Menu

We're moving to Fort Walton Beach area, FL!

El...

Any advice?  We are moving from one warm, temperate area in the southwest to another warm temperate area in the southeast!  And there they have grass, trees, and beaches!  Lucky us.  :) 

How is the housing market?  We lean toward renting because we don't know how long we'll be there. 

Are there homeschool groups you'd recommend there?  Anything I should prepare now for our homeschool registration with the district? 

Anyone know a good Taikwondo dojang in that area?

Thanks!

I have a more specific question for Floridians, please: my dd will be 7yo when we get there in October.  I will have to wait until we find a new home to have an address to register with the district.  If I'm reading the instructions right, I'll need to send in the certified teacher's letter by anniversary of that registration the following October (2015), right? 

Is that all?  Is there a "start" evaluation?  How would a certifier know that she'd made appropriate progress without a starting point?  Do they just base the first contact on the norms for her age/grade?  Or do I show the progress via the portfolio?  ("Here's a sample of her handwriting in August 2014, and here is where she is now... she's learning cursive now..."?)

She is on grade level to somewhat advanced.  I'm not particularly worried about her making the right progress, but I don't want to drop the ball on the paperwork.

I have a more specific question for Floridians, please: my dd will be 7yo when we get there in October.  I will have to wait until we find a new home to have an address to register with the district.  If I'm reading the instructions right, I'll need to send in the certified teacher's letter by anniversary of that registration the following October (2015), right? 

Another option to homeschool in FL is to register with an umbrella school.  The one I am registered with is free and allows you complete freedom to choose what you do with your children.  Since I moved here from Texas, I was used to that freedom and did not want to have to jump through hoops for the county.  This option allows you to use FLVS (if you want) without having to take any state tests, but you cannot participate in school sports/clubs unless you are registered with the county.  PM me if you want the name.

There isnt a start evaluation. I registered in August and each year our portfolio reviews are due in August. Our review papers say child's name, address, grade. And then the evaluator marks one of two boxes, either made sufficient progress or did not make sufficient progress.

Thank you all very much!  That sounds like it will work out fine. 

CinV, I think we'll register through the district for now.  We might like a sports option at some point. 

I'm glad I asked.  I love these forums.  :)