Menu

Misuse of quotation marks! UGH!!!

ChemMommy

I just edited a paper that had 52 quotation marks, only 4 of which were used correctly. 

If kittens die when apostrophes are used incorrectly, what dies when quotation marks are used incorrectly?

I'm not a terrible grammar nazi, but that paper was ANNOYING!!!  I removed all but 4 of them.

End of vent!

(But, I may save the paper as a "how not to write" example for my kids :laugh: LOL)

A blog for you: The "Blog" of "Unnecessary" Quotation Marks

http://www.unnecessaryquotes.com

Featuring the best unnecessary quote marks ever: http://www.unnecessaryquotes.com/2008/12/also-this.html

(Sorry I can't post the photo itself from my ipad.)

That's what I thought of too! Love that site.

Needed "something" to unnecessarily use quotation marks on "this post."

Erica in OR

My favorite: on Facebook when someone tagged a former co-worker of mine in a photo: "Here's Susie and her 'awesome' teacher!"

The thing is...she really isn't a great teacher, so it's both tragic and hilariously appropriate.  :leaving:

A blog for you: The "Blog" of "Unnecessary" Quotation Marks

http://www.unnecessaryquotes.com

Featuring the best unnecessary quote marks ever: http://www.unnecessaryquotes.com/2008/12/also-this.html

(Sorry I can't post the photo itself from my ipad.)

Perfect blog!  The entire three page paper could be submitted.  That's 48 wrong quotes in three pages, or 16 quotation mark errors per page.

My favorite: on Facebook when someone tagged a former co-worker of mine in a photo: "Here's Susie and her 'awesome' teacher!"

The thing is...she really isn't a great teacher, so it's both tragic and hilariously appropriate.  :leaving:

There's something life-affirming about unintentional but apt sneer quotes.

I once got a letter of reference that said I was a "valued" associate. That about summed it up.

There's something life-affirming about unintentional but apt sneer quotes.

I once got a letter of reference that said I was a "valued" associate. That about summed it up.

"We valued you most when you walked out the door."

:D

I love that blog! I took a photo on vacation that I want to submit. It was a restaurant sign offering "spaghetti" dishes and "baked classic" dishes. Is it not really spaghetti? Are they worms? How about the baked classics? Do they actually microwave them?

So, I just spent a delightful <ahem> "several" minutes guffawing through quotation mark misuses, tripped up the lane to "Awkward Family Photos", and from there meandered along the brook to Cake Wrecks. My, my, my, where has the time gone?

My mother-in-law is the queen of unnecessary quotation marks.  Her latest email talks about the "discussion" they had with the doctor and how they have to get "permission" from the insurance company before "proceeding" with the operation.  Taken literally, this makes no sense.  But I'm pretty sure she now uses them for emphasis.......or to indicate sarcasm.

Perhaps "both". :glare:

So, I just spent a delightful <ahem> "several" minutes guffawing through quotation mark misuses, tripped up the lane to "Awkward Family Photos", and from there meandered along the brook to Cake Wrecks. My, my, my, where has the time gone?

Ah, the trifecta.

Stay away from Buzzfeed and Reddit. You will never make it out.

My mother-in-law is the queen of unnecessary quotation marks.  Her latest email talks about the "discussion" they had with the doctor and how they have to get "permission" from the insurance company before "proceeding" with the operation.  Taken literally, this makes no sense.  But I'm pretty sure she now uses them for emphasis.......or to indicate sarcasm.

What? I just... What?

I have people in my life who use random commas right in the middle of a sentence, for no discernible reason. I just can't...I mean...why?

What? I just... What?

I have people in my life who use random commas right in the middle of a sentence, for no discernible reason. I just can't...I mean...why?

My favorite email is from a few months ago:

"I got to the hospital about 1:30 - the nurses were "unplugging" Dad, getting ready to move him to an I-room. Some of the grandkids arrived and were "horsing around". Things begin to get a little noisy, so I "kicked" them all out.  Chuck should get some better rest because they still need to check the pulse in the "eye" but only a few times a night; not "every" hour.  Dad is still very "grumpy" and just about "lost it" with one of the nurses tonight. He hates the "medication" he has to take and said that his legs don't "work right" when he stands up. I have to get in touch with the "rehab" place about getting him a "room" there in a few days...."

Seriously, I'm about to turn her emails into a drinking game.  Or should I call it.....a "drinking" game??

