Menu

I have both AAS and LoE (plus a few other things) and we stuck with Logic of English. It was kind of pricey getting started but now I'm all set for all of my kids. We use LoE and all the goodies I bought to go with it - I pretty much bought everything they had for sale because I wanted the whole shebang.  We absolutely love the program and can't imagine using anything else.  I don't know why but I never could get into AAS.  For some reason it was confusing to me but so many others use it successfully. I know it's a great program too but we just couldn't get it to work in our family.  

We are currently using Foundations A (4 almost 5 yo), Foundations C (6 yo), and Essentials (8 yo). We do use the magnetic phonogram tiles from AAS along with LoE.  

They are both excellent programs. I think AAS is more enticing to a child that enjoys workbooks, cutting and pasting, ect, while LOE appeals to the running, jumping, climbing trees sort.

I'm only almost done with level one, but so far there haven't been any workbooks, cutting, or pasting.  My dd does AAS sometimes laying on her belly on the kitchen chair with her feet kicking out behind her.  I don't know much about LOE, but AAS isn't workbooky.

I have both AAS and LoE (plus a few other things) and we stuck with Logic of English. It was kind of pricey getting started but now I'm all set for all of my kids. We use LoE and all the goodies I bought to go with it - I pretty much bought everything they had for sale because I wanted the whole shebang. We absolutely love the program and can't imagine using anything else. I don't know why but I never could get into AAS. For some reason it was confusing to me but so many others use it successfully. I know it's a great program too but we just couldn't get it to work in our family.

We are currently using Foundations A (4 almost 5 yo), Foundations C (6 yo), and Essentials (8 yo). We do use the magnetic phonogram tiles from AAS along with LoE.

I do the same with the tiles. Started out with AAR and then switched to LOE. No looking back. Started with the LOE teacher guide and have gradually ended up with most of the materials.

I'm only almost done with level one, but so far there haven't been any workbooks, cutting, or pasting. My dd does AAS sometimes laying on her belly on the kitchen chair with her feet kicking out behind her. I don't know much about LOE, but AAS isn't workbooky.

Sorry if that was vague. There is no tree climbing in LOE either ;). I meant that children that enjoy workbooky cut and paste in my experience also enjoy the tiny tiles in AAS. But tree climbing types may like the large motor activities in LOE. Perhaps that's an oversimplification, but it holds true to the children I know using both programs.

Question...are the spelling lists in LOE "enough" or do you have to add to it later?? That has been my one question....

There are advanced spelling lists, if that is what you are looking for.

If you need more practice with things there are games as well as the workbook activities.

BTW my tree climbers liked AAS. That is, until it became tediously slow and was too difficult to accelerate. They also dislike the LOE workbook (it's HUGE, and looks like lots of work but really isn't, so I started tearing out only the pages we are doing), but get through it.