the handiest person so if I can do it then almost anyone could.

Once I removed enough parts, I could see that the sliding handle was suppose to be connected to a plastic part (that was not actually broke) it had some how just come unsnapped. I snapped it back together and put everything back together.  Now, I'm not that handy so I actually put it back together three times because I kept messing up the order.  But I'm sure someone with a better short term memory will be able to do it on the first try.

I hope this helps.

I've actually broke mine and then fixed it myself. I'm not sure if your proclick broke in the same way, but the handle would move up and down but it wasn't connected to anything on the inside so the little punching things weren't moving. (Ha ha! I know I'm using such technical terms!)

All you need is a screwdriver. Flip it over and carefully remove the squishy pads so you can reach the screws underneath. And then just start unscrewing everything. Try to keep track of your screws and the order you are removing parts. I'm not the handiest person so if I can do it then almost anyone could.

Once I removed enough parts, I could see that the sliding handle was suppose to be connected to a plastic part (that was not actually broke) it had some how just come unsnapped. I snapped it back together and put everything back together. Now, I'm not that handy so I actually put it back together three times because I kept messing up the order. But I'm sure someone with a better short term memory will be able to do it on the first try.

I hope this helps.

This is EXACTLY what happened both times. I tried taking it apart the first time but I guess I'm even less handy than you are. lol I bet I didn't remove the squishy pads, and subsequently the screws underneath, which is why it wouldn't come apart for me. I'm going to have my husband take it apart tonight and fix it. Thank you so much for your reply!

As for contacting the company.....I did that when the first one broke and the woman I corresponded with was not at all helpful. I should have known The Hive could have helped!

OP, I'm glad you could fix it. :)

Folks, today is the last day of the estimated delivery window of my order for ProClick P50 on Amazon (which I placed on June 12), and I just got the message it's postponed and the new delivery estimate is September 2 - September 16. :eek:  And Amazon said if it's still not possible to ship by Sep. 16, they'll just cancel my order then.

I guess I should cancel this order... so frustrated. :( Our nearest OfficeDepot (30 mins away by drive) has it on backorder, too. Does anyone know where else I can find it? 

Now I'm looking at a comb binding machine... 

You can get proclick-like spines for a regular comb binding machine.  They can open and close like the proclick spines.

http://www.mybinding.com/.sc/ms/cat/Bookbinding%20Supplies--GBC%20ZipBind

I don't know how widely available they are, I'm in Australia and I don't think I can get them here.  I have the A4 version of the proclick, called a clickman.  I didn't know they could break!  If mine ever does, thanks to this thread I'll know to try taking it apart and fixing it myself.  Hopefully it won't happen!

OP, I'm glad you could fix it. :)

Folks, today is the last day of the estimated delivery window of my order for ProClick P50 on Amazon (which I placed on June 12), and I just got the message it's postponed and the new delivery estimate is September 2 - September 16. :eek:  And Amazon said if it's still not possible to ship by Sep. 16, they'll just cancel my order then.

I guess I should cancel this order... so frustrated. :( Our nearest OfficeDepot (30 mins away by drive) has it on backorder, too. Does anyone know where else I can find it? 

Now I'm looking at a comb binding machine... 

Well I see that someone is selling one used on Amazon: "Almost like new condition, barely read."  :blink:

It looks like a comb binder with the alternative GBC spines would be a better option than waiting forever on Amazon.

Well I see that someone is selling one used on Amazon: "Almost like new condition, barely read."  :blink:

It looks like a comb binder with the alternative GBC spines would be a better option than waiting forever on Amazon.

I followed the link to the GBC spines and have a question.  Is the largest size really 5/8", or is that just the largest that MyBinding.com carries?  I almost always use spines 3/4" or larger when I comb bind and that just seems so small to me. 

Cheryl,

Which comb binder machine do you have?  I'd be interested in getting one too.  At this point in time I don't have either a proclick or a comb binder.

Thanks.

