Menu

How do you handle rude texters?

lynn

Here is what happened.  I went to check dd class list which was posted on the glass doors of the school.  There was a family who walked up about the same time I did so I let them go first to check their class lists.  I waited several minutes, now they had to have seen me 1. walking up about the same time and 2. see my reflection in the class as I was behind them.   I gave the proper "excuse me" no movement I finally went beside them  so I can see the list and notice mama is texting I am assuming friends to let them know what teacher they had.  Mama never looked up from text as dd was saying janies in so so's class, oh look so and so is in my class.   That's fine but people are waiting patiently behind you.  It took me all of 20 seconds to find dd name see her teachers name and make sure friend was not in her class.  Texting while people are waiting behind has become #1 on my gripe list.  

I thought you were going to say how annoying it is when you're having a conversation and people nod like they're listening, but they text other people. Ugh.

In that case I would have just said excuse me right away when I realized they weren't looking at the class sheets. It was thoughtless and rude to block them, but I don't blame texting per se. She was there and caught up in another activity without moving.

ETA: oh, you said excuse me... Yeah, that's just rude. What is wrong with people?

I wonder how many people she was conveying their relevant info to? If she was texting, say, 3 other families about their children's placement, then I think she deserved a "turn" that reflects that role.

Otherwise (If the texts are actually irrelevant) I would have tapped her and been more specific about my "excuse me" -- like, "I'm sorry. Would you mind just stepping aside as you finish up? I need to get a look at the list, thanks."

Maybe I'm too nice, but if I knew I had to text several people about the class list and I saw only one person in line behind me I'd just let them go first, explaining that I was checking for several people and if they were only checking for themselves they could go first.

But my luck, I'd let someone ahead of me and they'd be checkoing the list for the entire class. :glare:

Guest inoubliable

Meh. You don't know who she was texting. Could have been several people who were unable to make it in and check for themselves. Besides. You were able to see the list without her having to move. 

Guest inoubliable

Get right up in their personal space and loudly say EXCUSE ME....but smiling while I say it....is hiow I handle that. I just did it as costco the other day. I probably look like a crazy person, but its the lesser of two evils. It makes me really mad. And id rather be known as that smiling, space invading stranger, than that glaring, teeth-baring stranger. And maaaaaybe they'll realize what they are doing, and that its pretty rude.

I'm pretty big, tall and muscle-y though. I've talked about this with shorter, more petite friends and they say they couldn't pull it off. I believe them because I notice that this phenomenon almost never happens to DH, who is bigger, taller and more muscle-y than me. And if it does, its usually people.bigger than him doing it.

We are basically apes when we are out in the wilds among strangers. So you eiter have to make more noise or puff yourself up real big to get the other apes out of your way.

:huh: I'd think you were a complete nutter if I witnessed that or you did that to me. 

I wonder how many people she was conveying their relevant info to? If she was texting, say, 3 other families about their children's placement, then I think she deserved a "turn" that reflects that role.

Otherwise (If the texts are actually irrelevant) I would have tapped her and been more specific about my "excuse me" -- like, "I'm sorry. Would you mind just stepping aside as you finish up? I need to get a look at the list, thanks."

If she could spend that much time texting, she could have just taken a quick photo of each class list and moved out of the way.  Then she could have commenced with her texting.  It is rude to blocking people's way unnecessarily.  I would have signed very loudly after the first "Excuse me." 

Guest inoubliable

But then you'd move out of the way, right? So... mission accomplished.

No. Not if I was in the middle of something. 

If you were stopped and blocking other people from getting by while you were fiddling with hour phone, and someone stood close to you, smiled, and said "excuse me" in a firm voice? You'd think they were nuts?

K. That's cool.

You said you'd say it loudly and in the person's personal space. So yeah. I'd think you were nuts. 

But then you'd move out of the way, right? So... mission accomplished.

If that's the only reason for a social behavior, to get people to move out of your way, why not just knock them down or shoot them or something? The mission would be accomplished.

