Menu

Hair Salon Tipping

My regular hairdresser for 20 years (who has given us discount pricing) has broken her wrist.  For 4 haircuts with 2 beard trims (no washing or blow drying) with tip I pay about $65.  I tried a new hairdresser today on my teens.  The new hairdresser charged $32 each (saying she gave a bit of a discount because they weren't full adults).  So before I added the tip, the 2 cuts with 1 beard trim cost $64.  What kind of a tip should I have given?

WOW! Here there are "salons" on every corner and I would never pay over $15- 20 for a woman's cut, usually $10-12 for men, $8 for kids (up to 12). Tip is a dollar or 2 extra. The prices some of you are mentioning would be for a dye job or perm....

DH really likes "his guy" (you sit and wait for whomever is next unless you request one in particular) at the barber shop and pays $12 including tip. Beard trimming DH does at home.

Thanks for your responses.  I tipped $6 each, which was close to 20%.  The new gal was very nice and my teens liked the results, but I'm sure in shock over paying twice the price.  I wish when a salon is owner operated and she is the only one who works there, that a tip wouldn't be expected.  Just charge a little more so there is no guessing. 

30%  That seems quite high.  Even my friend who is a stylist says 20 - 25% is normal and customary.  Perhaps it's regional?

I pay considerably more than what I'm reading here to get my hair done.  I do it every 10 weeks (fortunately, it grows very slowly), and it includes a cut, color (partial foils), and gloss treatment.  The tip I  always leave equals right at 20% of the services, pre-tax.  

Ahhhhhhhhhh thirty percent! Thirty percent you guys. Twentyfive % on the outside.

Love,

Former stylist

30%? That seems like a lot.  I thought I was doing well tipping at 20%.  How did tip expectations get so high?

Yeah as I said I give $5 for the $12 cuts my kids get.  I dunno mostly because I feel like $12 is such a steal.  But if I had to pay $30 per cut, I couldn't afford a percentage equal to that!

I usually tip $5 each for the $14 cuts my kids get.  Actually, if one is getting a cut, I'll often just leave a $20 and that's that.  

30% of the services performed on my hair is quite a bit of money, and as far as I'm concerned the person who cuts my daughter's hair for $14 isn't doing considerably more work than the person who cuts my hair for....um...more than that.  Now, she does have the specific skills and experience that are important to me for my own hair, and obviously I value that or I wouldn't be willing to pay it.  But the actual work involved for the cut is not really any more than it is for the lesser cut.  I believe the tip I leave is completely appropriate. (Obviously I'm excluding the other two services I said before that I always get).

As long as we're on the subject, I hate that tipping is based on a percentage of the purchase price anyway.  If I go to Steak 'n Shake and my family orders 5 meals for $50 total, the server will get about $10-$12 tip.  If I go to a fancy-pants restaurant and pay $200 for my family to eat, the tip will be $40 - $45.  Did the server at the expensive place do work that is worth $30+ dollars more than the person at Steak 'n Shake?  Granted, the tables turn faster at Steak 'n Shake, so change that to Outback or something.  Same principle.  I find it unfair.

But of course, I digress.....

I usually tip $5 each for the $14 cuts my kids get. Actually, if one is getting a cut, I'll often just leave a $20 and that's that.

30% of the services performed on my hair is quite a bit of money, and as far as I'm concerned the person who cuts my daughter's hair for $14 isn't doing considerably more work than the person who cuts my hair for....um...more than that. Now, she does have the specific skills and experience that are important to me for my own hair, and obviously I value that or I wouldn't be willing to pay it. But the actual work involved for the cut is not really any more than it is for the lesser cut. I believe the tip I leave is completely appropriate. (Obviously I'm excluding the other two services I said before that I always get).

As long as we're on the subject, I hate that tipping is based on a percentage of the purchase price anyway. If I go to Steak 'n Shake and my family orders 5 meals for $50 total, the server will get about $10-$12 tip. If I go to a fancy-pants restaurant and pay $200 for my family to eat, the tip will be $40 - $45. Did the server at the expensive place do work that is worth $30+ dollars more than the person at Steak 'n Shake? Granted, the tables turn faster at Steak 'n Shake, so change that to Outback or something. Same principle. I find it unfair.

But of course, I digress.....

Usually at a fancy pants restaurant, if they're worth the prices on the menu, the servers do provide more service and are better informed about the specials, wine, etc. Though not all pricey restaurants are equal, the service I've received at them have been, on average, better than Coco's or our local Swami's.

Usually at a fancy pants restaurant, if they're worth the prices on the menu, the servers do provide more service and are better informed about the specials, wine, etc. Though not all pricey restaurants are equal, the service I've received at them have been, on average, better than Coco's or our local Swami's.

