Menu

How are the new boards changing your habits?

Are you on here more or less? Same board or different boards?

I'm personally finding that when I could dash in and dash out, I tended to stay with the K-8 general board. I rarely got around to the other boards. However, with the new format, I tend to click on "new posts" and thus regularly get to see things on the other boards, too!

The good news is that I know a better, well-rounded picture of what is going on. The bad news is that it takes more time.

I'm really glad they changed over on a weekend to give me time to get used to the boards before I have to teach school this coming week.

Well, for my ds in 12th grade, this semester he is taking Japanese 3, Italian 1 and Philosophy at the CC. From me I am teaching him British Lit. I started with LLLoTR but it was not a good fit for a senior, we finished it quickly. We did LL British Medieval also kind of light for us. So I am using a list from SL 300 and a Great Books list and finishing out British lit with what we think are important to read and he is writing a classical comparison paper via TOG Writing aids.

that is one of my two kids. see an explanation not a list

Wow. I'm. So. Impressed.

Really.

No wonder you don't have a neat list! I bet the only reason I have a neat list (at least in appearance) is because my children are so much younger. I bet they fit more neatly because they haven't developed specialties yet.

I mean, Japanese 3?

More power to you! It sounds to me like you are doing fantastic.

For my first grader,

Math - we are between programs.

History - studying Roman mythology and listening to SOTW on audio

Science - Starting human body study in two weeks - my own lesson plans.

Latin - just started Minimus

Reading - she reads well and freely, currently reading Shel Silverstein poetry books

Memory - VP history Cards and Linguistic Development through Poetry memorization

Handwriting - we're not good at this - she has great print and wants to learn cursive, but doesn't like anything we have tried yet

I read from the AO year 1 list to the girls every day and we take nature walks and trips to the library weekly.

That is my other one. See, no list.

Yep - my son Loves languages. He has taken 2 years of Spanish and a year of French already. He likes Japanese because it was the first hard language he ever studied. I was always worried about him before he found Japanese. I didn't think he would ever find anything that really interested or excited him.

The quick look and quick banter is not here anymore. I liked the old board for this forum, at least (i.e. this topic-driven method is more suited to the curriculum board). The print was bigger in the trees, you could title it one thing and have an ironic start on the inside, etc. Now this one looks like all the other boards out there, whereas the older one had the nimbleness of a kind of threaded chat room. For what this forum is for, it was just perfect, for me.

But, whose bread you eat, his song you sing

these things, too, shall pass

it was fun while we had it

and all the other little things my mother used to say in such situations.

The quick look and quick banter is not here anymore. I liked the old board for this forum, at least Now this one looks like all the other boards out there, whereas the older one had the nimbleness of a kind of threaded chat room. For what this forum is for, it was just perfect, for me.

This is just what I think, too. The fun conversations are harder to have, and I'm much less likely to read threads. The old board felt more like a real "conversation" going on in a room of friends. This format is good for just getting information, but it's much more "soulless" to me.

Michelle T

I think this set up makes people prone to starting "cliques" too. I know this is "better" and "easier" for lots of people, and I don't have a hard time using it, but the feel is totally different. Before it was like everyone was in one great hall and you could bounce from table to table to see what's going on. Now it's like everyone has gone to their small den, and you have to knock first, LOL.

So far I have been on here less, but not for lack of trying, LOL. Lots of times I access a few posts, but when I go to reply the server is too busy, and it stays busy for a while so I just give up....

This is just what I've experienced.......I'm here less only because of busy server. I don't mind the new boards I just miss the quickness with which I could quickly read the other boards.

Maybe I can actually get some things done now;)

The fun conversations are harder to have, and I'm much less likely to read threads. The old board felt more like a real "conversation" going on in a room of friends. This format is good for just getting information, but it's much more "soulless" to me.

This format isn't conducive to conversation, imo. I'm familiar with it because the only other two places I visit ~ Sonlight and a small community of friends ~ both use this format. It segregates people and conversations much more than did the "free-for-all" approach of the previous WTM board. I do find this layout is advantageous for buying and selling curriculum. Beyond that though, others have said that it will likely be better/faster once they get used to it...but to be honest, that hasn't been my experience at all. Since this format requires more time, it will help me to stay off the boards, but I'll admittedly miss being able to just pop in and in a few minutes hear how people are doing and/or get some useful info. Ah, well!