Seriously. The end does not justify the means. Two wrongs don't make a right. Someone else's bad behavior is no reason or excuse for you to behave badly, as well...

gee whiz. "Every man for himself," there's yet another maxim, but it doesn't get us to nice places as a society.

Meh. You don't know who she was texting. Could have been several people who were unable to make it in and check for themselves. Besides. You were able to see the list without her having to move. 

It would have been a lot faster if she'd had a list ready to fill in on a sheet of paper and then sat down to text people.

So, her list would be:

Jane....

Ashley...

James...

Ect....

Then, when she approaches the list she just writes down the teacher names on her chart. Then, she can sit down and start texting. There is no reason to send a text to each family one at time while hogging space in front of the window where this information is posted.

Guest inoubliable

It would have been a lot faster if she'd had a list ready to fill in on a sheet of paper and then sat down to text people.

So, her list would be:

Jane....

Ashley...

James...

Ect....

Then, when she approaches the list she just writes down the teacher names on her chart. Then, she can sit down and start texting. There is no reason to send a text to each family one at time while hogging space in front of the window where this information is posted.

*shrug* Life is too short for this sort of nonsense to bother me. 

I agree that the woman was rude, but it's not worth getting upset over. "Excuse me," doesn't usually warrant a reply, nor does it indicate that she was in the way. Politely asking, "Are you finished looking at the list? Can I squeeze in and take a look?" likely would have been more effective.

Desperately need to see the list privately and urgently? Hurry up and go first or say sorry, barge in and look.

Not desperate? Take a short walk, take some restorative breaths, listen to the breeze in the trees...basically wait patiently.

Deciding someone is rude implies being offended. It's better for everyone if we all choose more often to not be offended.

Regarding the advice to get into someone's space while saying "excuse me"...

I can imagine someone starting a thread about the crazy person in Costco. I think that person would be declared rude and comments of " I wouldn't move" would ensue.

I usually ignore it unless I am driving.

I probably don't want to talk to them anyways so I don't care. I don't know why you were aggressive in Costco but I am a bit short and I would have had an impolite comment to someone trying to intimidate me.

Yesterday someone texting swerved into my lane and nearly ran into me and my children. I gave them a finger.

I disagree.  People who took the time to actually go there should take precedence over people who weren't there to wait in line and check for themselves,

This made me laugh and reminded me of the soup nazi.

No favors for you!

Every parent of every kid must show up at this place, make the line longer, the streets more congested, and offer more opportunity for folks to call CPS because they saw a 12 year old waiting in the car with the sleeping baby and wriggly toddler while mom runs in to check list, where an ever bigger crowd now grows.

I disagree. People who took the time to actually go there should take precedence over people who weren't there to wait in line and check for themselves,

Meh, to you as well.  It really doesn't matter WHO she was texting.  What she did was rude.  

Edited by Moderator
Removed the gratuitous personal insult. Behave.

This made me laugh and reminded me of the soup nazi.

No favors for you!

Every parent of every kid must show up at this place, make the line longer, the streets more congested, and offer more opportunity for folks to call CPS because they saw a 12 year old waiting in the car with the sleeping baby and wriggly toddler while mom runs in to check list, where an ever bigger crowd now grows.

You are putting words in my mouth.  If you can't show up in person, at least let those who did bother to drive there do their business before you hold them all up with your friend checking for you and half the class.

It's like when I go to the customer service desk at a store and wait 1/2 hour while the staff takes phone calls from people who aren't standing there waiting.  Rude.  IMO, if you aren't there in person you should be at the back of the line.

Guest inoubliable

Why is it so difficult for people to understand the concept of "excuse me" these days?

?? I never said it was? Did you mean to start a new thread, or PM me?

I usually take a picture of these lists with my phone so we can digest later and text to whoever needs a copy. That person was rude.

I agree.

I take pictures of any notices or schedules that I will need later (mostly at ballet). That way I can keep looking back at it and I know I didn't just copy down the wrong dates/times, I'm a little paranoid about missing things.