I get that sometimes, but  it's not a universal rule.  In fact, sometimes the menus are so small they have a lot less to remember!  

I understand the sentiment, and I suppose it's the same as what I said about paying more for the skills and experience of the girl who cuts my hair as opposed to those who cut my kids' hair.  I still don't like the practice.  I believe in tipping, and I tip well, but I think it should be more of a standard /customary flat rate by service, with discretion to go higher or lower based on service, rather than a standard/customary percentage, with the same adjustment option.

Every time a tipping thread pops up, I end up saying the same thing...so I'll go ahead and say it. I wish tipping would go out of fashion and people would get paid a wage that reflects their worth.   Price my haircuts, meals, pizza, taxi drive, manicures, massages,and everything else to reflect that. 

My massage therapist falls all over herself to provide me good service, but so does the lady who works at the meat market.  I hate the tipping culture. 

The end. 

I would think NYC or LA would expect a tip in the 30% range, or maybe in the fancier salons in other big cities.  Too high for my pocketbook, especially when it is a simple cut on straight hair. 

When I said the new stylist was getting paid twice as much, I was comparing what she charges to what my long time stylist was charging me.  I paid more for two people than I did for four people, and that was before I added in the tip. 

I have to say, I remember when I was a single working gal, I sure did love going to the hair salon and getting pampered.  I had the money to do that back then. 

I agree. 

I don't like the whole tipping thing.  I always thought the main purpose was to reward good service with a bit of extra.  These days it's like no matter what kind of service you get you are supposed to tip (and tip big).  People were appalled that I said I once didn't tip because the service was horrible.  I mean HORRIBLE.  Someone said to me well in that case I still give them something because they are counting on it.  Well then they should do their job!

I agree.  I hate that it's basically required.  What I support is for it to be customary to tip service providers for excellent service, but it really should be in addition to the salary/wage they are already earning for doing their job.

I completely resent being expected to tip even when the service is poor.  

And yes, I've worked for tips.  

I love my stylist. He does an amazing job. He isn't cheap for where I live, but I grew up outside DC, and he is cheaper than I would pay there. So I pay $65 for my cut. I tip $25. Like I said, Robb is amazing. It is my one vice. I don't get manicures and pedicures. I don't have a Starbucks habit. But I like a good haircut.

I got a cut, color and highlights last month and it was around $250 with tip. I tip 20%.

ETA: I agree that 30% sounds high to me. I used to go to Jose Eber in LA and still never tipped more than 25%.

Wow, I tip 35%!

Sounds impressive until I tell you I tip $5 on a $14 Great Clips hair cut. But that's the same amount I would want to tip for the hair salon that would charge me $35. They do wash my hair (unlike Great Clips), but otherwise I've never noticed that they cut it any better. So it's the cheap place with high percentage but low total dollar amount tip for me!

I agree. 

I don't like the whole tipping thing.  I always thought the main purpose was to reward good service with a bit of extra.  These days it's like no matter what kind of service you get you are supposed to tip (and tip big).  People were appalled that I said I once didn't tip because the service was horrible.  I mean HORRIBLE.  Someone said to me well in that case I still give them something because they are counting on it.  Well then they should do their job!

Tips seem to be going up and up all the time. I'm 51. Back when I was young, you just tipped the hiardresser a couple of extra bucks. No 20% or 30% or anything like that. Once one of my friends who was a hairdresser specifically told the neighborhood folks not to tip much, that it was NOT expected in her job.

Now, all of a sudden, twenty years later I'm told to tip 20 - 30 percent? What gives? Why do people tip so much nowadays? This was NOT the norm 30 years ago.

I tip 15% - 20%, and I feel like I'm being generous. I don't think I'll be going up from there. I'd rather just not get the job done, then.

It also used to be standard to tip 15% at a regular restaurant. That was considered good and normal at an average-priced restaurant. Now people tip 20% and up? What gives? The other day I tipped over 20% at a mid-priced restaurant because I thought the service was very good. Then my friend tip about 50%. That made me feel cheap, when I though 20% plus was good. Makes me think I just ought not to go out to eat anymore. Maybe I shouldn't. Maybe the restaurant industry would rather I not dine at their establishment if I'm accustomed to 15% as standard, 20% for excellent.

I tip $10 for a $35 haircut. I think that's overtipping personally, but I really like the way she does my hair. I rarely wear makeup (I'm too lazy), so I want a really good haircut.

