Menu

What's with the ads?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nestof3

Just curious, organizing high schoolers

Do your high school students keep a binder for each subject? If not, care to share what other method you employ? :)

Mostly they keep a binder for each subject.

DS prefers to use a notebook for math.

DD has been taking notes in her classes on her tablet and has all her essays on the computer, so a lot is paperless.

Theoretically he has a binder for each subject. He also uses a regular spiral notebook for math. Theoretically he's supposed to file papers in his binders, realistically there is still a stack of last years papers in his file box in the classroom. 

No, we use 1 working binder that holds all material needed for the week. Finished material is placed in 'portfolio' binder. Some of my teens choose to use a spiral notebook for math.

I actually used the same technique for college. One slender binder held all the information I needed for my daily classes, and another thick binder held all completed material and tests.

Do your high school students keep a binder for each subject? If not, care to share what other method you employ? :)

Nice to "see" you again, Dawn :)

One large binder for each class stays at home. A smaller binder is used to transport weekly work to and from co-op classes.

A binder for each subject in high school.  Last dc wants to keep everything for each subject, so we will have 15+ binders at the end of this year.  On the one hand, I really think we should do some serious editing.  On the other hand, I am glad all of it means something. The others could care less.

We do composition books for those classes that require note taking, folders/binders depending on volume for classes which require work to be save, and a zippered binder for the current week's work.

It depends on the course. We sit down at the beginning of the year with a list of what they are taking and pick an organizational method for each.

Math usually ends up as a spiral bound graph paper notebook for doing homework assignments and a small binder for notes, tests, etc.

Everything else is usually either a binder or a folder, depending on the amount of paperwork involved.

Last year DS had one large binder for finished work. For every day use he had a couple subjects in their own binders, and the rest just had a spiral notebook. Math had a quad notebook.

This coming year looks similar. Between the two high schoolers there will be a handful of binders and spiral notebooks. Math goes in quad notebooks.

3-ring binders and loose-leaf college-ruled reinforced edge paper for most subjects.  Ds is a lefty and spiral notebooks do not work for him.  He does use sewn composition books on occasion. 

I usually copy the cover of the text and insert that into the clear view front of the binder for easy identification.

Robin

My son loves expandable file folders for all of his paperwork. He has a file for each subject. He also has a five subject notebook for note taking. Math has it's own spiral notebook.

My son loves expandable file folders for all of his paperwork. He has a file for each subject. He also has a five subject notebook for note taking. Math has it's own spiral notebook.

This was the preferred organizational method at my older kids' middle school. According to one of the teachers, organizing boys was the biggest challenge and they had given it a lot of thought. With three ring binders, you have to find the right tab, open the binder, and put the paper in. Accordion files eliminate messing with the rings. Students put the most recently completed work at the front of the appropriate section. There is a section for homework due that papers from all classes go into. Then there is the problem with the impatient child who rips his homework out of the binder and has no way to replace it. My oldest son used this method in high school and it helped to keep his completed papers off the bottom of his backpack.  Homeschoolers have the advantage that whatever we do, it doesn't have to be designed to be done in the 7 minute passing period between classes.

Thank you everyone for posting your methods. I hadn't thought about quad notebooks. Hmmmm. I'll see if my son would like one for math. He has been using loose leaf paper and has a stack of coordinate planes/graphing paper at the back of the clipboard.

1" binders for each subject and all old tests/papers/notes/homework are put in a box in case we need them later. They aren't filed or organized - just stacked in a plastic storage tote.  We have one for each year.