Menu

Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading vs Teach Your Child To Read In 100 Easy Lessons

faiths13

I'm wondering if anyone has used both of these? If so, can you compare them for me? I am trying to choose a program for my son who is 6, almost 7. I also have a son who is 4, almost 5 who will need to start phonics. My 6 year old has done Explode the Code and Reading Eggs. It has gone fine and he can read short words, but he doesn't know the rules of reading. For example, so and do. They look like they should sound the same, but don't. And I don't know how to teach him this without help. Thanks!

I haven't used both, but looked over 100 easy lessons and did not like the odd font, dots, confusing page layout. OPGTR is a great thourough program. It is all the phonics you will need all in one book unlike 100 easy lessons.

• Like 2

With OPGTR or Phonics Pathways I've never supplemented with a workbook. One of my kids was especially very reluctant to write unless needed, so I was glad that I didn't have that in the way of learning how to read. So it's definitely not needed. And yes, it begins with learning letter sounds.

• Like 1

I haven't used both, but looked over 100 easy lessons and did not like the odd font, dots, confusing page layout. OPGTR is a great thourough program. It is all the phonics you will need all in one book unlike 100 easy lessons.

I agree with this. I started with 100EZ but dropped it immediately. The fonts were confusing and it didn't look thorough. HOP worked well for my DS but did not teach all phonics rules, either. I recently got the OPGTR and am happy that it goes far and deep in a gentle manner. I was surprised, even after completing HOP 2nd grade level, I'd still have about a half of the contents in OPGTR to teach. I like its scripted nature, too.

ETA: We'll move on to AAS, FLL and WWE when we finish OPGTR. I've supplemented phonics with other LA programs such as Kumon workbooks (instead of ETC), HWOT workbooks and BOB Books. For letter sounds, Leapfrog's Letter Factory DVD is a fun way to start IMO.

I agree with the PPs. I didn't use 100 easy... but looked at it in a bookstore and just thought it looked weird. I used OPGTR with my first DS and it worked well. It starts at the very beginning with letter sounds. I did find it boring, but effective. With my current DS we are using Memoria Press First Start Reading. I especially like the way they implement spelling/dictation with the current words the child is reading, such as spelling at, mat, Sam, etc.

I checked both of those and Phonics Pathways out of the library to preview before we started phonics. I preferred Phonics Pathways to both if them. OPGTR would have been my second choice. I was not impressed by 100 Easy Lessons. The other two seemed easier to use and more thorough.

I used both. Started 100EZ  with a 5 year old who didn't know any letter sounds and totally failed. There was no where near enough practice for him to go from sounding out single words to comprehending sentences. I later learned how children need to be able to read all the words in a sentence in a certain amount of time for comprehension of the whole and that is what we were missing. OPGTR is very logical organized. It is also progressive, so if your child is struggling with something there are clearly defined sections you can hang out in until that developmental readiness shows up. The first 26 lessons teach letter sounds. Next comes short vowel cvc words, then ending blends, beginning blends, long vowels, etc. You can probably figure out where to jump in if you have a child who is already reading a bit. The "Look Inside" preview on Amazon is really really generous so you should be able to take a peek and figure out if it is right for you. 

• Like 1

OPG, hands down. 100EZ has the weirdest methodology to me...as a visual person those pages just made my eyes scream. Plus, it doesn't teach all the phonograms!! After OPG, a kid knows all their phonograms and can sound out anything. I supplemented with Explode the Code with both of mine but only because they like workbooks.

• Like 1

I have both books but used OPGTR -  100 easy lessons does have good exercises to introduce the concept of blending which were useful, but OPGTR uses proper fonts and letters from the beginning which I prefer and it also goes further which means only one book is needed to get to a level where the child can read almost anything (I believe it is a 4th grade reading level by the end though moving beyond that has never been an issue with my child).

You can use OPGTR for a child who does not know letter sounds, though the size of the print is a bit small and it may be better to teach the letters using something in addition to OPGTR - eg Starfall or the print outs from a letter of the week currciulum (there are numerous) or just focusing on the letter taught in OPGTR and pointing out that letter all over the place - in supermarkets, on road signs etc.

