Menu

Daily Nap (for you) Anybody plan this into their day regularly?

Ginevra

This kind of goes with the thread on menopause, but it is still applicable to everyone. I have pretty much always, all my life, had a low-energy point in the afternoon, some time between about 2 and 4pm. It is now often pronounced, though. If i'm in any setting where it is possible to fall asleep, I definitely will. I have often considered scheduling a specific nap for myself. Up to an hour, but possibly only 30-45 minutes. Does anyone do this? I do remember my grandfather did intentionally have a nap every day, complete with his alarm clock set. But he was older, after all, and it's probably quite uncommon.

I often take a nap. At times in my life, such as when ds was a baby and toddler, I did it nearly every day. Other times, it happens only a few times a month.

But my naps are short -- 20 minutes or 30 minutes max. Longer than that and it's hard for me to wake up afterward.

When my dh was growing up in Germany, his mom and all his friends' moms used to nap in the afternoon. My own family doesn't nap so if I lie down they think there is something wrong with me, but thankfully, dh is always very understanding.

Sometimes, especially hsing, the need to nap is due to the emotional overload of dealing with intense kids all day and not just a physical need.

Yes, it grew out of needing to nap when baby napped (16 years of babies about every two years) and now I blame it on being old.  I just don't function well in the evening without one.  I used to nap after lunch, but in the last few years now that I am the only one napping, it is least disruptive to school if I nap at 3.  The children are separated to different rooms with school assignments or reading or quiet play depending on age and productivity of their day.  IF I were able to fall asleep quickly, I would probably set a 30 minute timer.  Since I can't, I usually set the alarm for an hour later and this usually gets me 30-45 minutes of sleep.  Any longer and it is really hard to wake up.  There are articles out there about power naps and the optimum amount of sleep to refresh without making you so groggy afterwards.  Maybe Michael Hyatt wrote about this, but I'm sure there are others.

Now that I don't have little ones napping I don't take a nap every day, but as needed depending on how much sleep I've been getting at night.  It is probably 3-5 times a week though.

I read aloud to the kids when I get up (usually while someone works on dinner and others fold laundry) and that is the end of our school day.

Kendall 

Add insomnia to the mix, and yes my daily naps are almost a must. Part of my issue is not age or hypothyroidism, but past effects of radiation treatment. I belong to a group of long-term survivors and stamina and fatigue are a common issue. 

Sometimes I nap for 45 minutes sorting of just drifting off, some days it's an hour of solid sleep. I quit feeling badly about it a few years ago. 

I wouldn't say I schedule it, but if the baby falls asleep any time between 1 and 3, and I feel sufficiently caught up with school for eldest and my work, then yes. I lay down and nap. My favorite place to crash is the area rug in the living room, beneath my big windows. With a huge pillow. :D

Posted Today, 09:25 AM

When my dh was growing up in Germany, his mom and all his friends' moms used to nap in the afternoon. My own family doesn't nap so if I lie down they think there is something wrong with me, but thankfully, dh is always very understanding.

I have read before that napping in the afternoon is common in many European countries. I do think Americans equate it with weakness, though.

Sometimes I nap for 45 minutes sorting of just drifting off, some days it's an hour of solid sleep. I quit feeling badly about it a few years ago.

I wish I would quit feeling badly about it.

Yes!  At our house quiet time is 2-4.  Sometimes I'll sleep a bit during that time, sometimes not.  But I always have that downtime or I would lose my mind.

And we have a "blood or fire" rule.  That is, if you disturb me during quiet time (or when I'm in the bathroom) you had better have blood or fire to show for it.

I wish I would quit feeling badly about it.

Well there's your problem.  ;)

One thing that helped me not feel any guilt was learning to get up from the nap better.  When I was younger, pre-kids and then when the kids were little and I was just exhausted all the time, it was hard to take the nap and then get up.  If I took at nap at 3:00, I really wanted to sleep until 9pm or something crazy.  But getting into more of a regular routine and training myself to really only sleep for about an hour plus a little helped me drop the guilt because I could see how much happier and more productive - including for family tasks like making dinner and reading aloud to the kids and being on top of them to clean up and so forth - that it made me.

You could stop calling it nap time. While I don't care, it does sound like something you make little kids do. You could think of it as a rebooting time. There were some studies (not searching right now) that showed 15 minutes in a prone position can help stimulate creativity. I have days where I feel like my brain is just overloaded and it really does help reset it, like rebooting your computer and clearing out the history. 

You should hang out with me. I manage to get a nap about once a week. When it happens, I'm quote proud and announce it to my friends as a noteworthy achievement. I'm a champion napper. I can fall asleep quickly, but I HAVE to set an alarm or I'll sleep for two hours and be up half the night.

why not?

If you can fit it in, I see absolutely nothing wrong with taking a quick doze in the afternoon.

I scheduled this when I had babies waking in the night. I learned to really be diligent before naptime because I wanted to lay down guilt free. I also found that I was/am much more effective after resting for 30 minutes or so than if I try to slog through on the little energy that I have at that time of day. If I haven't been sleeping well at night, I do everything I can to get a little doze in the afternoon.

Don't feel badly about it at all.

Hormonal changes can wreck your night sleep. So why feel bad about resting midday.

Yesterday, I woke at 4:30 and could not get to sleep. After 30-45 minutes of tossing and turning, I went ahead and got up and got started on my day. I wanted to get things accomplished so I could rest later when my energy dipped. That's what I did.

If you're not sleeping well at night, then go ahead and tackle some chores and lay down when you feel sleepy. Rest in the afternoon. Scientists say that as long as  you get 8 hours in a 24 hour period, you should be fine, even if it's not all in one long spell.

