Menu

How are everyone's "dorm piles" coming along?

Hoggirl

We made DS an authorized user on one of our credit card accounts.  Our credit union person assured us that will build his credit score just as if it was a card in his name only.  She said she's seen plenty of young people with credit scores well into the 700 range who've had no credit other than being an authorized user on a parent's account. 

That is what we are doing as well.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dd and I are leaving this Friday to take her to school. All the way across the country... :crying:  I'm trying to be brave but I'm dying inside. I can't believe I won't see her until Christmas.

She and I are flying but one of her roommates lives local to us and is driving so we are sending a few things with her.

She was recently informed she will be in a quad whereas she was originally in a triple. She had asked for a double. ;)

The things we have so far:

Sheets and comforter set (Twin XL)

Towels

an organizer for over the end of her bed

an organizer for over her chair

a collapsible hamper

a laundry bag

a small desk lamp

a clip on lamp

a thumb drive

her french press and electric kettle (roommate is bringing a mini Keurig)

some notebooks

We will be shopping at Target and BB&B when we get there for toiletries, first aid, mattress topper, etc.

She and one of her roommates are going in together to get a small storage unit.

A quad is going to be tough! There are two small closets and two dressers for 4 girls. They have to wear business attire to class so they each need double the clothes and business stuff usually needs to be hung up. It will be interesting to see how they manage the storage situation!

Well, one of our dorm piles (the larger one) is now successfully in the target dorm.  Wally World and the local economy should be appropriately thankful that students are moving in as we spent an additional $250 to buy stuff we waited to buy until we got here and we saw oodles of others students/parents in the store with us - some with bills that will total far more than ours.  I'm thankful I have a more minimalist guy!

There's a President's breakfast today and a course (we'll likely skip) on long distance parenting (BTDT).  Then there's the waterfront open house hubby will attend.

I'll admit to being bummed about growing older and nostalgic for our family days that are coming to an end since we were all super close, but I'm more convinced than ever that Eckerd is the right place for him and he will do well.  (He even has a possibility to get into a coastal wetlands restoration research project... a HUGE opportunity for an incoming freshman.  If he gets that, he'll be on Cloud 9... an absolutely perfect fit!)

I remain in prayers for a smooth transition for the lad - and the rest of us.

Send off for middle son is next week... then our new life is truly here.

Best wishes to all who are making this journey.

School supplies???  Who needs them!  The boy just bought himself a boat!  Sigh...I'll just have to do it myself for the youngest.  He really doesn't care about it AT ALL.  DS3 went with shopping with me Monday and I think we have all his stuff.

So ds4 is getting the rig set up to take to the lake this morning...fishing rods, holders, and food of course.  I guess he should have this last week on the lake before heading off to school :)

We made DS an authorized user on one of our credit card accounts.  Our credit union person assured us that will build his credit score just as if it was a card in his name only.  She said she's seen plenty of young people with credit scores well into the 700 range who've had no credit other than being an authorized user on a parent's account.  We would have preferred getting him an account of his own, but they offered no option for that.

We did this as soon as he started driving. I was scared he would be somewhere, need to buy gas and not have any cash. It has worked well. He did lose it once, but we got new cards the next day.

Almost done! We spent way too much time at BB&B over the weekend looking for bedding and other supplies. Today I bought supplies for medicine, toiletry, and cleaning bins. Class texts and supplies are ready. Now ds has to start packing clothes into boxes. And get his bass and piano music library together.

School supplies???  Who needs them!  The boy just bought himself a boat!

I'll need to tell my ds2 that he isn't alone! In September of his freshman year he bought a 28' sailboat!

This summer we have an inverse dorm pile. We had thought that dd2 would be going to college about 8 hours away, so we accumulated a pile of stuff for her. In late June she changed her plans; she will now attend a local college and live at home, so I am now looking at the dorm pile and trying to figure out if I should give the stuff away or merely put it in the attic, where it can join other random dorm oobleck leftovers from her older siblings!  :scared: 

Since she will be living at home, we did a serious cleaning of her room, bought a cute desk, and completely redecorated the walls. That was fun!

