Menu

History Odyssey Vol 2 with Usborne I-L History Encyclopedia?

I am considering using History Odyssey but my ds is 10 and starting 5th grade. I think Ancients Vol 2 would be best for him, BUT I already own the Usborne I-L History Encyclopedia. I do not have the Kingfisher book that they recommend. Has anyone mixed these two together. I realize I could just use Vol 1 which does use UILHE, but it doesn't have the same notebooking expectations as Vol 2 has.

Has anyone already tried this or know of any schedules already available. Hate reinventing the wheel!

Wendy

It shouldn't make any difference. You'll just have to align each assignment to the applicable pages in the encyclopedia you do own.

We gave up using the encyclopedia altogether in favor of a textbook, and we'll be doing the same this year. Combined with lots of supplementation--extra books, documentaries, projects and so on-- it should be a meaty enough year.

I agree with this, you can adapt it to fit your needs.  We use History Odyssey and I don't like "The Story of Mankind".  I use Human Odyssey and just align it and make adjustments I need.  We do have both the Usborne and Kingfisher Encyclopedias and I do agree that Kingfisher is a bit more advanced and meatier.

I haven't seen any schedules that align HO Level 2 Ancients with the Usborne I-L, but plenty of us have re-written the HO guides to use with other spines (the old white Kingfisher, the K-12 HO books, etc.). 

By the time I re-aligned everything, though, I wondered why I paid so much for the HO materials.  :huh: But they did help me figure out how to put my own plan together in future years -- complete with more books (less book writing & more book discussion) and more thinking/discussion. 

By the time I re-aligned everything, though, I wondered why I paid so much for the HO materials.  :huh: But they did help me figure out how to put my own plan together in future years -- complete with more books (less book writing & more book discussion) and more thinking/discussion. 

This is exactly what I'm thinking. Why do I want to pay all that money if I basically have to re-write all the assignments? I think I'll just use their sample pages as a guide and go through and set up my own schedule. I was hoping to avoid having to do that, but I'd rather save the money than the time.

Different sources, but I recently did this alignment with Human Odyssey 1 and the DK History-A Definitive Visual Guide (we've already used Usborne and Kingfisher previous cycles). I just opened up the DK book and for each 2-page spread figured out which chapter of Human Odyssey it would go with. Only took an hour or two.