Menu

Dr Hive...random stomach pain questions...

momto3innc

I'd love some thoughts on this if you have a minute.

My son (8) started almost 3 weeks ago complained of a stomach ache one night. Nothing too bad but it was bothering him enough that he had trouble falling asleep. This continued on and off for a couple days, mainly at night. I took him to the doctor for something else (ended up being diagnosed with PANDAS and put on antibiotics). Due to the strep associated with pandas we assumed the stomach ache was from that and that it would clear up. Well the PANDAS issues resolved quickly but the stomach ache remained. So we went back in a week ago. He was tested for h. pylori as the symptoms seemed to fit with that. We just got the results back today and it's negative. I'm waiting to hear back from the doctor on what I should do next.

Basically his stomach is hurting on and off through the day, particularly at night and early morning. There has been no vomiting or diarrhea or fever. He is eating normally and says that everything has been normal in the bathroom. The pain is in the upper middle of his stomach. The pediatrician last week also put us on Prevacid to see if it was acid related (although he has never had acid issues) but that has not made a difference. Yesterday he told me it hurts worse when he sneezes or coughs or runs hard...which just seems weird to me, more like a pulled muscle or something but at night he's not moving around and it's still hurting. Overall he's running and playing normally so it's not like he's in a bunch of pain, but he does consistently bring it up most nights and occasionally some other time.

Any thoughts?

My DD8 had stomach pain around and directly above her belly button. Most of the time, it bothered her at night, but she would often complain of it hurting during the day.  I noticed that the pain level increased when she was stressed or upset about something.  We tried several meds for reflux, but none of them seemed to help.  Her doctor diagnosed her about 3 months ago with abdominal migraines.  She put her on a preventative medicine for migraines and my daughter never complains any more.  May want to ask your doctor about that possibility.  It took a about a year and a half for us to get that diagnosis and find something that worked.

He has not been checked for hernias. At the appt she asked if we had a family history of hernias which we do not. She ended up deciding to check on the h.pylori first but I'm wondering if hernias will be next. I've actually not heard of abdominal migraines before...interesting. Off to look it up.