Menu

What about Foreign Languages???

I am looking for a Spanish 1 program to start with my son this year (8th grade). I have NO IDEA where to look for these programs or how they are rated. Has anyone successfully taught their student Spanish 1 using a curriculum and not an online or a classroom class?

I have not done this with Spanish, but we have managed a successful path with French and they have parallel materials for Spanish.   Dd used Breaking the Barrier French for grammar combined with French in Action for more immersion type learning.

BtB sells Spanish as well.  The Spanish version of FiA is called  Destinos.   http://www.learner.org/resources/series75.html

Looks like Destinos may have been updated.  Not sure what the difference is.  http://www.learner.org/resources/series151.html

We knew my dd was headed to our public school for high school. At one of their open house nights I asked what they use for Spanish 1 and then we used that curriculum over 7th and 8th grade so dd will be able to go into Spanish 2 as a freshman. It doesn't really approach language study the way I would like to (not much grammar, and for a kid with many years of Latin under her belt I would prefer more info on conjugation, etc.), but I know that dd has the same background as other kids going into Spanish 2 at this school. I have 4 years of high school Spanish background; enough to guide her through this Spanish 1. The program is Realidades--I got textbook and workbook from Amazon. Again, not my first choice of a great program, but at least it got us going.

You must check out Getting Started With Spanish by Linney!  :thumbup1:

It's very clear and open-and-go. I haven't yet seen another curriculum that made foreign language so easy to learn.

We used Latin this past year, and will use Spanish in the fall. We're also eagerly awaiting the release of French this winter.

Thanks for the replies...Has anyone used Galore Park's "So You Really Want to Learn..." series? I'm also looking at Latin Prep. Thoughts or comments appreciated!

I have used this for French and my love for it is well documented on these boards. It's a great program. It helps if you speak a little of the language yourself though.

You must check out Getting Started With Spanish by Linney! :thumbup1:

It's very clear and open-and-go. I haven't yet seen another curriculum that made foreign language so easy to learn.

We used Latin this past year, and will use Spanish in the fall. We're also eagerly awaiting the release of French this winter.

What? They have a Getting Started with French? I am so getting it! I studied French for three years and would love my sons to do some French, too. They both did Getting Started with Latin and Getting Started with Spanish before going on to Lively Latin 1 and Duolingo Spanish. OP, you can also check out the free Duolingo Spanish. Some people use it the same time they use Getting Started with Spanish.

Thanks for the replies...Has anyone used Galore Park's "So You Really Want to Learn..." series? I'm also looking at Latin Prep. Thoughts or comments appreciated!

We are using French. It's an excellent program. Do you speak Spanish. It could be hard to implement without any knowledge of the language.