Menu

Need Disney World hotel help

happyWImom

We loved breakfast at Crystal Palace.  We really enjoyed breakfast at Kona too, but that's obviously not a character meal.  We were able to book BOG for lunch via a link available at that time on the Disboards, and thought it was some of the best food in MK.  It was nice to have someone wheel food over to us, yet it only counted as a counter service meal.  I didn't feel like we missed out by not doing dinner.  I have no idea if there is still a link that lets you in to book BOG for lunch, but that was a great option for us.

If we do Windsor Hills, any specific recommendations?  And do/should I book through floridasunvacationhomes.com?   Wyndham Bonnet Creek looks wonderful, but if I'm just booking right on their website, they are a lot more expensive than Windsor Hills.  Do you use any other booking sites?

If I try for on-site, I might look specifically at Fort Wilderness because it does seem more laid back & less hectic.  What do you think the least expensive, safe way would be to book it?

I know I can only do the meal plan if we stay on-site, but what about that fast pass thing?  Can you only get that if you stay on-site?

Here's who we used and she was lovely to work with and the unit was gorgeous.

http://www.laughingplacevilla.com/

Fastpasses are for everyone now, but onsite guests may have more benefits associated with that.  We visited this past February.  Someone who's been there more recently may be able to help you with that.  easywdw.com is a great place to go for all things Disney :)

Here's who we used and she was lovely to work with and the unit was gorgeous.

http://www.laughingplacevilla.com/

Fastpasses are for everyone now, but onsite guests may have more benefits associated with that.  We visited this past February.  Someone who's been there more recently may be able to help you with that.  easywdw.com is a great place to go for all things Disney :)

Here villas look fabulous!  With their own private pools-I love it!  I've already sent her an email!  Thanks much. :001_smile:

Okay, I don't know if anyone is still following this, but we priced everything out today & there is no way we can do on-site for 7nt end of Feb.  (At least not staying in any type of a suite).  My mom just about died when I told her the price.  So, is anyone familiar with Caribe Royale Orlando.  They have suites, are only a mile away & have free parking.  That is key, because we will have to pay for parking at Disney, so we can't afford double parking fees.

I was still considering the Windsor Hills, but am concerned about cancellation.  I always purchase travel insurance and am not sure if it would be applicable if I book Windsor Hills.

I'm starting to really stress out, because i feel like I've spent the last few days online researching everything and have become more confused.

Okay, I don't know if anyone is still following this, but we priced everything out today & there is no way we can do on-site for 7nt end of Feb. (At least not staying in any type of a suite). My mom just about died when I told her the price. So, is anyone familiar with Caribe Royale Orlando. They have suites, are only a mile away & have free parking. That is key, because we will have to pay for parking at Disney, so we can't afford double parking fees.

I was still considering the Windsor Hills, but am concerned about cancellation. I always purchase travel insurance and am not sure if it would be applicable if I book Windsor Hills.

I'm starting to really stress out, because i feel like I've spent the last few days online researching everything and have become more confused.

I know. Been there.

I have never heard of that Caribe place- but you don't pay to park at Windsor Hills either, and it's very very close to WDW. Honestly, I would just go with that and be done with it.

Okay, I don't know if anyone is still following this, but we priced everything out today & there is no way we can do on-site for 7nt end of Feb.  (At least not staying in any type of a suite).  My mom just about died when I told her the price.  So, is anyone familiar with Caribe Royale Orlando.  They have suites, are only a mile away & have free parking.  That is key, because we will have to pay for parking at Disney, so we can't afford double parking fees.

I was still considering the Windsor Hills, but am concerned about cancellation.  I always purchase travel insurance and am not sure if it would be applicable if I book Windsor Hills.

Go to Insuremytrip.com.  check out prices for your trip for insurance.  And, ask specifically about Windsor Hills.  We've had to utilize our trip insurance once.  EVERYTHING was covered.  (Long story)

I know. Been there.