We found out yesterday that DS's dorm doesn't provide desk chairs.  The desk -- yes.  Chairs -- no.  His roommate, who moved in early, was apparently as surprised about that as we were when he texted DS and told him.  What good is a desk w/o a chair?  And why wasn't a desk chair on their list of things to bring?  Oh well.  We'll hit the stores this morning.  Thankfully we should have plenty of room in the cars.

Tomorrow is DS's move-in day.  I think we're all simultaneously dreading it and looking forward to it. ;)

We found out yesterday that DS's dorm doesn't provide desk chairs.  The desk -- yes.  Chairs -- no.  His roommate, who moved in early, was apparently as surprised about that as we were when he texted DS and told him.  What good is a desk w/o a chair?  And why wasn't a desk chair on their list of things to bring?  Oh well.  We'll hit the stores this morning.  Thankfully we should have plenty of room in the cars.

Tomorrow is DS's move-in day.  I think we're all simultaneously dreading it and looking forward to it. ;)

Ok, this is a new one I hadn't heard before.  I would have expected a chair.  I always send ours with a portable sports/camping chair so they can take it out to events or over to a friend's room if they want, but they've had desk chairs there.

I hope move in goes well - and chair shopping!

And toilet paper - my son just told me that the dorm does not provide toilet paper for the dorms that consist of only triple rooms that have their own bathrooms - and that they are not cleaned by the janitorial staff either!   Oh my! 

\

Myra

And toilet paper - my son just told me that the dorm does not provide toilet paper for the dorms that consist of only triple rooms that have their own bathrooms - and that they are not cleaned by the janitorial staff either!   Oh my! 

I remember having to clean our shared bathroom when I attended college.  This was a bathroom shared by two rooms each having two students.  I can't recall if toilet paper was provided.

Think of it as character building.  (Better that than a science experiment!)

Regards,

Kareni

Wednesday is move-in day for my son. We're having his combination graduation/send-off party this weekend, which is nice in that it keeps me too busy to actually focus on the fact that Wednesday is almost here. 

I did stand in Publix fighting off a few tears this morning, though, when faced with the having to decide how large a container of ketchup to buy. My son is the only big ketchup eater in the house, and I was trying to calculate how much he was likely to go through between now and Tuesday night. It was not a happy moment.

Stuff is moving out the door and being loaded into cars.  I wasn't going to meltdown, but I alreay have.    Streams flowing right now. I am sure going to miss this young man.   He is such a source of joy in our life.

:grouphug: :grouphug:

We just got back from dropping DS off.  It went pretty well.  Crowded but well organized.  He had a problem with his laptop so we had to go to the IT service center and they got it fixed up in half an hour or so.  We got to meet DS's roommate and one of his suite mates, both of whom seemed like nice young men.  And when we left they were making plans for dinner.  So . .  it's good. :)

(They're the only boys on a hall full of girls.  They don't seem to mind ;))

The piles have exited the house!  Well, there are a few stray t-shirts, socks, books, etc. here and there, but the majority has been moved into various dorm rooms.  What a week it has been.  I haven't had a "regular" night of sleep for 3 nights.  It started Tuesday night when the boys decided to have a Starcraft (computer game) marathon because "we won't get to do it again for a whole semester".  That lasted until 2 am.  Then Wednesday night DS4 really "NEEDED" to have one last bowfishing trip.  That means he is out until after midnight because that's when the fish are most available (if fish are considered available).  So since he has only been out in this new boat one other time - in the daylight - and since a lady at the lake had to help them load the boat back onto the trailer (yes, that was humbling for 3 hunky young men), it only made sense for mom to go along (dad was working an overnight shift).  We went into some really quiet back coves.  All I could think about was that it was an excellent place for a drug deal to take place and here we were running right up into it!  But thankfully all was quiet.  DS3 and DS4 were expert fishermen and boaters.  DS2 on the other hand took a turn at the trolling motor - we did a few circles and bumped a few rocks so his brothers took it back from him.  So Wednesday night bedtime was actually 2 am on Thursday morning.  Thursday morning we were up and out early taking DS 3 to school.  Last night DS4 could not stay on task.  He simply needed to finish packing clothing.  His phone was distracting him...I had to take it away.  Really, I had to confiscate my 18 yos phone!  All his friends were texting him their last goodbyes...a few Snapchats to which he *had* to reply...I think we were finally in bed by midnight only to be up again by 6 and loading the car for another trip.