This is the one that I have but I didn't pay anywhere near that much for it.  I believe that I bought it through MyBinding.com when it was on sale.  I want to say under $100 but I've had it for at least 6 years so I don't remember.  On Amazon it says that it came out in 2006.  I might have bought it then for an introductory sale price.  I haven't looked since then so I have no idea what the latest and greatest is.  I try not to look ;)  If it self destructed I would probably go for a current manual model with a good price.  I won't buy electric because they are more expensive and complicated if something was to go wrong.

http://www.amazon.com/GBC-CombBind-Binding-Machine-7704240/dp/B0017TM36M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406908148&sr=8-1&keywords=gbc+c110

I looked at the Pro-Click type spines that can be used with a comb binder (someone higher in the thread posted about them) but was really disappointed in the small size.  I rarely use spines that small so they would be useless to me.  I'm surprised that they don't come larger.

thanks for the quick reply!  Do you have any suggestions on what type of spines to buy?  brand name?  you like them 3/4" right?  do i need anything else?  i don't think so, but just want to be sure.  kwim?

IMO, newer not necessarily mean better.  You have one that has worked for you for years, so that's good enough for me.  :) 

Thanks for your suggestion!

Jeannie

thanks for the quick reply!  Do you have any suggestions on what type of spines to buy?  brand name?  you like them 3/4" right?  do i need anything else?  i don't think so, but just want to be sure.  kwim?

IMO, newer not necessarily mean better.  You have one that has worked for you for years, so that's good enough for me.  :)

Thanks for your suggestion!

Jeannie

I buy the ones on MyBinding.com in bulk because I bind a lot, LOL.  To start out, I would probably buy some at Staples or another office supply store.  Size is going to depend on the thickness of what you are binding so it can vary a lot.  Most of what I bind is thick so the spines I use most frequently are 3/4", 7/8", and 1'.  Measure the things you want to bind and see how thick they are.  I also use spines slightly larger than recommended, especially if binding something that is thin, because the pages would tend to get caught in the center (this can happen with any kind of binding if the comb/spiral/etc is too small).  I think recommended is the thickness of what is to be bound + 1/8".  I use more like thickness + 1/4".

Yes, it's great for me but there could be better now, and I would definitely shop around for a better price!  Now way would I have paid that much!  They no longer carry it on MyBinding.com (just the electric version) so there is probably a newer model.

I followed the link to the GBC spines and have a question. Is the largest size really 5/8", or is that just the largest that MyBinding.com carries? I almost always use spines 3/4" or larger when I comb bind and that just seems so small to me.

Yes, I've only ever bought 3/8" or 5/8". I think I've only needed a larger comb once and I just split the book into 2. I'm guessing the spines would have a hard time staying closed under the stress of larger stacks of paper, so they keep them small.

Yes, I've only ever bought 3/8" or 5/8". I think I've only needed a larger comb once and I just split the book into 2. I'm guessing the spines would have a hard time staying closed under the stress of larger stacks of paper, so they keep them small.

Ah, that makes sense.  Thanks!  I guess it's good I never bought a comb binder instead!  I'd have to divide everything into 2 or move volumes, LOL.

I followed the link to the GBC spines and have a question.  Is the largest size really 5/8", or is that just the largest that MyBinding.com carries?  I almost always use spines 3/4" or larger when I comb bind and that just seems so small to me. 

As an alternate-The proclick is compatible with the 3:1 coils and I've found them as large as 50 mm. However I haven't found them anywhere in a box of less than 100. 

I was just looking into this and the largest size proclick/clickman spines are 5/8" or 16mm.  They bind approximately 145 sheets.  The 1/2" or 12mm bind approximately 95 sheets.

I gave my comb binding machine away the day after I got my clickman.  I only had to try it once to know I'd never go back.  :wub:

Found this thread on zipbinds (looks like quality is an issue):  http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/456221-proclick-fans-an-option-zipbind/

As an alternate-The proclick is compatible with the 3:1 coils and I've found them as large as 50 mm. However I haven't found them anywhere in a box of less than 100. 

You're talking about spiral binding coils, right?  That would remove the ability to easily open the binding. 

I was just looking into this and the largest size proclick/clickman spines are 5/8" or 16mm.  They bind approximately 145 sheets.  The 1/2" or 12mm bind approximately 95 sheets.