I have never heard of that Caribe place- but you don't pay to park at Windsor Hills either, and it's very very close to WDW. Honestly, I would just go with that and be done with it.

Yes, we are going with Windsor Hills.  After many, many hours and much anguish (right decision, wrong decision-agh) the decision has been made!  We would have had to shorten our stay if we would have stayed on-site, and I think we'll be less stressed with more room at Windsor Hills.

I did check with Travel Guard insurance & know we'll be covered, but I'm also going to look at the one Jennifer recommended.

Thanks!

I am planning my dining *right now* since we will hit 180 days out in a few days, and I am really struggling! I have all these places that I love and want to return to, but then I also want to try some new-to-me options.... decisions, decisions....

Has Chef Mickey's breakfast gotten better, or is it still "meh"?

The food at Rainforest isn't that great, but I just don't feel like I have *done* Disney without going to dinner there after a day at Animal Kingdom. And I really want to try the T-Rex place in downtown Disney...

Hoping and hoping that we'll score a spot at Be Our Guest for dinner...

T Rex restaurant in downtown Disney is pretty awesome!

I went on floridasunvacations.com and I know I can book Windsor Hills there, but only 2 townhomes w/pools showed up in my search.  But, when I went directly to the Windsor Hills site and put my criteria in, a bunch came up, and then it has you deal directly with the owners off of their individual sites.  Has anyone done that?  Because there are quite a few properties that look good, I just was wondering which was the "safer" option?

Bonnet Creek is more of a resort, so more $. The pirate ship water area is awesome. WH is a gated, well maintained community of condos (homes & townhouses) with a community pool. (Windsor Palms is exactly the same layout, but with a salt water pool, as I've said. lol) You can't get a pedicure or massage either place, but you can at BC. But for the price, the Windsors can't be beat. As I've mentioned, the drive into WDW is quick and without traffic. Easy. Staying on site with multiple kids, I would agree that Wilderness Cabins is a great option. I was prepared to hate it, but was surprisingly pleased. Not as spacious or private for parents as WH, but still nice.

I went on floridasunvacations.com and I know I can book Windsor Hills there, but only 2 townhomes w/pools showed up in my search. But, when I went directly to the Windsor Hills site and put my criteria in, a bunch came up, and then it has you deal directly with the owners off of their individual sites. Has anyone done that? Because there are quite a few properties that look good, I just was wondering which was the "safer" option?

I've always booked through VBRO, and dealt directly with owners. It's very safe.

My ds saw the Coral Reef Restaurant online & feels we have to go there.  For the looks. :001_smile: What's the food like?  Any other "musts"?  Also, what about the shows; I haven't even checked into those yet.

Coral Reef used to be fabulous, now it's just "meh".  We skip it.  You will be paying out of pocket for each meal if you're staying off-site, so make sure you're aware of the dining prices before you go.  You will also have to make reservations for every sit-down meal ASAP, and they go fast.  On-site guests can make them 180 days + 10 before their departure date. Off site guests aren't given the +10 option, and you must call or go online each day from your 180 day mark to get your dining ressies.  They go VERY fast, especially Be Our Guest, and you probably will not be able to book a dinner there.  The lunch is just as good, although you'll have to stand in line.  They don't take lunch reservations, as it's a quick service option at lunch time.

All dining reservations must be guaranteed with a credit card at the time of booking, and if you plan on cancelling, you must give them 24 hours notice, or they will charge your card a "no show" fee.

So, on the morning of your 180 day mark, call (the website can be wonky) WDW dining reservations at 6 AM eastern time for the best possible chance at getting the restaurant you want.  You will only be able to reserve for that one day since you're off site.  Rinse and repeat the process every day for each day of your vacation that you want to have a sit down meal.

Here's a couple of good sites with dining information:

http://allears.net/dining/  (they have all the menus and update them regularly)

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/

Good luck!!

Oh, and you don't have to make reservations for shows.  They are part of your ticket price.  You just pick a time for one (say Lion King), and stand in line.