I'm exhausted.  I'm really not having a hard time with this at all!  I'm really not missing them yet lol.  I have great plans for next week:  all the rugs will be rolled up and taken to the carpet cleaning place, and I'll have my sofas steam cleaned (seriously, I can smell "boy" when I sit on them).  They'll all be back for Labor Day and by then my house will be clean and I'll feel like indulging them :)

Running after toddlers seems like a piece of cake compared to what I've done this week.  I"m hitting the bed tonight before it gets dark :).

The Organizing of Piles begins in earnest today. We have looked online (dorm brochure and youtube "dorm room tour" videos posted by students) to check on the likely closet, desk/bookshelf, and dresser situation, and to double check that a desk chair will be provided.

(Ds will only be an hour away, but I'm having to suppress acting as though he is leaving the country!)

Ds is fine with having all of us come to help him move in. I'm grateful for that, especially for the younger ones and ds9 who is losing his lifelong "roommate".

Thrift store shopping today. DD's room will have a kitchenette! So, we could dig around in a giant tub full of mismatched silverware to find matching sets. Scored a few glasses, a small pan, a mixing bowl, and a few nice Italian plates (sure, I could buy new plates for the same amount at the dollar store, but that would be made-in-China stuff with quite possibly lead in the glaze.. that's why I was happy to find European plates... does that make me weird?)

I will be thrilled to reduce the number of mugs that seem to procreate in our kitchen cupboard.

I bought a printer for DS18 to take with him to school for $45 new in the box.  It was the last one on the shelf and marked down since it was an older model.  It came bundled with an extra black ink cartridge AND a 500 sheet package of paper.  SCORE!

That's the last of the need-to-have items on DS18's list.  He thinks a mini-fridge would be "nice to have", but hasn't decided if he wants to spend his own money for it yet.  Since he is actually getting driven to school, he can take "stuff" with him.  His sister only got one suitcase to take with her since she was flying on her own with two music instruments.  Oldest DS just took a backpack when he went since uniforms and everything was provided.    It's very strange to have a real "pile" to think about packing!

Middle son lucked out.  His RA dorm room is the size they use for a triple, but it's just him in it.  He has two beds, two desks/chairs, two dressers, two closets, etc.  We left him last night happily arranging his nest after eating at Sticky Lips BBQ (his request).

So now it's just our drive home and our new normal.  School here starts on Wed (with a pep rally/field day :glare: )!  I start Friday (since I sub rather than working full time).

A deep house cleaning will also be scheduled over the next two months (little bits at a time).  There will be four piles:  keep as is, box and keep for boys, donate to charity, toss.  We have a couple of bookshelves, a game shelf, cabinets, and closets that will be our main focus.  Then we plan to paint and change the old flooring.  Visitors won't recognize the place when we're done.

It will seem REALLY weird having things stay clean after we've cleaned!

Best wishes to all in the "Ugh, is this seriously happening???  How did I get so old??? And where's my little guy/gal???" stage.  :grouphug:

The pile has been transferred to the dorm.  I miss him very much. I made way too much dinner tonight. 

:grouphug: :grouphug:

I'm working on my grocery list and realizing how much less I'm going to need to buy.  Definitely a mixed blessing.

