Menu

Eye color change

Kathryn

Have your children had big eye color changes past toddlerhood? From what I've read, most people are done changing by age three, with the biggest changes happening between six and nine months. My oldest son's eyes were very blue until he was six. They've been slowly changing for the past two years until yesterday I noticed that they are definitely no longer blue.

45AEFC2C-87BE-4B28-8E24-058DAD36550D.png

My younger daughters eyes were bright blue until around 4.  They changed fairly quickly, over about 6 months, to a light brown.  My older daughters eyes were a more muted blue until about 6 when they started changing.  They have changed very slowly over the last 3 years and are now green (though if she wears a bright blue shirt they look bluish still).

None of mine have changed color, but I had a friend growing up and his eyes were very blue when we were little.  Around age 10 or 11 his eyes shifted very clearly from blue to green.  It was really weird, but cool at the same time.

My eyes definitely changed in high school, so around 15-17. I was blue, blue, blue as an infant/toddler/elementary student, moved to hazel in middle school, and they are distinctly, decidedly green now (and have been since at least senior year in high school).

No one knows where the green comes from; both sides of my family have either brown or blue for several generations.

My DH also has green eyes, and I'm watching my son's blue change color now at 15 months, although given my history, I have no idea what they'll settle on or when!

Have your children had big eye color changes past toddlerhood? From what I've read, most people are done changing by age three, with the biggest changes happening between six and nine months. My oldest son's eyes were very blue until he was six. They've been slowly changing for the past two years until yesterday I noticed that they are definitely no longer blue.

45AEFC2C-87BE-4B28-8E24-058DAD36550D.png

Yes! Alvin's eyes were always very blue (like your son's upper picture) and over the past six months or so, they have been getting turning more grey or hazel depending on the light. I always thought eyes changed during toddlerhood at the latest, so I was very surprised. Alvin is 8.5, so I don't know when his eyes are going to be "done" but I sure am going to miss his bright baby blues!

All of my babies have started with dark blue eyes that have lightened over the first couple of days, as they're exposed to light.  Several of them have had them fade to a greyer blue as they get older, but still blue.  Mine have turned greyer blue as I've aged as well, but the shade depends on what I'm wearing; they'll look almost turquoise with certain colors.  So far, even though DH has green eyes, not one of our children's eyes have turned even remotely green, but that's pretty interesting that your son's have gone that much green!

My brother's girls' eyes started out blue at birth, as I understand that most Caucasian babies' eyes do, and then they turned dark brown over a few months.

Yes, mine are also "hazel" and they changed from bluer to more hazel over my childhood, and then in my adulthood they became more blue.

My sister's eyes were blue at birth, then changed to gray.  The most beautiful gray!  But then as a preschooler/school kid they gradually changed to a light yellowish-brown.  Sometimes they have been greenish.

My eyes changed from blue to green when I was about 16-17. My DS has one eye that used to be blue that is now almost yellow. His eyes are 2 very different colors now. The eye doctor said it was ok and not a problem. DH also had brown eyes his whole life and now they are more amber/green than brown. It's weird. 

One of my twins has gone from blue to the "funny color" of his younger brother.  Little man has never had a definable color.  His aren't blue, they aren't brown, but they really aren't what most people think of as hazel either.  The other twin has brown eyes, and I haven't seen a color shift in his.  My blue eyes have dulled over the years but they are still definitely blue.

I thought most babies were born with blue or bluish eyes because blue is lack of pigment?

Anyway, I have very light grey eyes and dh has very green eyes. So, both parents with recessive genes and no brown possible. Both boys born with my light blue eyes. The youngest is 9.5 and currently  his formerly light blue eyes are looking much more like his dad's green eyes.

My dh has a pin point dot of brown in his right eye and my younger son, the one whose eyes are turning green, has the same brown pin point dot in the same place in his right eye.

Eldest boy's eyes have stayed silvery grey like mine. But he looks just like me, poor child. Younger boy looks much more like his dad.

My eyes are about the color of your sons' now. Makes me wonder if mine were ever blue! Dh and I both have green eyes. All of our siblings are blue-eyed blonds. All of our girls have bluish eyes; the color has changed somewhat as they've gotten older, but most would still call them blue-eyed. Eldest's are greenest (a green-blue). Other two are more gray-blue than green-blue.

