Menu

Usborne elementary human body lesson plans?

Guest Eachar

Guest Eachar

I'll be a brand new homeschooler, with a 1st grade daughter and a 4th grade son (and a toddler). I'd like to study the human body for 10-12 weeks, and I already have many usborne books, so it would be ideal to be able to use them. It makes me nervous as a newbie to not have a lesson plan, and I don't feel confident or have time to make my own.

Any advice?

Thanks!

If you have a copy of the Well Trained Mind (WTM), SWB has outlined a plan in the science chapter. Look in the section about 1st grade science.

Basically you would pick a topic for each week, read from your Usborne book, have your children narrate to you what they learned, then supplement with additional books on the same topic. You could do a project, play a game, or watch a video too where appropriate.

Having said that, I haven't actually used this process yet, but I do intend to teach science the way it's laid out in the WTM to my 1st grader this year.

I basically read from a science encyclopedia or from a picture book or two, narrate, and do some combo of notebooking/project/experiment. We did animals that way last yr and are moving onto anatomy next year. PM me your email and I'd be happy to share my (15 wk) lesson plans. I picked the books based mostly off my library's availability, and the plans are geared toward my 1st and Ker but still, might be a reference?

I'm using the My Body book for my 1st grader for more "hands-on" when we get to human anatomy this year.

http://www.amazon.com/Body-Science-Books-Patty-Carratello/dp/1557342113/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405721723&sr=8-1&keywords=my+body

Even your 4th grader could do it. Or do this one instead:

http://www.amazon.com/Body-Book-Easy-Make-Hands/dp/0545048737/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3TJVJMBQL014A

My 5th grader is using Sonlight Science F 4 Day for boys (5th) and Apologia Anatomy but I am considering having him also "build" a large human body.  I will have him use The Body Book for smaller models.

Elemental Science has a unit on the human body in Biology for the grammar stage:

http://www.elementalscience.com/biology-for-the-grammar-stage

We started this and got through a few lessons then my kids decided they wanted to study chemistry for a while. We actually used the Usborne Complete Book of the Human Body book rather than the one listed and it worked out fine. The Usborne books are lovely. I do think that you can also just read the book on its own and notebook about it without lesson plans, as previous posters suggested!