A deep house cleaning will also be scheduled over the next two months (little bits at a time).  There will be four piles:  keep as is, box and keep for boys, donate to charity, toss.  We have a couple of bookshelves, a game shelf, cabinets, and closets that will be our main focus.  Then we plan to paint and change the old flooring.  Visitors won't recognize the place when we're done.

Yep.  I'm planning some heavy-duty cleaning and painting and reorganizing.  It definitely needs it.  But I'm pretty sure I'm using it as a coping mechanism.  At least it's productive. ;)

I've been on ds to clean out his room, but it hasn't happened thus far. Many of his classmates started doing their move-ins this weekend and that continues in earnest through Tuesday (well, one last buddy goes Thursday). I am ready for them all to be gone!! So many good-byes, going-away gatherings, etc. They seem to all have to be together all. the. time. Maybe he will clean out the room once they have all launched. If he doesn't, I have told him I am going in after he leaves and throwing out whatever I deem appropriate! It's going to look like a hotel room when I get finished with it!

I've been on ds to clean out his room, but it hasn't happened thus far. Many of his classmates started doing their move-ins this weekend and that continues in earnest through Tuesday (well, one last buddy goes Thursday). I am ready for them all to be gone!! So many good-byes, going-away gatherings, etc. They seem to all have to be together all. the. time. Maybe he will clean out the room once they have all launched. If he doesn't, I have told him I am going in after he leaves and throwing out whatever I deem appropriate! It's going to look like a hotel room when I get finished with it!

Yes! And it wasn't any better the second year! 

(And don't hold your breath on the room getting cleaned out...)

I am trying to avoid looking at the dorm pile today. We had my son's graduation/going away party yesterday, and he moves into the dorm on Wednesday. I woke up this morning thinking we should spend some time today making sure the pile is organized and appropriately packed so that we can transfer it to the car Tuesday evening, but I don't actually want to deal with it, since the whole thing feels really, really real all of a sudden.

"Fortunately," my son slept late and then ran out the door to see a movie with a friend. By the time he gets home, it will be dinner time. And he still needs to empty all of the board games and remaining party debris out of his dad's car, which I am certain means it will be too late in the day to deal with dorm packing, right?

The same thing happened here.  So many friends, so many "last" events, etc.  My boys' rooms are embarrassing to me.  I mentioned to DS2 that I was going to go through various closets and cabinets once they were all gone and he told me that he would love to have me go through his room and toss stuff away!  He said that he always gets sidetracked doing it and cannot decide what to keep and toss and he would be completely fine with someone doing it for him.  He just wants to come back to a streamlined, organized room :)  That makes my job so much easier lol.  I think the other boys are just a little nervous about what I might toss.

We finally did our first shopping today and we leave on Friday to drive ds up to his school! We bought a mini-fridge, Twin XL sheets, and a mattress protector. I don't think I want to buy too much other "stuff." I have a collapsible laundry hamper left over from the girls. Maybe I'll get something to carry his toiletries to the bathroom. I need to get extras of shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, etc. but I think we'll wait on any more accessories for the room until he gets up there. The only thing he really cares about is his computer equipment, which is all going with him: desktop, large flat-screen monitor, and probably both of his laptops.

I suppose I should look at the list someone posted and get serious about this dorm stuff. We also haven't done anything about books. I expect that we'll just procure all books from the college bookstore for first semester, but it would help if we ordered them tomorrow to be ready for pickup when we arrive.  

I was feeling rather nonchalant all summer about my "baby" leaving home. He's 19yo and ready to go, I've reasoned. But suddenly, I'm feeling like I'll be rather lonely without any of the kids at home. :sad: 

(And don't hold your breath on the room getting cleaned out...)

Yep.  Both my boys left their rooms in utter disarray the first time the left for college, and the 2nd and 3rd times.  And they of course bring back all sorts of stuff each year that doesn't necessarily go back to school with them. Or in the case of the oldest, hasn't moved into his apartment yet now that he has graduated and is on his own.  