My eyes were very bright blue until early elementary, then they turned hazel.  My eyes are always changing a bit, never really the same color it seems.  My youngest had very blue eyes until around his 8th birthday.  Now they are turning hazel like mine.  Some days they are blueish, some days greenish.  My older two have the same blue eyes as their dad.  They started out very bright, but have turned more blue grey as they have gotten older.

Bug had bright blue eyes until he was about 6. Now at 8 they are very clearly green. It felt like it happened over night, but realistically, it was over a couple months. I was shocked at first because I was SURE the blue would "stick" since he was so old, I really thought they stopped changing when they were 2 or so.

My youngest daughter had blue eyes until she was about 18 months and then they began turning green. She had beautiful green eyes until she was in grade school when they turned an amber color - not brown, but a really awesome golden color.

ETA:  Someone asked why the color changes and I remembered watching a really interesting video about the very thing. Unfortunately, I can't find the link. But, this one is pretty good, yet simple, explanation if you are interested in the why.

Yes.  Dh's changed at puberty.

Funny related story:  My dh has dark brown, almost black hair and hazel eyes.  When dd #4 was born with very dark brown hair my mil asked whose hair she had.  I said, "Um, your son's."  She looked at me and said, "...but he has blonde hair."  I looked at her like she had two heads and told dh about it later.  He then told me that he thinks of himself as a blonde.  I looked at him like  :confused1: until he showed me photos from when he was 13.  He was as towheaded and blue-eyed as they come.  I didn't meet him until 2 1/2 years later when he was hazel eyed and dark brown haired.

My eyes were very dark brown until my 20s--they are lighter now and have hints of green in them.

This was me, too. I just noticed my 10 year-old son's eyes today were a gorgeous green. I thought they were brown the last time I looked. I wonder when they changed.

Here's an explanation of eye color including a section about changing color.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_color

I know changes in hair color are quite common, I've known many children who started out as blonds and ended up with hair ranging from light brown to nearly black. I imagine if increasing amounts of pigmentation can be produced in hair follicle cells as a child grows the same could happen with eyes...

My eyes went from blue to green in late elementary school. Since then I can change the color of my eyes depending on what I wear.  If I want blue eyes I wear an intense blue top.  If I want them to be green I wear any shade of green.  If I'm not wearing anything they're green.

I had light blond hair until I started school.  By second grade it was light brown. Now I dye it red.

Hmm, interesting!  I don't know anyone whose eyes have changed that drastically, so I didn't know it could happen. My eyes are a blue-green hazel, so sometimes they look bluer and sometimes greener. But I've always thought of myself as having blue eyes, because that is what they were when I was a child. Not sure when they changed. My driver's license still says "blue" for eye color -- I've considered changing it to hazel but it seemed weird to me somehow to walk into the DMV and tell them my eyes are different now than they used to be.

My hair also changed from blonde to a medium brown (and then to mostly gray, though I appear to be blonde again thanks to the magic of hair coloring). My mother used to lament the loss of blonde as my hair gradually changed, so I always felt like my brown hair was less desirable.

Hmm, interesting!  I don't know anyone whose eyes have changed that drastically, so I didn't know it could happen. My eyes are a blue-green hazel, so sometimes they look bluer and sometimes greener. But I've always thought of myself as having blue eyes, because that is what they were when I was a child. Not sure when they changed. My driver's license still says "blue" for eye color -- I've considered changing it to hazel but it seemed weird to me somehow to walk into the DMV and tell them my eyes are different now than they used to be.

My hair also changed from blonde to a medium brown (and then to mostly gray, though I appear to be blonde again thanks to the magic of hair coloring). My mother used to lament the loss of blonde as my hair gradually changed, so I always felt like my brown hair was less desirable.

I had a friend in elementary school whose mother made her bleach her hair because it started to turn brownish after having been blonde. I always felt so bad for her.

Ds's changed sometime in middle school from blue to a hazel with yellow flecks.  I thought I was going a bit nuts, thinking I forgot what color my sons eyese were, when I noticed the changed.  I too thought that they stayed the same, but did some research and found out that it happens all the time.   Blue to hazel seems to be quite common.  

DD15s were a softer blue, but have gotten more blue/grey/grey as she has gotten older (just like mine did).  If her eyes are red or if her pupil is really big the green shows up more.  If she wears colors in the blue family, her eyes seem to match whatever she is wearing.  I figure it is due to reflection and is pretty neat to see if you know to pay attention.