Menu

A list of great picture books for a girl with dyslexia reading at about 3rd grade level

Hi all,

My 9 year old girl has worked really hard to get to where she is at. She can read a paragraph on grade level, but her comprehension is lower because she is still working on decoding words, etc. She is still doing her vision therapy program too, so her eye fatigue kicks in the longer she reads (bilateral strabismus).

She really hates chapter books, hates them. But at least "likes" picture books - I say like because she sure doesn't love to read...yet. 

Do you all have a list of some great picture books, but at her level? I have many volumes of FIAR, and was going to go back and look at those of books.

Thanks.

I will try and get a list started but I am heading out of town.  May be a few days.  In the meantime, are you reading to her?  Does she do well listening to audio books so her eyes don't fatigue?  What program are you using to help her learn to read? Sorry for the questions.  Just trying to get a better picture.

Best wishes....

Great idea!  Have you tried looking at your library's ebook offerings?  Our library uses Overdrive, and you can filter it by target level like that.  We've got access to about 6,000 ebooks at that K-2 level and 2,000 audiobooks.  I've been going through them trying to see if I could get any of them to line up to use on the immersion reading feature of the kindle.  Anyways, we've found TONS of new favorites.  You might even find the immersion reading would be a great tool for her.  I got my ds5 a kindle fire hdx specifically to try it.  I got him the 7" because I wanted him to be able to haul it around.  It's great, but the print ends up small on picture books.  If you have the budget, try the bigger one (8.9"?).  They do have a feature where the print gets bigger when you tap it, but still I'd consider going bigger.

Right now ds has been listening to Bats at the Beach.  It's part of a series and really adorable with a great narration.