Guest inoubliable

I agree.

I take pictures of any notices or schedules that I will need later (mostly at ballet). That way I can keep looking back at it and I know I didn't just copy down the wrong dates/times, I'm a little paranoid about missing things.

Not everyone has a phone with a great camera. I have a fairly nice, although older model, smartphone. Any pics I take will show up okay, readable. My husband's phone? Not so much. It's a much older flip phone. He can take a pic, but the screen is very small, and it's not easily readable. His phone can make a call, text, and take a grainy pic. That's about it. 

Just something to think about.

Not everyone has a phone with a great camera. I have a fairly nice, although older model, smartphone. Any pics I take will show up okay, readable. My husband's phone? Not so much. It's a much older flip phone. He can take a pic, but the screen is very small, and it's not easily readable. His phone can make a call, text, and take a grainy pic. That's about it.

Just something to think about.

I wasn't really commenting on the OP, I was just sharing that I like to take a picture so I have a record of the information.

It just occurred to me that I'm probably the rudest person ever. I have an app on my phone that holds all my shopping lists. It syncs with my husband's phone as well. So he does the middle aisles while I get produce and cold stuff. But, my phone is constantly in my hand with one eye on it, and I cross out every item. 

Guest inoubliable

I wasn't really commenting on the OP, I was just sharing that I like to take a picture so I have a record of the information.

Understood. :)

That lady should have taken a picture of the list and got out of line LOL Hello! haha

Not that anyone would ever comment, 'Is it just me, or are people just too lazy to use pencil and paper these days?"

And then a bunch of links about how using technology is making us dumb(er).

*shrug* Life is too short for this sort of nonsense to bother me. 

But, for me, that's exactly the problem: Life is too short to waste it stuck behind a person who is behaving rudely. 

What was the rush for this list? I would have checked FB while I waited. ;) then y people could talk about the rude woman in line online instead of interacting with crazy people.

How nice that you have the luxury of having the time to do that. What if I am on my way to work and just have time to scoot by and check the list for my child who is anxiously waiting to hear the news? What if I have seven errands to run after this one and am already tired from cleaning up my house for the company due to arrive in 90 minutes? What if I don't have a phone that allows me to check Facebook and didn't bring a book or anything with which to amuse myself because I had no legitimate reason to think I would be stuck waiting behind someone taking an unusually long time to do what should be a simple, quick task?

The point is you don't get to decide why I might be in a hurry.

For what it's worth, I would have escalated my "excuse me" attempts, politely at first, perhaps tapping the person on the shoulder and smilingly asking if she would be done soon. While I wouldn't have tried the get-up-in-her-face thing, but I would definitely have gotten as far as testy if she continued to ignore my polite attempts to communicate.

Maybe they should just attach it to an email. (I can't believe driving to the school to read a posted print out is the norm anywhere right now.)

On the other hand, our kids just gather on the first day of school and get told their teacher/classroom that day. Then they go to class. Parents just ask the kids when they get home.

Ha, I wasn't commenting on laziness. Speediness. It takes longer to type a text message or write on a pad of paper than it is to hit the camera button. You can type of the text or rewrite the list onto paper later. That's all. But that is an interesting point you make.

Next year maybe they should hit "print" twice and just post two papers a few feet apart!

Well. That's an entirely new vent. "How do you handle rude cellphone photographers?" What if the first pic is blurry? What if there are other parents blocking the best view? The flash is on/off?

I'd guess that if she's the type who is oblivious to a line forming behind her while she is texting, she is probably the type who wouldn't mind if you gently put a hand on her arm and said, "Excuse me, do you mind of I take a quick peek?" and then proceeded to do so.

Guest inoubliable

I'd guess that if she's the type who is oblivious to a line forming behind her while she is texting, she is probably the type who wouldn't mind if you gently put a hand on her arm and said, "Excuse me, do you mind of I take a quick peek?" and then proceeded to do so.

This is reasonable.