Menu

Open and Go, All in one (or mostly all in one) for 4 kids?

springmama

The title says it all.

My children are k, 1, 4, 6 and I am tired and needing something easy to implement that will still be complete.

I need daily lesson plans, classical cycle, open and go, with daily reading assignments for the kids. I want lots of literature but I want someone else to pick the books and assign daily reading assignments, especially for my two older kids. 

If it makes any difference, we're doing middle ages this year.

So far the only thing I can find that fits the bill would be MFW. I am very close to buying it or possibly even TOG (realizing there is planning involved with TOG).

Simply Charlotte Mason has bible, history, geography and lit (historical fiction usually) in their guides. The guides cover K-12 or 1st-12th and are on a 6 year history rotation. I liked the Romans and Middle Ages-Renaissance programs. I did not like Stories of America from the Early Modern Guide. It had a lot of fluff. Four days a week you do history as a family and each age group has their own enrichment book to read. One day a week you cover bible and geography.

We are using some separate products but all open and go for my 4.  We are using History Odyssey for the second year.  I use 2 levels of it to get all of my kids (grades preK, 2, 4 and 7).  My oldest uses it pretty independently as far as reading, and there are literature and some writing assignments in there.  My others use level 1.   Science Elemental Science for oldest 2, Sassafras for younger.  Both those have additional lit if I want to use it or not if too tired that week.  Teaching Textbooks for math this year after trying it for one child last year.  LOF for interest.  Growing with Grammar for Grammar.  Youngers have spelling, none for oldest.  Writing I'm covering with the assignments in History Odyssey and a few extra things.  Little extras here and there but that is the meat of it.

PreK gets Moving Beyond the Page 4-5 as well as her integration is the hardest with being so far behind the next up right now. 

We tried TOG in the past, and it was harder than my piecemeal approach.  Sonlight before that even but got too hard with my age span.  Each subject separately but scheduled for me in basic format was easier than finding an overall to fit us. 

The title says it all.

My children are k, 1, 4, 6 and I am tired and needing something easy to implement that will still be complete.

I need daily lesson plans, classical cycle, open and go, with daily reading assignments for the kids. I want lots of literature but I want someone else to pick the books and assign daily reading assignments, especially for my two older kids. 

If it makes any difference, we're doing middle ages this year.

So far the only thing I can find that fits the bill would be MFW. I am very close to buying it or possibly even TOG (realizing there is planning involved with TOG).

I like MFW a lot but it does NOT have daily reading assignments; that's the one thing we miss from our years of Sonlight.  I have been just assigning books, but my 10 year old is hard to keep on it without constant reminding--I need to make him a spreadsheet, and that's not work I want to do :)

If you are a little Charlotte Mason-y, MFW could be a good fit--my boys will be 6th and 5th this year, and I will also have a K.  I had thought I would re-use my old Sonlight Core A with the little guy, but seeing how much time everything takes, I think I will integrate him a little into our MFW stuff and then read him some SL books at bedtime, do his own phonics and math stuff but not a whole core.

I really like using MFW because it is somewhat light in feel.  We add in some read-alouds and we discuss the topics.  It covers probably half of the content as Sonlight did but it gives us time to breathe, absorb what we've read, add in IF WE WANT TO (but we don't have to)--and my boys are learning a lot.  But it's not a good fit for some BECAUSE it comes across as not having as much or as deep of content.  Totally different feel.

I plan virtually nothing--I look at the next week on Friday, highlight the main stuff in my TG, very rarely do I have to "gather anything" (sometimes for science or I have to scan a couple of pages for Art).  Then for the week, it's open and go.  I don't usually get book basket books because we have plenty of books left around from doing Sonlight Cores P 3/4 through Core D.

Betsy

What about just using story of the world 2 with the activity guide/pages? You could even order the audio CDs so the kiddos and you could listen to the chapter instead of you having to read it ?

I love story of the world. Honestly, it is the only History that actually gets done at my house. I have tried others, believe me, and I always go back to it. You can do as much, or as little as you want of the activity guide. It also has a suggested reading list to go with as well.