Today I'm on a lot more often than usual because for every thread I read, I then get a 'server is busy' signal and have to leave and return later. It's a slow day at home and I had hoped to use my time to become aquainted with the format here and check a few of the message threads. The busy server is putting a stop to that idea today, though I don't plan to change my habits and hover on the board all day during the week either.

I hope the server issues will be sorted soon.

Before it was like everyone was in one great hall and you could bounce from table to table to see what's going on. Now it's like everyone has gone to their small den, and you have to knock first, LOL.

I completely agree. I am only an occasional poster/reader, when my life allows it, and right now this is something I can see as needing a learning curve to figure out how to read all the conversations going on. It is easier to see really quick if this is a thread I want to follow, but on the old board you could make the topic go farther and broader with the back and forth banter.

Lori

What I miss is that on the old board the threads twisted in turned into new topics and you could easily scan the titles and see what was going on. Now you have no idea when new and different conversations are going on within a thread unless you read the whole thing.......time I just don't have.

The thread title is all important now. I guess I'll get use to it and I do like many of the new options (especially the edit feature since I never have time to proofread when posting and sometimes later on major mistakes leap out) I just miss being able to scroll down the page, clicking on specific titles and responses that appealed to me.

I just dont like it as much. I come less now, i will still use it for when i need a question answered, by there is no time for me to look at every post and chime in where i feel I can help others (this format takes way toooo long).

I agree with Michelle who said:

"The fun conversations are harder to have, and I'm much less likely to read threads. The old board felt more like a real "conversation" going on in a room of friends. This format is good for just getting information, but it's much more "soulless" to me."

But, though i am very sad about this, and i really miss the continuous chats, maybe its good to not feel so addicted (sigh.....).

So, trying here to see the bright side. But, i just dont like this format. It has changed my part in the board, feels less like a community.

I have long frequented other message boards with formats either similar to or exactly like this one. This isn't as big a change for me as it seems to be for some of you.

But I have to agree that the old board offered something special to this forum that can not be duplicated in this format. No doubt about it, something has been lost.

Well, it will definitely cut down my time here, lol. (Which might not be so bad.)

On this board, for me, anyway, there's no hopping on and off, quickly, and getting a glimpse of all that's going on.

There have been times (on the old board) when I've not been at all interested in the original post, but a reply waaaay down caught my eye, and ended up being something helpful or interesting. Probably won't happen, here, because there's simply no time to click on each. and. every. thread. (And I know that you can format the threads to read similarly to what they did on the old board, but not the whole shebang.)

I hate to say it, but...it seems like it will be hard to make 'new' acquaintances here. One of the reasons it was easy to get to 'know' folks on the old board was because you could 'see' their replies to a variety of issues, and easily converse back and forth. Doesn't seem that way, here.

But...you'll notice I'm here. :o) I just hope it can continue to be a good place to form acquaintances, and newer folks won't lose out on what the 'old timers' had, you know?

it's starting to grow on me. i find that clicking "New Posts" brings up all threads that are new or with new postings. Using the check mark next to the subject line then takes me to the first new post of a thread i've read previously. very handy.

'New Posts" lists all boards; i wish there was a way to select which boards to cull new threads from. on the plus side though, now i don't have to scan the HS and the General Board, and i see all posting to the Swap Board. The latter might land me a purchase i might have otherwise not know about.

I hate to say it, but...it seems like it will be hard to make 'new' acquaintances here.

Oooh, Oooh! I have a solution for you...

Enable comment at CribChick.com. You'll have loads of new friends, and we won't feel like we're intruding into your personal space by sending an unsolicited email.

:D

Well, I'm finding myself looking for things to post about so I can stop being a visitor! After 5 years on the board I don't consider myself a vistor. At least it doesn't call us newbies!

