Menu

What's with the ads?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hoggirl

How are everyone's "dorm piles" coming along?

(And don't hold your breath on the room getting cleaned out...)

Yep.  Both my boys left their rooms in utter disarray the first time the left for college, and the 2nd and 3rd times.  And they of course bring back all sorts of stuff each year that doesn't necessarily go back to school with them. Or in the case of the oldest, hasn't moved into his apartment yet now that he has graduated and is on his own.  

I got them to finally clean out some of their old toys over summer break, but most of the cleaning, sorting and organizing has been my job.  

Like Creekland -- the painting and reflooring is about to commence!!  I am finally getting a room to call my own, too, where my sewing machine can stay out and ready for any and every creative impulse!! 

Anyway,  :grouphug:  to all of you who are launching college kids this month!  

Ds1 and dh left yesterday. I am surprisingly weepy today. I read The Children's Hour with dd2 and could barely get through it. My plan is to be really busy for a while. I have to clean out the basement (ds1's lair) and go through piles of books, re-do a schoolroom, and get everyone started with school.

After Labor Day, the sports schedules start in earnest and then, we are really busy!

Two weeks ago, I got the big furniture pile off the back porch and moved into our friend's apartment, and DH's pile went and came back for his trip, and all of that is put away. Down to just the dorm pile. During the last two weeks, I went through each DS's room with him and we did a massive de-junking and cleaning. Still lots of things in their rooms, but nothing on the floors (lol), and we all feel freer to move forward into the new semester.

Today we double check that we have everything needed in the dorm pile. Tomorrow morning, it's off to college and the big drop-off!

I have not gotten weepy yet, but I'm pretty sure I'll be crying the whole way home tomorrow afternoon.  :crying:

Ds1 and dh left yesterday. I am surprisingly weepy today. I read The Children's Hour with dd2 and could barely get through it. My plan is to be really busy for a while. I have to clean out the basement (ds1's lair) and go through piles of books, re-do a schoolroom, and get everyone started with school.

After Labor Day, the sports schedules start in earnest and then, we are really busy!

Saw pictures posted from move-in day on the FB page!! Maybe you will spot your ds and dh!!

N.B. Mystery Jen's ds is attending my alma mater!

Thrift store shopping today. DD's room will have a kitchenette! So, we could dig around in a giant tub full of mismatched silverware to find matching sets. Scored a few glasses, a small pan, a mixing bowl, and a few nice Italian plates (sure, I could buy new plates for the same amount at the dollar store, but that would be made-in-China stuff with quite possibly lead in the glaze.. that's why I was happy to find European plates... does that make me weird?)

I will be thrilled to reduce the number of mugs that seem to procreate in our kitchen cupboard.

I did the same as far as the lead in the glaze concerns...no Euro plates here, but plenty of Mikasa's mid-range pieces.  Oddly bowls, pots/pans, silverware are never available at the local thift stores...I'll have to stop at one on the way to ds's apt. I was going to donate mugs from home too, but couldn't resist the mugs that matched the plates we found. He should be able to resell easily when he moves out....the thrift shop had the individual walmart dishes priced higher than the mikasa stoneware or china so good bargain.

… I have not gotten weepy yet, but I'm pretty sure I'll be crying the whole way home tomorrow afternoon.  :crying:

Yep. All the way home.  :crying:  And DS was pretty choked up when we left.

But the move in was super smooth, and it looks like he has a terrific roomie. We just missed meeting the 2 suite-mates, who room together on the other side of the common room. The roomie's family lives just 30 minutes away, and we meet the parents, and they are super nice; we traded phone numbers and emails, and they were very reassuring that they would be there for all 4 of the guys if anything happened.

It's going to be a fantastic experience for DS, and it's totally where he needs to be. It's just that it hurts to have part of your heart leave home.   :crying:

It's going to be a fantastic experience for DS, and it's totally where he needs to be. It's just that it hurts to have part of your heart leave home.   :crying:

I feel exactly the same way.  :grouphug:

One dorm pile has left, giving us some breathing room ... and the house feels so empty, despite having another who leaves in 3 weeks.  I found myself tearing up as I said goodbye, even though he is a junior and we have said many goodbyes before today.  I was rushing around quite a bit today that I didn't get a chance to take a picture of him, nor of dd who had her very first day of brick&mortar school today ... her first day of part-time high school. 

I feel the same way. I feel a little lost with dd across country. It feels weird that she lives in a different time zone.

I'm having a bit of a struggle adjusting...Nothing horrible, just a little harder than I thought it would be.

Our dorm pile (really a mountain  :001_smile: ) left yesterday along with ds. He's only 45 mins away so we'll see him throughout the year. He was really ready to get back to the business of school (2nd year). He loves living on campus and did quite well last year. 

He did a pretty good job of leaving his room clean. Just bedding piled on the floor. It could stand a good vacuuming!

House seems quiet without him here but I really think we were all ready to get back to the regular schedules of the school year. Dh is a teacher so he just went back to work as well. I and my 2  homebodies are settling in for the fall.

Ds is getting serious about his piles/boxes today. Good thing since he is leaving after lunch tomorrow :D. His "box of misc. stuff" includes his ocarina collection, Japanese flash cards and novels, two shells he found on the beach in FL 2 summers ago, and his Calvin & Hobbes and LoTR/Hobbit sets.

… His "box of misc. stuff" includes his ocarina collection, Japanese flash cards and novels, two shells he found on the beach in FL 2 summers ago, and his Calvin & Hobbes and LoTR/Hobbit sets.

Only the bare essentials, I see. ;)

His "box of misc. stuff" includes his ocarina collection, Japanese flash cards and novels, two shells he found on the beach in FL 2 summers ago, and his Calvin & Hobbes and LoTR/Hobbit sets.

Love this!

Mine wanted so much to take his complete Calvin and Hobbes, but there is only so much that can go when you fly cross country to school.  He did find room for his HP Lovecraft collection and a few D&D books, and a couple little creatures I've crocheted for him over the years.  

My ds#3  informed us that he is coming home this weekend because he wants to take his electric guitar back to school.  I truly feel for his roomie :tongue_smilie: .  I encouraged him to leave it here when he left last week and he agreed.  Obviously I didn't recognize the attachment.  We'll see how that works out :laugh:

Amazingly enough, everything from the dorm pile actually fit in the dorm room. She's all moved in. Convocation was this morning. Now to figure out a new normal.

Wow! I can FINALLY say the pile is packed and my dh and ds hit the road at 4:00 a.m.! They are seeing the Grand Canyon and driving up part of the PCH on the way out. I'll fly out Monday to meet dh and ds for move-in day on Tuesday. Will drive back with dh taking a detour to Vegas!

Wow! I can FINALLY say the pile is packed and my dh and ds hit the road at 4:00 a.m.! They are seeing the Grand Canyon and driving up part of the PCH on the way out. I'll fly out Monday to meet dh and ds for move-in day on Tuesday. Will drive back with dh taking a detour to Vegas!

I hope you all have a nice trip - and welcome to our group - we've been waiting for you... (and a couple others with quarter systems)!

Dorm pile has towels, sheets, duvet and pillows, plus starter shampoo, soap and washing powder.  Calvin will put together stationery (just a few bits and pieces).  I need to buy him a corkscrew/bottle opener and a surge protector.  His laptop should be arriving today.  He has a new bass guitar and is looking around for good deals in second-hand amps.  That plus a few books and a suitcase full of clothes, and he's ready to go.

L