Cirque de Soliel in Downtown Disney is not part of your admission and does require additional tickets with reservations.

Coral Reef used to be fabulous, now it's just "meh".  We skip it.  You will be paying out of pocket for each meal if you're staying off-site, so make sure you're aware of the dining prices before you go.  You will also have to make reservations for every sit-down meal ASAP, and they go fast.  On-site guests can make them 180 days + 10 before their departure date. Off site guests aren't given the +10 option, and you must call or go online each day from your 180 day mark to get your dining ressies.  They go VERY fast, especially Be Our Guest, and you probably will not be able to book a dinner there.  The lunch is just as good, although you'll have to stand in line.  They don't take lunch reservations, as it's a quick service option at lunch time.

All dining reservations must be guaranteed with a credit card at the time of booking, and if you plan on cancelling, you must give them 24 hours notice, or they will charge your card a "no show" fee.

So, on the morning of your 180 day mark, call (the website can be wonky) WDW dining reservations at 6 AM eastern time for the best possible chance at getting the restaurant you want.  You will only be able to reserve for that one day since you're off site.  Rinse and repeat the process every day for each day of your vacation that you want to have a sit down meal.

Good luck!!

Thanks so much!  I'm going to have my ds (researcher of all things Disney) start compiling info. on restaurants so we can get on this ASAP!

I'm following...I'm wondering too if it's better to book WH directly or through VHBO or Florida Sun? Will the same prices show up both places, or can they vary? What is a good price to pay for a 4-5 bedroom with private pool?

My husband wants to stay on site, but with 5 kids I'm convinced WH is the way to go. I know they are two different vacations, but if we only get there once, which is better? I looked at Mickeys Clubhouse and with it's theming, it's hard to believe anyone could be disappointed with that house. It looks amazing! But DH thinks we'll be missing out on the magic.

Also, does anyone know if a family of 7 would save more money getting me free dining, or just buying groceries and eating out 1 meal per day?

Obviously, this next question has a lot of factors, but what is a ballpark figure for a Disney vacation for a family of 7? And we're talking 4-5 day tickets, not many frills or extras.

I'm following...I'm wondering too if it's better to book WH directly or through VHBO or Florida Sun? Will the same prices show up both places, or can they vary? What is a good price to pay for a 4-5 bedroom with private pool?

My husband wants to stay on site, but with 5 kids I'm convinced WH is the way to go. I know they are two different vacations, but if we only get there once, which is better? I looked at Mickeys Clubhouse and with it's theming, it's hard to believe anyone could be disappointed with that house. It looks amazing! But DH thinks we'll be missing out on the magic.

Also, does anyone know if a family of 7 would save more money getting me free dining, or just buying groceries and eating out 1 meal per day?

Obviously, this next question has a lot of factors, but what is a ballpark figure for a Disney vacation for a family of 7? And we're talking 4-5 day tickets, not many frills or extras.

For us it was $7K, includes everything, including a 2 bedroom on-site villa and all meals. That was 7 days of tickets and 7 nights.  It would be less with fewer nights.  After staying on-site, my DH will not stay offsite.

We stayed at AoA in June and it was amazing.  We had a one bedroom suite (there were 5 of us), with a kitchenette and 2 bathrooms.  It's considered a value hotel, and wasn't that expensive IMO.  The whole hotel was beautifully done.  I actually liked it more than some of the moderate level hotels we've stayed in on property.  To be honest, we will never go to Disney without staying on property.  It's just too easy and convenient.  

For us it was $7K, includes everything, including a 2 bedroom on-site villa and all meals. That was 7 days of tickets and 7 nights. It would be less with fewer nights. After staying on-site, my DH will not stay offsite.

Mmm, tell me exactly WHY he said that. How many of you are there? I just can't find an on site option that fits all 7 of us. And if I have to get 2 rooms, well that isn't appealing to me.