I gave my comb binding machine away the day after I got my clickman.  I only had to try it once to know I'd never go back.  :wub:

Found this thread on zipbinds (looks like quality is an issue):  http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/456221-proclick-fans-an-option-zipbind/

That will keep me from every trying a ProClick or the ZipBinds (even if quality wasn't an issue).  The spines are just too small for me.  I guess it's good I love my comb binder, LOL!  I also like being able to write on the spine of a comb.

I was wondering, since proclicks and comb binders are expensive, are they necessary to have?  I put lots of stuff in binders.  Can someone tell me why you use it?  I imagine to save space.

Is that the only reason?  So, talk me into getting one.  :)

I love to shop.  :)

They usually aren't absolutely necessary, but it really depends on how much you will use it.  You can have things comb and spiral bound at places like Staples or Kinkos (I don't know if they bind using ProClick style combs).  If you won't be binding things all the time it would be better to have them do it.  The disadvantage to having someone else do it is that you won't be able to reopen the comb if it's comb bound.  Coils can be removed but it's a pain and you wouldn't be able to add pages because you wouldn't have a punch.  If you are like me and comb bind a lot, then it's worth it.  If I'd had Staples or Kinkos bind everything that I've bound over the years it would have cost me a lot more than my equipment and spines.  Doing it myself also gives me the ability to open/close binding to add/remove/rearrange pages anytime I want.

All that to say, it's really going to vary from one person to another.  If you decide to get one or the other, I would also look at the size of things you want to bind.  Since most of what I bind needs a comb larger than ProClick makes, I couldn't use a ProClick even if I wanted to.  However, that might not be an issue for you.

Yes, I was referring to the coil bindings. I love having small binders for each subject and had  planned to put their completed work together at the end of the year. However, I did not realize I would need to buy a box of 100 and the 50 mm would run me over $100. So, I'll be keeping a small sample of their favorites and tossing the rest into storage, or somewhere until I'm ready to part with them

*Jessica*- I'm glad you were able to fix yours. I'm glad I joined the boards-there is so much knowledge here. I'd bet this community could solve just about any problem!

I got mine specifically to be able to re-open the coils.  For example, I plan for six to ten weeks at a time for school.  I can re-open my planner and change the pages anytime.  I can print out my detailed history plans for the week and put them in my planner.  I can add more note pages, or calendar pages, or whatever.  Spiral binding it was too much of a commitment, and comb binding too much of a pain to change the pages.  A binder is too bulky.  The proclick makes it so easy!

We will soon be living on the road full-time and have limited space.  My proclick/clickman is coming with us!  We'll use it to create travel journals and nature journals, and for curriculum that needs to be printed.  This way we can add to the journals in any way we please.  In this case it's mostly a space-saving measure over binders.

I also prefer the clean look of the spines over the comb binding, and the round holes of the punch. ;)  Like I said, I gave away my comb binder the day after I got my clickman.  :)

I got mine specifically to be able to re-open the coils.  For example, I plan for six to ten weeks at a time for school.  I can re-open my planner and change the pages anytime.

I remember reading somewhere that the coils can only be opened/re-used up to 6 times.

Is that true?

I remember reading somewhere that the coils can only be opened/re-used up to 6 times.

Is that true?

I've certainly re-opened the coils on some of mine more often than that - although I do find that the little bit that clicks them together breaks after a while on some of the coils.  It doesn't bother me much if a few of them are broken as they still stay pretty close together, and I've never had pages slip out or anything.

Is that true?

Sometimes I open mine 6 times a day! lol They will break after a while, but I used the same spine for the boys' weekly notebooks for the entirety of last year, opening them a minimum of 36 times, and only one had a couple of the rings break. A couple of broken rings isn't an issue when there are so many holding it together, and most people probably don't open and close them as much as I do, anyway!

Thanks everyone for writing your experiences. I went to office max and it did have both the comb binder n proclick. It had the spines for the comb binder n the zip binders for the proclick. I may have to order the spines for the proclick online since zip binders have a bad rep. Plus I'm thinking of getting different colors for different subjects.

I have a lot of ebooks, so it looks like it'll be advantageous to get one.

With 3 kids, we need ideas to save space and this looks like a great one.

So glad I joined this forum. :)

Jeannie

I also have opened mine many times.  Occasionally I have to press a coil or two closed with my fingers because they didn't close all the way with the zip tool.  I haven't had any break or not work. 

