Menu

Writing Tales vs Galore Park's Junior English

Chloe

Anyone familiar with both? From what I can tell, GP English has more grammar, but does include a good bit of writing as well. WT is mostly writing with some grammar thrown in here and there. Is that accurate? What are other differences?

Thanks so much!

BTW - This is for a 3rd and 4th grader who have been doing Easy Grammar so far and very little writing (mostly copywork and freewrites).

Well when are you going to start this? If they've done quite a bit of grammar, you could put them both into WT2 and be done with it. We're already in February, so basically they'd be using it as 4th and 5th graders. I'd definitely put a 5th grader in WT2. The 4th grader could go either way but would probably be fine in WT2 also. I'm teaching a co-op class with WT2 and the 4th and 5th grade siblings I have are doing great. Even my dd (3rd) is doing fine. The grammar will be beefier, which it sounds like will address your concern. I added daily editing first semester using Take 5 Minutes Daily History Editing, though any product would do. 2nd semester I have them doing a punctuation study using some punctuation puzzlers books and I added in Shurley Grammar for my dd. In your case you could do a bit of Easy Grammar. You really don't need a lot of grammar on top of WT 2, but I think a touch is nice, just to do things in a more systematic way.

Yes, I'd look at WT2. That way you can go into CW Homer the following year (5th and 6th) and be right on track, if you're interested in the progymnasta approach that is. GP is more in a creative writing direction, isn't it? If you want to do that, that's fine. It's not like WT 2 is going to be so much writing as to knock out doing anything else. I have my dd also doing VP lit guides, history worksheets, etc. We've done some creative writing using these SAT Busters books Laura in China recommended. If you want some creative writing to round out your time, they'd be nice. So I guess think about what you're wanting. If you like Easy Grammar, you could continue that in some fashion and do WT2, no problem. With your younger, you're just going to watch it and let her shorten the models on the really long ones if she starts to get worn out. I've only had to do that once or twice, and that was mainly first semester. I think they'll both be fine in WT2.

Thanks Elizabeth! I was actually all set to order WT before I got a look at Galore Park's materials. My plan was to do WT1 with my 3rd grader (along with some EG) now. I'm not sure about my 4th grader because she just started an IEW class this week (1 hr a week class, plus 1 hour total of homework a week). It's for 8 weeks and then there's a follow-up class that runs the next 8 weeks. I was going to wait and see how this first class goes before signing her up for the next one. Would having her go through WT be too much or confusing. Writing is a big weakness for me, and to be honest, I'm not really sure what the differences are in how the two programs teach it. I was thinking of using WT2 with her next year anyway, but wasn't sure if we should start WT1 now, or just let the IEW class handle most of the writing instruction until the fall. We'd still do copywork, dictation and history narrations. Any advice?

Thanks again for your help!

I would get one of the Imitations in writing series by IEW to use with your 3rd grader. It will be just right and complement what your older is doing in her IEW class. Then you can decide what you want to do with both of them for next year. The Imitations books are very take it or leave it, where you could do some then put it aside, where WT is a sequential, year-long book, something you'd feel guilty about starting and not finishing. Doing Imitations will build exactly the skills she needs to go into WT2, and I think you'd have no problem doing the two of them together in WT2 next year. If you decide to have them both go into IEW next year, then doing Imitations leads nicely into that as well. The Imitations series comes in a variety of topics, everything from fairy tales to fables to history time periods, so you're bound to find something she'll enjoy.

As for your older, if she's doing the IEW writing plus other copywork/dictation and narrations, that sounds like plenty to me. You just need a dab of something to do with your 3rd grader till you decide what you want to do with both of them together next year. If you start WT1 with your 3rd grader now, which would be fine, you'd end up doing both at once (WT1 and WT2) next year or tossing half the WT1 book. That's why I suggested doing Imitations with the 3rd grader to fill that gap.