I got them to finally clean out some of their old toys over summer break, but most of the cleaning, sorting and organizing has been my job.  

Like Creekland -- the painting and reflooring is about to commence!!  I am finally getting a room to call my own, too, where my sewing machine can stay out and ready for any and every creative impulse!! 

Anyway,  :grouphug:  to all of you who are launching college kids this month!  

Ds1 and dh left yesterday. I am surprisingly weepy today. I read The Children's Hour with dd2 and could barely get through it. My plan is to be really busy for a while. I have to clean out the basement (ds1's lair) and go through piles of books, re-do a schoolroom, and get everyone started with school.

After Labor Day, the sports schedules start in earnest and then, we are really busy!

Two weeks ago, I got the big furniture pile off the back porch and moved into our friend's apartment, and DH's pile went and came back for his trip, and all of that is put away. Down to just the dorm pile. During the last two weeks, I went through each DS's room with him and we did a massive de-junking and cleaning. Still lots of things in their rooms, but nothing on the floors (lol), and we all feel freer to move forward into the new semester.

Today we double check that we have everything needed in the dorm pile. Tomorrow morning, it's off to college and the big drop-off!

I have not gotten weepy yet, but I'm pretty sure I'll be crying the whole way home tomorrow afternoon.  :crying:

Ds1 and dh left yesterday. I am surprisingly weepy today. I read The Children's Hour with dd2 and could barely get through it. My plan is to be really busy for a while. I have to clean out the basement (ds1's lair) and go through piles of books, re-do a schoolroom, and get everyone started with school.

After Labor Day, the sports schedules start in earnest and then, we are really busy!

Saw pictures posted from move-in day on the FB page!! Maybe you will spot your ds and dh!!

N.B. Mystery Jen's ds is attending my alma mater!

Ă¢â‚¬Â¦ I have not gotten weepy yet, but I'm pretty sure I'll be crying the whole way home tomorrow afternoon.  :crying:

Yep. All the way home.  :crying:  And DS was pretty choked up when we left.

But the move in was super smooth, and it looks like he has a terrific roomie. We just missed meeting the 2 suite-mates, who room together on the other side of the common room. The roomie's family lives just 30 minutes away, and we meet the parents, and they are super nice; we traded phone numbers and emails, and they were very reassuring that they would be there for all 4 of the guys if anything happened.

It's going to be a fantastic experience for DS, and it's totally where he needs to be. It's just that it hurts to have part of your heart leave home.   :crying:

One dorm pile has left, giving us some breathing room ... and the house feels so empty, despite having another who leaves in 3 weeks.  I found myself tearing up as I said goodbye, even though he is a junior and we have said many goodbyes before today.  I was rushing around quite a bit today that I didn't get a chance to take a picture of him, nor of dd who had her very first day of brick&mortar school today ... her first day of part-time high school. 

It's going to be a fantastic experience for DS, and it's totally where he needs to be. It's just that it hurts to have part of your heart leave home.   :crying:

I feel the same way. I feel a little lost with dd across country. It feels weird that she lives in a different time zone.

I'm having a bit of a struggle adjusting...Nothing horrible, just a little harder than I thought it would be.

Our dorm pile (really a mountain  :001_smile: ) left yesterday along with ds. He's only 45 mins away so we'll see him throughout the year. He was really ready to get back to the business of school (2nd year). He loves living on campus and did quite well last year. 

He did a pretty good job of leaving his room clean. Just bedding piled on the floor. It could stand a good vacuuming!

House seems quiet without him here but I really think we were all ready to get back to the regular schedules of the school year. Dh is a teacher so he just went back to work as well. I and my 2  homebodies are settling in for the fall.

Ds is getting serious about his piles/boxes today. Good thing since he is leaving after lunch tomorrow :D. His "box of misc. stuff" includes his ocarina collection, Japanese flash cards and novels, two shells he found on the beach in FL 2 summers ago, and his Calvin & Hobbes and LoTR/Hobbit sets.