The bindings are very easy to cut as well, so good for making smaller sized books if need be.

I always bind my books with the back cover on top.  Then when you flip the cover around to the back the spine of the coil is caught in front of the back cover, keeping it from shifting as you open and close your book.  I think that tip was in the instructions.

Here's a blog link with great pictures of the proclick system.  Warning: Viewing of these photos may induce feelings of proclick euphoria.  Proceed with caution.

http://satorismiles.com/?s=proclick&submit=Find

After seeing how she bound FLL I'm going to do that also, we've just been tearing pages out of the workbook as we go.

I wish she still blogged, she did such great, thorough reviews!

I also have opened mine many times.  Occasionally I have to press a coil or two closed with my fingers because they didn't close all the way with the zip tool.  I haven't had any break or not work. 

Not relevant to the discussion, but I just wanted to share that I've not yet mastered the art of using the zip tool to close a spine. :( The couple of times I tried, I managed to break a few of the connectors. So now, I just close it by hand, and use the zip tool only to open a spine.

I always bind my books with the back cover on top.  Then when you flip the cover around to the back the spine of the coil is caught in front of the back cover, keeping it from shifting as you open and close your book.  I think that tip was in the instructions.

What a great idea! I will try this the next time I bind a workbook. :)

Thanks everyone for writing your experiences. I went to office max and it did have both the comb binder n proclick. It had the spines for the comb binder n the zip binders for the proclick. I may have to order the spines for the proclick online since zip binders have a bad rep. Plus I'm thinking of getting different colors for different subjects.

I have a lot of ebooks, so it looks like it'll be advantageous to get one.

With 3 kids, we need ideas to save space and this looks like a great one.

So glad I joined this forum. :)

Jeannie

I *think* the zipbinds don't work with a proclick, they are specifically for comb binders.  The holes wouldn't line up.  The proclick has more holes, so more coils.

(Just to clarify, I don't want you to end up with the wrong spines!)

I had considered a ProClick but ended up going with a spiral binding system because I LIKE the semi-permanance of spiral binding.  I can snip the wire fairly easily (with pliers) but it's just enough of a hassle I want to make sure I actually need to take it apart before I do.  

And I've never liked comb-bound books.  They just don't fold back on themselves like I want a notebook to do...

This is the one I have:  The Cinch (they're 2:1 coils)

I snagged it for about $50, on sale though, as I recall.   I can bind anything from a quarter inch up to about 1.5 inches…perfect for my teacher's manuals.

Like all the rest, you can buy a couple of bindings for about the same as a couple dozen, in bulk.

Skeeterbug,

which proclick do you have:

GBC ClickMan Click Binder

2. p50

3. p110?

Thanks!

Well, I went ahead and bought the proclick p50.  I was just too excited to get organized!  I ordered spines too and made sure it said proclick spines.  :)

I have the Clickman which is for A4-sized paper.  A4 paper is a bit longer and won't fit in a Proclick.  If you are in America than the p50 for Letter-sized paper should be perfect.  Happy printing and binding!  ;)

• 8 years later...
On 7/29/2014 at 3:28 PM, LatteMama said:

I've actually broke mine and then fixed it myself. I'm not sure if your proclick broke in the same way, but the handle would move up and down but it wasn't connected to anything on the inside so the little punching things weren't moving.  (Ha ha! I know I'm using such technical terms!)

All you need is a screwdriver.  Flip it over and carefully remove the squishy pads so you can reach the screws underneath. And then just start unscrewing everything.  Try to keep track of your screws and the order you are removing parts.  I'm not the handiest person so if I can do it then almost anyone could.

Once I removed enough parts, I could see that the sliding handle was suppose to be connected to a plastic part (that was not actually broke) it had some how just come unsnapped. I snapped it back together and put everything back together.  Now, I'm not that handy so I actually put it back together three times because I kept messing up the order.  But I'm sure someone with a better short term memory will be able to do it on the first try.

I hope this helps.

You are my HERO!!! I just got mine fixed thanks to your tip. I hadn't thought to remove the squishy pads to look underneath. Thank you!!! You just saved me having to buy a new one. My ProClick is my #1 favorite teacher tool... followed closely by post-it sticky tabs

• Like 1