You could stop calling it nap time. While I don't care, it does sound like something you make little kids do. You could think of it as a rebooting time. There were some studies (not searching right now) that showed 15 minutes in a prone position can help stimulate creativity. I have days where I feel like my brain is just overloaded and it really does help reset it, like rebooting your computer and clearing out the history.

This is brilliant. I can even make a placard to hang on the door: "Reboot in progress. All systems down. Check back later." :)

I read somewhere that the ideal nap time is 26 minutes. Every afternoon I close my bedroom door, set a timer for 30 minutes, and close my eyes. It is the perfect amount of time. Sometimes I sleep longer, but usually I find that I wake up refreshed and energetic.

We routinely have a Quiet Time around 2pm daily (schedules permitting... this has gotten less consistent as the kids have reached teen years, although not less necessary). We turn off all electronics (with the possible exception of soft music), turn down the lights, draw the shades, and either nap or just rest quietly for about an hour. Bliss!

I would really, really love to be able to do that. I hit a low spot mid afternoon too, but I can't sleep if there are any voices anywhere in the house and it's almost impossible to get everyone to settle completely too. I can send the kids to their rooms for quiet time but my youngest still talks and dh still talks. I didn't even nap when my kids were babies. If I could though, I would.

While I don't schedule it, I probably get a little nap in several days a week. When school is in session (I have to get up pretty early to get disabled dd up, ready, and on the bus), I often get less than 8 hours of sleep at night. And I'm one of those people who need more sleep--9 hours would be ideal. The other big realization for me is that my workload is bi-modal. I have a lot to do in the morning taking care of kids, getting kids to classes, home schooling, etc, but then I also have a second shift between 4:00 and 8:00 at night--driving kids places, making dinner, cleaning up the kitchen, and getting disabled dd down for the night. My "downtime" is between these two big blocks of work and go, go, go. So I don't feel a bit guilty. Plus it makes my cat so happy if I just lie down on the couch for awhile--he always joins me for nap time!

I did it today. I told my kids I was going to my room for a Factory Data Reset. :D i set a timer for 35 minutes and woke up seven seconds before it beeped!

My afternoon nap isn't exactly planned, but if I sneak to the basement, turn on the TV, stretch out in the Easy-boy chair and pull the blanket up to my ears, I am going to nap. It's delightful!

My reasoning: I'm on summer vacation; I'm going through pre-menopause and trying to save my family from my crazy mood swings; I play tennis pretty much every evening so a little afternoon nap is pre-game preparation; our puppy gets me up early in the morning and I'm NOT a morning person.

I don't usually sleep but this pregnancy is making me soooo tired. So now, yes. I nap. My 5yo still needs a nap. My 3yo doesn't :( so gem and I have to go lay down every day after lunch. 

Even when I don't sleep, I need a rest in the afternoon. Some quiet alone time to read and relax and not take care of anyone but me.

I get a 15 or 20 minute nap, most days, and I work in an office! It's awesome. It's my office, which helps, and I have no shame. :) I'm up at 4:30 am, get in a run before work, work like crazy, and sometime in the afternoon I close my office door, whip out the blanket and pillow and take a big old nap. I have a sofa in my office, which my 15 year old is usually on doing his schoolwork, so I have a mat we use when hiking that cushions the floor just enough for me. It makes the rest of my day so much better! Yesterday I just didn't have time and fell asleep sitting in a chair. : / Naps are awesome.

Danielle,

If i'm in any setting where it is possible to fall asleep, I definitely will.   Based on that statement, you should have a sleep study for narcolepsy to rule that out.

To answer your question, I can NOT sleep/nap during the day.  If I nap during the day it's very difficult for me to sleep at night.  I'm a sleep patient and on cpap machine.  Now, maybe 2-3 times a year my busy schedule comes together and I crash.  Then I "am" able to nap and not compromise my night's sleep.

I'm defining nap as a sleep and not "resting eyes".

My mother (now 70) has always had a siesta between 2-4pm.  When we were little we had to stay in our rooms then unless there was an emergency.  As we got older we knew to leave her alone and keep it down then.  I still don't call her between those hours and we never plan a family get together at that time.

Yes! At our house quiet time is 2-4. Sometimes I'll sleep a bit during that time, sometimes not. But I always have that downtime or I would lose my mind.

And we have a "blood or fire" rule. That is, if you disturb me during quiet time (or when I'm in the bathroom) you had better have blood or fire to show for it.

We have the blood or fire rule too, but I had to add finding ticks in your room or on your person, or vomit, to the rule, unfortunately!!

If i'm in any setting where it is possible to fall asleep, I definitely will. Based on that statement, you should have a sleep study for narcolepsy to rule that out.

Hmmm. I've never considered that possibility. Isn't Narcolepsy episodic? My impromptu napping isn't like that. It's a consistently low-energy phase in the afternoon. So, if I'm doing something in a relaxed state (reading, sitting at a desk, driving), I will start to fall asleep. (obviously, driving is the most alarming of those possibilities). If I'm doing something that prevents the possibility of falling asleep (gardening, shopping, hiking, washing the car), I will feel low-energy, but I wouldn't fall inexplicably asleep. I think in Narcolepsy, it is like a seizure, right? You can't help falling asleep, even if the setting is a strong deterrent. Correct me if I am wrong.

I had a lovely nap today! I had a mammo this morning (always stressful) and I was up for several hours last night fighting off the bear. 12:30, I hit my pillow and it was awesome!

The only mammogram I've had, I fainted. Now I am gun-shy. I know it is important to do, but it had been pleasantly easy to ignore.