Menu

elite school comment

I saw this on FB - I don't subscribe to Nancy Pearcy but it popped up in one of those similar story things. I wondered what the Hive thinks?

Former Yale Professor Advises "Don't Send Your Kid to an Ivy League School" -- Religious Colleges Do a Better Job

"Elite schools like to boast that they teach their students how to think, but all they mean is that they train them in the analytic and rhetorical skills that are necessary for success in business and the professions. Everything is technocratic—the development of expertise—and everything is ultimately justified in technocratic terms.

Religious colleges—even obscure, regional schools that no one has ever heard of on the coasts—often do a much better job in that respect. What an indictment of the Ivy League and its peers: that colleges four levels down on the academic totem pole, enrolling students whose SAT scores are hundreds of points lower than theirs, deliver a better education, in the highest sense of the word....

Students determine the level of classroom discussion; they shape your values and expectations, for good and ill. It’s partly because of the students that I’d warn kids away from the Ivies and their ilk. Kids at less prestigious schools are apt to be more interesting, more curious, more open, and far less entitled and competitive."

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/118747/ivy-league-schools-are-overrated-send-your-kids-elsewhere?utm_source=Campus+Connections+-+Monday%2C+July+28%2C+2014&utm_campaign=CampusConnectionsJuly282014&utm_medium=email