Menu

"Quiet Time" toys/activities for a not very independent 5yo?

PagesandFields

I have never successfully had quiet time.  Going into this fall/winter I'm determined to start trying to have after lunch quiet time with the hope that my 5yo will learn how to do SOMETHING on his own... and my 2-3 yo will learn to nap when she needs or have quiet time also.  

My 5yo will listen to audiobooks... but only for so long... and I really really want to encourage him to start some independent play.  The only problem is that the only things I can think of that will hold his attention for long enough I don't think he'll do himself because he's not confident with his dexterity... (like marble runs or legos)...

So - anyone have ideas?  Especially those with active boys?  I'm pretty sure if I buy my 2 year old a dozen princess/fairy sticker books she'll actually do okay... the going to sleep thing I'm not sure about yet...  

help!  I feel like quiet time has been my biggest parenting failure.  :(

DD is older but she's a quiet time pro.  We have an iPod player (clock radio type thing) and it turns off after an hour.  She usually listens to a book and plays with Keva planks and Playmobils during quiet time.  Sometimes she'll read.  Sometimes she's crochet or do needlework.  

When she was your sons age she loved doing Sticker Puzzles.  Seriously.  Hours and hours of quiet on a car ride. 

http://www.amazon.com/Disney-Pixar-Cars-Sticker-Puzzles/dp/B0014CABI4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406495013&sr=8-1&keywords=cars+sticker+puzzle

Try out Keva planks.  They are a toy with years and years of play in them.  

You might also need to start with 15 or 20 minutes and work up to an hour.  

I use to use a timer with my son. He had to lay down or look at books until it went off (15-20 minutes) and then he could play. He had a train table in his room but he also loved playing with cars on the floor. Now at 6.5 he stays in our playroom during quiet time. He usually reads for about an hour and then plays with Legos or cars. Sometimes he gets out the Snap Circuits.

If your 5 yo isn't used to playing independently, start with short periods of time and gradually increase it.

My almost 5 very active boy will tolerate quiet time if I put a laptop in his room and put on a DVD. He then plays on the floor in front of it with his toys. He has just started using the small Legos but before that Duplos where a winner. Also little cars.

I close the door and tell him I will come get him when time is up. His brother usually is in the room too as they share but I tell them if I hear them or they fight one will come out to the lounge and sit staring at the wall LOL.

Does he like to cut up stuff? You could give him a box to sit in and cut--I like giving strips from the paint store to cut into little rectangles of color, or classifieds to cut and tape together to make racetracks that go all over the floor (and down the hall when it's not quiet time!).

Could he do playdough or modeling beeswax or Sculpty on a tray?

Color Wonder marker books?

Could you make him one of those "scavenger hunt" bottles, where you put lots of tiny objects in a plastic bottle with rice, and you write down what you find (or don't write it down lol). You could make several for him.

What about some transient art? A few baskets of loose parts, such as glass gems (from the dollar store), stones, pine cones (little tiny ones), etc on a mirror, or on a chalk board that you first draw on?

Threading? Beautiful beads, green glossy leaves, fabric swatches, wool beads, etc--

Geoboard?

A big puzzle on a board he can keep up in his room and work on from time to time?

A ziptrack train? (You put the track together, then run the little car or train.)

I cheat.  Kindle Fire tv with something playing (Popular Mechanics for Kids is what he's currently into) and bins of toys.  If you're quiet and not destroying things, that's good enough for me.  He hasn't napped since he was 2, and *I* need the quiet, lol.  As long as what's on the tv is mildly intelligent (Signing Time, History Channel, Mr. Rogers, etc.) I don't sweat it.

You might try duplos instead of legos.  He might just not be ready for the legos.  Definitely playmobil.  We LOVE playmobil here.  

I tried yesterday for the first time... let's just say I need to keep working at it.  It took 2 hours to get him to stay by himself for 5 minutes and my younger never fell asleep...  I'll keep trying!   :)

Can you put an audiobook on a timer?  No one can leave the room until the audiobook goes off.  I'd start with ten minutes and build from there.  

I tried yesterday for the first time... let's just say I need to keep working at it.  It took 2 hours to get him to stay by himself for 5 minutes and my younger never fell asleep...  I'll keep trying!   :)

Oh no!  I bet those 2 hours were exhausting.  

My kids are so awesome in so many absolutely amazing ways... But they've never once been good resters, nappers, or sleepers...  I think this rest time is going to be a long road.  I actually think it'll be easier when they're older, can read and be more independent.  But I feel like they're ready to learn to rest, and I'm ready to try gently to insist on it.  I've given up for the weekend because our schedule's always messed up... but I'll try again next week.  

Can you put an audiobook on a timer?  No one can leave the room until the audiobook goes off.  I'd start with ten minutes and build from there.  

I'm going to try to find a cassette player and try audiobooks again next week.  My son will usually listen to them for a while and we have a bunch of old cassettes.

Matchbox cars (especially with some kind of planks for ramps; marbles are nice, too)

Magna Tiles

Books like Richard Scarry's and David Macaulay's, with lots of interesting diagrams to look at

Loose parts like pulleys, rope, nuts, and magnets

Oh, and have you tried a little bribery? When we started quiet time, the deal was that the timer is set for 30 minutes, and if you stay in your room (except a bathroom break if needed) and stay quiet (unless you truly need help, such as a band-aid), you get a sticker. When you have three stickers, you may pick something from the treasure box (such as a book I bought secondhand, a packet of gummy candy, or a little toy). I rotated the toys he had out each week. Then I gradually added more time until we got to 90 minutes, and stretched out the time between rewards. Now he enjoys quiet time for its own sake.

He was/is an anti-sleeper also, so making quiet time work has been really worthwhile. Good luck!

My kids are so awesome in so many absolutely amazing ways... But they've never once been good resters, nappers, or sleepers...  I think this rest time is going to be a long road.  I actually think it'll be easier when they're older, can read and be more independent.  But I feel like they're ready to learn to rest, and I'm ready to try gently to insist on it.  I've given up for the weekend because our schedule's always messed up... but I'll try again next week.  

I think it is good that you recognize your kids are awesome in other ways.  Sometimes parents get caught up in what they are struggling with and fail to recognize all the things that are going well.  Keep trying, I think your children will learn to entertain themselves.  It may take longer and your quiet time may not be as long as it is in other homes, but I think your children can learn.