I would like to see all tipping done away with except for in restaurants. I think it is out of control. That said, I am a good tipper when it comes to my hair stylist, eating out, and hotels. But give you a tip for my coffee? No. Give you a tip for ringing up my frozen yogurt, which I put in the cup, added my own toppings to, and carried up to the register? No. Give you a tip after a tour for which I paid $20-40? No. In the "big city" a couple hours away, everyone is required to get their car emissions tested. The people there also want a tip. Call me what you will, but I don't think I should have to supplement the wages of everyone everywhere I do business.

Ahhhhhhhhhh thirty percent! Thirty percent you guys. Twentyfive % on the outside.

Love,

Former stylist

No, just no. I'm all for reasonable tipping but it's starting to get out of control. Thirty percent is if you make me look like a movie star.

Expected tipping percentages are going through the roof. The more we give, the more is expected. I top out at 25% unless there was something exceptionally beyond expectations done.

I tip $12 typically on a $58 haircut, so just a tiny bit over 20%.  >50% of the time a salon assistant shampoos me, so I give her a buck or two.  I tip more like $25-30 to my stylist around Christmas.

I just got my hair cut and found out my stylist is leaving.  I gave her a $20 tip since she's moving out of state :(

Every time a tipping thread pops up, I end up saying the same thing...so I'll go ahead and say it. I wish tipping would go out of fashion and people would get paid a wage that reflects their worth.   Price my haircuts, meals, pizza, taxi drive, manicures, massages,and everything else to reflect that. 

My massage therapist falls all over herself to provide me good service, but so does the lady who works at the meat market.  I hate the tipping culture. 

The end. 

Completely agree.   Around here a haircut averages $40.   Could be 1/2 hour or an hour of work.    So $40-80/hr seems like a darn good wage to me.

I don't get it.   Are hairstylists really getting paid peanuts out of that?    I sincerely want to know.    It's making me resent tipping.  

Completely agree.   Around here a haircut averages $40.   Could be 1/2 hour or an hour of work.    So $40-80/hr seems like a darn good wage to me.

I don't get it.   Are hairstylists really getting paid peanuts out of that?    I sincerely want to know.    It's making me resent tipping.  

We gave dd a manicure for her birthday last week, at a resort in a town we were visiting. The manicure was $65 and took about 50 minutes.  When I paid for it, the lady asked me how much I wanted to tip, and I said 20%. She misheard me and added a $20 tip. I stopped her- and corrected her that I said 20% and she asked me if there was a problem with the service.  Evidently 20% is not acceptable. But they paid her at least minimum wage (and I'm sure more than that) and I really thought a $13 tip was PLENTY.  It really bugged me. 

I'm old enough to remember back in the 70's when 10% was a standard tip. I know that's about when many areas  changed to 15% but where we lived 10% was still an acceptable tip well into the 1980's. 

I hate the tipping culture. Hate it.  

I hate calling up to make hair salon appointments, so I book our next appointment while I'm at the salon.  Our family goes together and gets cuts every 6 weeks.  That's a little too long for the men in the family, and a little too soon for the women.  However, it works for us, and because my regular stylist gives us a good deal, I feel we are rewarding her by paying for cuts very regularly. If I had to pay more than we do, I don't think I would go as often.  I guess I should do the math and compare how many times more I go in a year. 

I'm old enough to remember back in the 70's when 10% was a standard tip. I know that's about when many areas  changed to 15% but where we lived 10% was still an acceptable tip well into the 1980's. 

When I waitressed in the early-mid 1980s, 10% was average, 15% was excellent. We rarely got 15%. Most people only tipped that for way beyond average, as in, you did something special because you found out it was their anniversary or birthday. I do tip 18-20% now, because it is expected but I don't always really get "it". People say, well it costs more to live now, but guess what, the cost of the food is higher too......... so 10% of a $35 bill was $3.50 but now that same meal would be more like $60, so instead of $6, it is $12, do to the changes in tipping expectations. That's $12 for about an hour's work, just for my table, plus one has the tips from the other tables you're working...... and yes, I do get down times with no tables and the sometimes required tipping payouts to other employees......

We gave dd a manicure for her birthday last week, at a resort in a town we were visiting. The manicure was $65 and took about 50 minutes.  When I paid for it, the lady asked me how much I wanted to tip, and I said 20%. She misheard me and added a $20 tip. I stopped her- and corrected her that I said 20% and she asked me if there was a problem with the service.  Evidently 20% is not acceptable. But they paid her at least minimum wage (and I'm sure more than that) and I really thought a $13 tip was PLENTY.  It really bugged me. 

I'm still freaking out about a $65 manicure!  

I get manicures pretty much every other week.  It's $28 ($25? Something like that)  and that includes gel polish.  I tip $5 or so.  Wow.  

