Menu

Microscope

I am looking to purchase a microscope that will last through high school. My daughter is 12 now and enjoys science.  I plan on us using it a lot, so I know I want a binocular scope, mechanical stage, iris diaphragm, and possibly even an oil immersion lens. I've looked at quite a few, but I can't make up my mind.   I would like a good quality and solid microscope that my daughter will enjoy using and will last for a while, but I don't want to spend a fortune.  Any suggestions? Thanks!

When I was shopping last summer for a microscope with all of those features except being binocular, Amscope had the best prices of any that I saw. The one that we ended up buying is better quality than what I used in my college biology labs.

You say your daughter enjoys science -- Are you sure you have a budding microbiologist? You may want to spend some of your science budget on a stethoscope, a chemistry set, geology field kit, telescope, science camps, etc. My own budding scientist is turning out to be a planetary scientist, so not much use for a microscope there.

Even if a microscope is appropriate, you may want to have a less high-end microscope, and pair it with a dissecting microscope (good for things like looking at things you don't want to slice into tiny pieces, such as an entire moth, crystals in rocks, etc.) or a field microscope (we had so much fun taking our plastic microscope out to the lake or beach when my kids were younger).

ETA: I'm not trying to spoil the fun. I just think that people who have spent a lot of time on microscope sites tend to lose the bigger perspective as they get caught up in all the cool features of the higher end microscopes. "Microscopy" and "science" are not the same thing, and even within microscopy, there is a lot of good science you can do with less powerful microscopes that a high end microscope isn't actually all that great for.

Thank you for the microscope suggestions and the links to the threads.  It looks like I have some more research to do!

JanetC, thanks for the great ideas. We do have a telescope, and we did some chemistry last year.  I honestly think she could go in any direction as far as her interest in the sciences.  She has shown some interest in chemistry, marine biology, space, forensic and life science. We live near the ocean, so there is some real opportunity for exposure to marine biology.  She has even talked to some interns studying marine biology at a local place that cares for dolphins, sea lions, etc. However, this past year she has really become more interested in forensic science, so I decided to go with life science since we did some chemistry last year.  I am very comfortable in the life sciences as I am a Medical Laboratory Scientist and also have a degree in microbiology.  Realizing that this may not be her passion, I definitely want her exposed to all areas of science and to find her niche so that she develops a love for whatever area she chooses.  And, who knows, she may steer away from science and do something completely different. :001_unsure:  

I really just wanted some of those features on a microscope to make life a little easier while using it.  I love your idea about the dissecting microscope!  I think that would be great addition as well.