Melissa

LOL, just reply to this thread a few more times and you won't be a visitor any more. :D I have been "visiting" WTM boards since 13yod was 5. Wow. That's a long time. I don't mind the title "visitor".

I think this set up makes people prone to starting "cliques" too. I know this is "better" and "easier" for lots of people, and I don't have a hard time using it, but the feel is totally different. Before it was like everyone was in one great hall and you could bounce from table to table to see what's going on. Now it's like everyone has gone to their small den, and you have to knock first, LOL.

Actually, I feel like this format will be a great equalizer. In the past, I've seen some posts be totally ignored, while a select few got tons of responses concerning the same subject. I concluded that some folks were simply more popular than others. I'm hoping the discussion will be the most important aspect of these boards, not who was posting it.

So far I like it except the busy server, but that's what comes with growing pains. Having a Mac, the old formate sometimes gave me a headache, all the messages lined up, not indented like on a PC. I like the subjects clear and I also like seeing faces or even the avatars. I think folks will still connect. But how will we do Wordless Wednesday?

Are you on here more or less? Same board or different boards?

I'm personally finding that when I could dash in and dash out, I tended to stay with the K-8 general board. I rarely got around to the other boards. However, with the new format, I tend to click on "new posts" and thus regularly get to see things on the other boards, too!

The good news is that I know a better, well-rounded picture of what is going on. The bad news is that it takes more time.

I'm really glad they changed over on a weekend to give me time to get used to the boards before I have to teach school this coming week.

I'm posting more, spending more time when I visit, but not visiting unless I have a chunk of time. I even got 'server busy' at 1 am last night, so there are more kinks than just volume (there were only about 50 people on). But I'm starting to love the new format!! And keeping out trolls and spam is always a good thing. I also like that we can't go anon - not that anyone really was, toward the end. I also like the pm feature.

Oooh, Oooh! I have a solution for you...

Enable comment at CribChick.com. You'll have loads of new friends, and we won't feel like we're intruding into your personal space by sending an unsolicited email.

:D

You must be reading my mind! Seriously! My husband was sitting here as I tried to get on this board, earlier, and I said, "Maybe I'll have to enable comments on the ol' blog, so I can get some conversation!" LOL!

See, this whole time I've had the comments off partly because I *like* getting emails, and folks have no choice but to email me if there are no comments.

Hmmm...okay, I'm thinking about it.

One advantage I have found with the new forum is being able to go to an old thread, answering it and knowing that it is no longer buried down at the bottom of the page where the OPP would never see it.

I so miss being able to scan the thread titles and one reason I kept coming back to WTM forums and avoided the other forums. Now, this one is just like the others. Yes, something was lost....

but as a wise woman once said to me:

In any new place there will be things that you miss from the old place, but here will also be things that you find that you love, that the old place never had. You are here now, so make the best of it.

It does feel like that to me, too. I feel like I'm interrupting conversations. Don't post negative on me!! (What on earth? We are ALL going to have horrible feedback, after the first 'blow out'. Well, maybe not all, but you know.)

And while I like the pm for instances where you really do need privacy (such as on the old board, responding to an anon post and letting them know you've BTDT - maybe I don't want to announce that to the board, kwim?) it adds to the potential cliquey-ness.

I guess the 'ignore user' is good, if otherwise some people would have instead left the board from being bothered by certain types of conversations.

I'm still in mourning for the old board, but I'm trying to psych myself out of it. And this part is fun.

I have to say the motivation to become a larvae was pretty high; talk about an intermittent reinforcement schedule - I couldn't find anywhere on here HOW you become a Larvae! Now that that obsession is over, I can return to the delightful Herman Hesse. :D I have no more time to spend on the boards than I did with the old format, but I like that I can just peek in and see recent posts, rather than scrolling as I used to.... I am glad I finally found out how to view the "threads" - I was posting in some pretty random places! :rolleyes: And I love the colorful smile faces - so I am inserting even more smile faces than I usually would.

this new format will lead to less time spent scrolling around. That could be a good thing, I think..;)

I am happy so many jumped over and we over ran the new server. LoL. I guess that is just me being silly.:eek:

OK...The server is too busy...I don't love this...:(