For us it was $7K, includes everything, including a 2 bedroom on-site villa and all meals. That was 7 days of tickets and 7 nights.  It would be less with fewer nights.  After staying on-site, my DH will not stay offsite.

I kept thinking on-site would be best, too but we are going end of Feb. and I priced A of A for 7nts with 5 day hopper and meals (the option where you get 1 sit down & 1 quick meal per day) and it cost us over $6K.  Plus, we would have still had to add air, and we just couldn't do it.  I get the convenience and the magic of staying on-site, and while I wish we could, even with paying for parking at Disney, we can stay off-site for less than $1000 for the week.  I tried pricing out a 4nt trip on-site, but I hated having even less days.

I went on floridasunvacations.com and I know I can book Windsor Hills there, but only 2 townhomes w/pools showed up in my search. But, when I went directly to the Windsor Hills site and put my criteria in, a bunch came up, and then it has you deal directly with the owners off of their individual sites. Has anyone done that? Because there are quite a few properties that look good, I just was wondering which was the "safer" option?

It means that the other town homes they own are all booked up.

Did you try the condos?

This is just a personal thing- so ignore if you want :) We don't bother with the town homes because they still only have 3 bedrooms- and those splash pools are really really small. I would much rather swim in the main pool at Windsor Hills, or get a 4 BR house that had it's own pool in the back.

We spend about $6K for a family of 3 (now 4) but we stay for 12-16 days, offsite. We also visit other places- like SeaWorld, Legoland, Universal....

And we eat wherever we want- and eat some meals at the condo.

That includes all our souvenirs and plane tickets.

To be fair though, my mom and aunt come with us and we split the cost of lodging by three. So it's like $30 something a night for us.

I realize I'm coming in late and I'll admit I only quickly scanned the pp... but I'm sitting here right now typing at the Parkway International right next to Disney in a 2 bedroom, 2 bath condo with complete kitchen facilities, washer/dryer, great bathrooms, great pool and whirlpool, and more.  If we didn't love staying on property so much (switching to the Polynesian today), I'd definitely recommend this place... It's why I'm adding my suggestion.

I'd only stay off-site if we were planning on doing other attractions besides Disney, but that's us.  I suspect we'll come back here again sooner or later.  It's really nice.

Good luck!!

I've been on lots of the restaurant sites looking at menus, and while everything looks delicious to me, I'm nervous for my dc.  My ds, especially is pretty picky.  I see lots of items that he would like/eat on the different kids menus, but the problem is the age-3-9.  He's 10.  I could care less about the price difference (well, not really, but...) but I'm just wondering if there's any way we could still order off the kids menu & just pay a higher price or something.  Otherwise, he'll be eating cheeseburgers every place we go.

Mmm, tell me exactly WHY he said that. How many of you are there? I just can't find an on site option that fits all 7 of us. And if I have to get 2 rooms, well that isn't appealing to me.

If we were to stay off site, it becomes 'not a vacation for mom.'  Disney is the only real vacation I've ever done.  Other than a few loads of laundry in our in suite washer, I didn't have to do anything.  On most of our vacations, we stay at VBRO homes and I cook most meals.  Same thing I do at home.  We fly in as the drive is 20 hours.  Rental mini-vans are $1000 a week, so that adds a significant expenses as well. 

If we were to stay off site, it becomes 'not a vacation for mom.'  Disney is the only real vacation I've ever done.  Other than a few loads of laundry in our in suite washer, I didn't have to do anything.  On most of our vacations, we stay at VBRO homes and I cook most meals.  Same thing I do at home.  We fly in as the drive is 20 hours.  Rental mini-vans are $1000 a week, so that adds a significant expenses as well. 

Even though we get a 2 bedroom villa with a kitchen, we don't cook. We just want the space. I do laundry but no cooking. We just keep breakfast stuff and snacks, and drinks. I would have a hard time if someone made me cook. On days we aren't in a Disney park, we might order pizza at the pool instead of going out to eat but NO COOKING. Because then it wouldn't be a vacation for me.