As for 6 year olds and spelling - there are two thoughts: 1) teach reading and spelling together - Spalding is often used here. Or wait until the child is reading well (usually about halfway through OPGTR) and then start a spelling curriculum. Both  methods can be successfully used - so your choice will depend on how much time you have, how your child responds to writing and also whether you prioritise reading over spelling or not at this age. Whichever you choose will be fine. The 6 year old may need to start OPGTR beyond the cvc words and possibly go through the blends very quickly if he can manage these as well.  

• Like 1

I have used all three books mentioned. I agree with what everyone said about the fonts in 100EZ lessons. It was confusing and dd had trouble reading it.

Phonics Pathways worked well for us and since OPGR was not published yet, it was the best choice at the time.

When OPGR was published I began using it and all these many years later, I'm still using it. I am teaching my youngest to read.

Here are some of the reasons I like it the best.

- It teaches phonics to a 4th grade level. It is a complete and thorough program

- Additional readers are not required. There is a story or at least reading practice in each lesson.

- It is helpfully scripted for those who have not taught phonics before and the script is easily skipped/scanned by a more confident teacher.

- it is easily adapted to different learning styles, and has lots of opportunity to review concepts.

The only con is that some of my children didn't like reading from the book. So I adapted my lessons so that they were handwritten or typed out. This was a pro for some kids as we made up our own books, drew pictures, and did copy work from the lessons.

• Like 3

I looked at Phonics Pathways at a store today, but I was confused by how it started with vowels and then moved into blending. It never went over the rest of the alphabet first...

Hmmm... My kids already knew all their basic letter sounds from the Leapfrog Letter Factory DVD. So we really started with blends, after doing a quick vowel review. I guess I'll change that to my recommendation, then--Letter Factory, then Phonics Pathways.

• Like 2

When DS was 4, we did 100 Easy Lessons. I never looked at OPG, so I can't tell you there.

What I liked about 100 Easy Lessons is that it taught my spazzy 4 year old to read. He didn't get all the phonograms that year, but the flip side of that was that he experienced steady and easy successes in reading. Once he was reading that year, he was able to intuitively read words he had no phonogram knowledge of.

When he was 5-1/2 we began phonics and spelling and he got all those phonograms, which did lead to sounding out more difficult words. But even now I think the exposure to books, lots of words (read alouds), etc has done more for his reading ability than phonics. Spelling, that's another story.

100 Easy Lessons worked with my oldest, who was so ready to read that probably anything would have worked. It was a failure with my middle child, who went through the whole thing, still couldn't read, but has blossomed with OPGTR. My little guy is like my oldest and could probably learn with anything, but I'm taking no chances and going through OPGTR with him, so far so good.

I've taught 2 to read with 100ez. It was easy and they had no problem transitioning from the "weird" symbols to the normal letters. We finish the book and then go through the recommended books afterwards. Both read above grade level (ds8 finished up The Hobbit a few weeks ago) One person stated there wasn't enough review, and I agree, but I simply made flash cards that we reviewed often. Consistency is really the key to learning to read. Haven't used the other program, but wanted to throw a successful review in the mix :)

I know a lot of people don't like 100 EZ lessons, but I have used it successfully twice and am now using it successfully for a third time.  Both of my girls read well above grade level (8th grader reads at a college level and fourth grader with autism reads at an 8th grade level).  I am now teaching my very speech delayed autistic 4 year old son to read with it as well.  He is doing really well with it and even pulls it out to learn more (as my daughters did).  Say what you want, that book works!

I also used 100EZ lessons - with three kids - OPGTR came out after I'd already used 100EZ lessons with one kid, so I bought it for the second kid and found myself going back to 100 EZ lessons - that was 10 years ago, and I can't remember exactly what I didn't like about OPGTR - so this probably isn't super helpful, bu I did want to chime in with my support for 100EZ lessons, since it seems to get such negative reviews here..

• 7 months later...

I'm wondering if anyone has used both of these? If so, can you compare them for me? I am trying to choose a program for my son who is 6, almost 7. I also have a son who is 4, almost 5 who will need to start phonics. My 6 year old has done Explode the Code and Reading Eggs. It has gone fine and he can read short words, but he doesn't know the rules of reading. For example, so and do. They look like they should sound the same, but don't. And I don't know how to teach him this without help. Thanks!

Sorry but what program the "Teaching Reading" is? First I thought by it you mean "Teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons", but the tittle says that I am wrong.

Thank you.