Your tip was more than sufficient, in my opinion.  

I'm still freaking out about a $65 manicure!  

I get manicures pretty much every other week.  It's $28 ($25? Something like that)  and that includes gel polish.  I tip $5 or so.  Wow.  

Your tip was more than sufficient, in my opinion.  

Well, for starters it was at a resort.  So the package included a hand massage, hot wax treatment on the hands, chocolate dipped strawberries, and eventually the manicure.g 

I know it was a really expensive manicure but it was much nicer than any she's had at a mall salon. And it was a birthday gift, so we were ok with the splurge.   And it was still overpriced.  You don't even want to know what I paid for a couples massage for dh and me at that spa last month!

Well, for starters it was at a resort.  So the package included a hand massage, hot wax treatment on the hands, chocolate dipped strawberries, and eventually the manicure.g 

I know it was a really expensive manicure but it was much nicer than any she's had at a mall salon. And it was a birthday gift, so we were ok with the splurge.   And it was still overpriced.  You don't even want to know what I paid for a couples massage for dh and me at that spa last month!

I missed the part that it was a resort town, so that makes sense.  My normal manicure includes hand, arm, and shoulder massage, but it's extra for hot wax, and there is no option for chocolate dipped strawberries! 

When my husband had a manicure before our wedding, also in a resort town, it was I think $60 or so for him, too.  No strawberries, but it did come with a martini, I think!  

That was so rude of her! 

I tip 20% for my hair and I feel that is plenty. I do give a generous tip to the ladies that cut Ds' hair because they charge so little to begin with. 

I hate calling up to make hair salon appointments, so I book our next appointment while I'm at the salon. Our family goes together and gets cuts every 6 weeks. That's a little too long for the men in the family, and a little too soon for the women. However, it works for us, and because my regular stylist gives us a good deal, I feel we are rewarding her by paying for cuts very regularly. If I had to pay more than we do, I don't think I would go as often. I guess I should do the math and compare how many times more I go in a year.

I agree. I get my hair cut every three weeks. Sometimes every other week. It grows super fast. If I tipped 30 percent I'd probably try to go longer between cuts. Maybe even let my hair grow out so it only needed a trim every few months. I don't think that would financially benefit my stylist in the long run.

Love,

Former stylist

I can tell you that where I live, that number would be a pipe dream.  Nobody around here is going to tip ANYBODY 30% for ANYTHING.  It's usually 15%, 20% if you're really good.

One more reason why I hate the whole tipping thing.  Just decide one the dang price and tell me. 

I used to go to high end salons…and would pay $45+ for a hair cut….and this was 10-15 years ago.  I would tip about $12-15…so say, give her $60.00.  Then one day I tried Hair Cuttery, and I was hooked.  I pay about $18-20 for mine.  I usually tip $5.00.

For a $64.00 cut, I'd probably tip about $10-15.00.

I love my stylist. He does an amazing job. He isn't cheap for where I live, but I grew up outside DC, and he is cheaper than I would pay there. So I pay $65 for my cut. I tip $25. Like I said, Robb is amazing. It is my one vice. I don't get manicures and pedicures. I don't have a Starbucks habit. But I like a good haircut.

Holy, Expensive, Batman!  I usually don't pay but about $25 for a haircut!

It also used to be standard to tip 15% at a regular restaurant. That was considered good and normal at an average-priced restaurant. Now people tip 20% and up? What gives? The other day I tipped over 20% at a mid-priced restaurant because I thought the service was very good. Then my friend tip about 50%. That made me feel cheap, when I though 20% plus was good. Makes me think I just ought not to go out to eat anymore. Maybe I shouldn't. Maybe the restaurant industry would rather I not dine at their establishment if I'm accustomed to 15% as standard, 20% for excellent.

Yeah, and WHO is it that decides what is "standard" anyway? 

And where will it end?  A 50% tip?  Not even if she came to my house and prepared a custom ordered meal.  Geez.

My hair, my stylist refuses to take tips. No, she is not the owner. I pay about $40 for a full cut. My girls tend to just get their bangs trimmed, they are $5. They might get a full trim once a year. Maybe. Ds visits the barber. His is $10. No tip there either. His barber does own his own shop. Dh has a friend trim his. I'm not sure if he pays for it or not. She does have a cosm. license, but is not working in that field. She cuts his hair either at their office or at her home. He does a good many friendly favors for her and her husband when needed.

I tip my stylist 15% because that is what I can afford.

I happen to think that 25-30% is ridiculous. It would be one thing if I had some kind of difficult hair and was having a runway updo done that took an hour or more.