I've been on lots of the restaurant sites looking at menus, and while everything looks delicious to me, I'm nervous for my dc.  My ds, especially is pretty picky.  I see lots of items that he would like/eat on the different kids menus, but the problem is the age-3-9.  He's 10.  I could care less about the price difference (well, not really, but...) but I'm just wondering if there's any way we could still order off the kids menu & just pay a higher price or something.  Otherwise, he'll be eating cheeseburgers every place we go.

They will not ask the age of your son. He can order off the kids' menu if he wants, no problem.

The only thing the age affects is the price of the dining plan, if you purchase it. There is a different price for children under age 9. Once they turn ten, they are charged the adult price for the dining plan, but even then they can order off of the kids' menu if they want.

If you have the free dining plan, it is all free, so no worries.

If you are not buying the dining plan but just paying as you go, your son can just order what he wants off of any part of the menu. He'll be fine!

If we were to stay off site, it becomes 'not a vacation for mom.' Disney is the only real vacation I've ever done. Other than a few loads of laundry in our in suite washer, I didn't have to do anything. On most of our vacations, we stay at VBRO homes and I cook most meals. Same thing I do at home. We fly in as the drive is 20 hours. Rental mini-vans are $1000 a week, so that adds a significant expenses as well.

Wow, $1000 per week for a van? Well that changes everything! So, WHERE do I find a 2 bedroom villa that sleeps 7? You're description of a non vacation really hit home. I had never thought about it that way, but I think that's where my dh is coming from. To not have to cook would be....shockingly wonderful!

Even though we get a 2 bedroom villa with a kitchen, we don't cook. We just want the space. I do laundry but no cooking. We just keep breakfast stuff and snacks, and drinks. I would have a hard time if someone made me cook. On days we aren't in a Disney park, we might order pizza at the pool instead of going out to eat but NO COOKING. Because then it wouldn't be a vacation for me.

Great point, thanks for chiming in. Wonderinf where you've been on site that sleeps 7?

They will not ask the age of your son. He can order off the kids' menu if he wants, no problem.

The only thing the age affects is the price of the dining plan, if you purchase it. There is a different price for children under age 9. Once they turn ten, they are charged the adult price for the dining plan, but even then they can order off of the kids' menu if they want.

If you have the free dining plan, it is all free, so no worries.

If you are not buying the dining plan but just paying as you go, your son can just order what he wants off of any part of the menu. He'll be fine!

Whew, what a relief!

Great point, thanks for chiming in. Wonderinf where you've been on site that sleeps 7?

I haven't stayed onsite at any place that sleeps 7. We're a family of 4.......... in fact, we're staying offsite in Sept, and getting two units as no one wants to sleep in the living room. We'll share a two bedroom with another couple, and my folks will have a separate unit. Poor kids are being left home (seriously) as they have other obligations and can't go. If the kids were going, they'd deal with sleeping in the living room.

Still wondering...where in WDW can we stay as a family of 7? Any villas?

I was interested too.  Here's a list from their website that should help you!  We've always gotten two connecting rooms, but now I want to consider a villa!

Deluxe Villa Resort Hotels – Sleeps Up to 8 or 9 Guests

Relish the roominess of Disney Deluxe Villa Resort hotels, which include one and two-bedroom villas. Each two-bedroom villa sleeps up to 8 Guests—and up to 9 at select locations—and includes home-like amenities such as a full kitchen, a whirlpool tub, DVD player, washer and dryer. Choose from locations in 8 delightful Deluxe Villa Resort Hotels:

Treehouse Villas at Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa – Sleeps Up to 9

The Treehouse Villas at Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort are stand-alone Disney Deluxe Villas nestled in natural forest glens just around the river bend from the bustling Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa. The 60 three-bedroom vacation homes—elevated 10 feet off the ground on pedestals and beams designed to blend into the lush wilderness environment—sleep 9 Guests and feature modern luxuries such as cathedral ceilings, granite countertops and flat-panel TVs.