I'm getting the oddly placed quotation marks from elders, too. I think it's to emphasize words. Reminds me of when someone tries to converse with someone in another language by speaking his own language louder. Neither make sense but makes the user feel like they are.

My favorite was a handmade sign DH and I once saw in the neighborhood.  It had a dog's picture, some descriptive information, and a number to call.  At the top of the sign: "LOST" DOG.

DH and I decided we should read it as, "We know exactly where the dog is.  The kids think he's lost, so we had to make this sign.  Don't bother calling." 

I used to work for a marketing director who liked to call attention to various words with quotation marks. I constantly had to remind him that quotation marks implied just the opposite of what he intended when he wrote copy like:

We provide "quality" service at a "low" cost!

If your mother in law is the queen, my father in law is the king. He uses them liberally and inappropriately. Sometimes they're for "emphasis", sometimes they indicate "sarcasm", and sometimes they are there for "no apparent reason". It makes his lengthy emails (which usually lack paragraphs) difficult to read. 

They make me want to poke my eyes out, but what disturbs me even more, if that is possible, is the random capitalization of Important Words.  

My fellow Americans, if you can not point to a specific rule that directs one to capitalize a particular word, don't.  Just take your pinkie finger off of that shift key (not "Shift key") and move on.  If you can't help yourself, get a job writing headlines.

Funny to see our pet grammar peeves!

My mom writes notes with no subject. Like this:

Writing to tell you about the trip. Was a great experience. Ate lots and swam too. Going to see Aunt Martha tomorrow. Will call when I can. Get home on the 22nd.

Notice that the subject of each sentence is absent.  Now, add in decaying vision and slight dementia and poor spelling and you won't believe how confusing her notes are.  She recently posted on my 14 yo dd facebook page about how happy she was that my dd was going back to her old job. Ah, mom, she hasn't had a job yet. BUT...she doesn't use random quotes, so I'll keep her.

Butterflies. Unnecessary quotes kill butterflies. 

Chemmommy, you gave someone a painful but needed lesson. Thank you.

That's it:  butterflies or rather "butterflies" die when someone misuses a quotation mark.  LOL

Funny to see our pet grammar peeves!

Writing to tell you about the trip. Was a great experience. Ate lots and swam too. Going to see Aunt Martha tomorrow. Will call when I can. Get home on the 22nd.

Notice that the subject of each sentence is absent.  Now, add in decaying vision and slight dementia and poor spelling and you won't believe how confusing her notes are.  She recently posted on my 14 yo dd facebook page about how happy she was that my dd was going back to her old job. Ah, mom, she hasn't had a job yet. BUT...she doesn't use random quotes, so I'll keep her.

I write like that all the time. I have no idea why. :lol: Maybe because "e-mails" are so "modern" and "efficient" so I need to "save words" as with telegrams back in the "day".

They make me want to poke my eyes out, but what disturbs me even more, if that is possible, is the random capitalization of Important Words.  

My fellow Americans, if you can not point to a specific rule that directs one to capitalize a particular word, don't.  Just take your pinkie finger off of that shift key (not "Shift key") and move on.  If you can't help yourself, get a job writing headlines.

And then there are the small-biz press releases that make liberal use of quotation marks, random capitals, all caps, and multiple exclamation marks. Sorry, folks. Almost nothing is that exciting, including your product.

And then there are the small-biz press releases that make liberal use of quotation marks, random capitals, all caps, and multiple exclamation marks. Sorry, folks. Almost nothing is that exciting, including your product.

Back in the day, when we rented movies at Blockbuster and made our selections based on the blurb on the case, I refused to rent any movie with too many exclamation points in the description. One of the popular homeschool catalogs (CBD, maybe?) does the same thing in their product descriptions. Drives me batty.

...her.

Sounds like telegram era messaging.

Writing to tell you about the trip. Stop. Was a great experience. Stop. Ate lots and swam too. Stop. Going to see Aunt Martha tomorrow. Stop. Will call when I can. Stop. Get home on the 22nd. Stop.

Sounds like telegram era messaging.

It sounds much better now that I fixed it.  :lol:

True confession time:  I'm addicted to exclamation points.  I love them and use them (overuse them) all the time!!!

It's embarrassing, but I'm trying to show excitement and enthusiasm.  And they are correctly placed (not randomly placed in the middle of a sentence).

Hanging my head in shame,

Pam