Menu

PSA Do NOT drop kittens off on farms!!!

creekland

*** Updated pics in Posts #96 + 97 ***  Jo-Jo looks awesome 6 months later!

Cats are territorial!  Farms generally already HAVE cats.  Kittens won't get a chance at a good home - they will DIE!

We got home from a short trip today and I walked down to check on our chickens.  I was met by a scrawny black kitten meowing non-stop and running up to me.  Evidently, someone has dropped him (and who knows how many siblings) off - who knows when.  He's thin.

His neck has a bit of fur missing and a laceration.  He's "lucky" he survived the fight.  Because he has been following me around non-stop, begging, I've posted a craigslist ad (I know about free homes, but it's the only "chance" he has) and called a couple of longshot people - very longshot - esp being injured.

He's very comfortable around people and in my house.  He's trying hard to get in my lap as I type.  But he can't live here.  I can't keep him separate from my cats and he's lucky he survived his first encounter.

If he doesn't get a longshot, very lucky, golden ticket, I'm going to have to have hubby put him down.

If you raise kittens - esp such nice mannered kittens - find homes for them.  Dropping them off on a farm is NOT it.  Don't condemn them to that fate or make us do your dirty work!   :cursing:

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish I lived near you so I could take him. He sounds like a sweetie. :001_wub:

He is literally the sweetest most loving kitten I have ever met.  Since he can't get in my lap he settled for a chair right next to me.  It may be the first good nap he's had in a while.

Honestly?  It's the only reason he's survived this long.  I truly feel sorry for him.  If he weren't so insistent... thin, with an injury (albeit he's getting around fine!)... we'd just be angry and do what needs to be done quickly rather than making him suffer.

I've no idea how many dead siblings are out there undiscovered as of yet.  Adult cats are NOT humane.  They guard their territory rather jealously.  Adults get a tussle.  Kittens don't generally make it and it's not pretty.   :sad:

Ditto for dumping kittens at any other location!  A few weeks ago four tiny kittens were found taped inside a Fedex box and thrown into a recycle bin. Fortunately they were rescued on that hot, humid evening and good homes found for all.

I've no idea how many dead siblings are out there undiscovered as of yet.  Adult cats are NOT humane.  They guard their territory rather jealously.  Adults get a tussle.  Kittens don't generally make it and it's not pretty.   :sad:

My male cat is extremely territorial. Last week a man was walking by with his large dog and mentioned how brave my cat was. The next moment said kitty tore off the porch and chased that big dog off. It's going to be a bad day when he meets up with a big dog that's not on a leash.

This makes me so angry!  We live on a dairy farm and for years people were constantly tossing (yes, you read that right) their animals out of their cars as they drove by.

Baby kittens, adult cats with no claws, baby puppies, elderly dogs who should have been put down peacefully.  So, heartless and cruel!

I was so angry once, I chased the one truck down the road in my car.  I couldn't get the license plate.  I wanted hubby to make a huge sign so I could write on it and tell people what I thought of them for dumping their animals off.  He was afraid other people would actually get the idea and we'd end up with more animals.

Strike one with the first call... :(

I do wish some of you lived closer.  He's such a sweetheart.  I know if we took him to any rescue they'd just put him down though - since he's thin and injured.  They have so many without "issues," but I doubt any have as much of his "love you" attitude. (sigh)

I also wish many of you didn't have similar first hand experiences.

Our older cat died yesterday. :-( If I lived near you, I would consider taking him.

Sorry about your older guy.  I love all of my animals and it's really hard when they pass on.  I hardly even know this kitten and it's going to be difficult the way he's weaseled into my heart.  If I thought my cats would accept him, I'd keep him, but I'm pretty certain they're the culprits who injured him and next time they won't likely "miss."

Yes!! Since we moved to the farm 6 years ago we've had so many cats dropped off while I was out running errands. Why do people think that just because we live on a farm I can afford to feed an endless amount of cats?!? My barn is right next to the house, the cats sit at my back door and meow for food incessantly! Don't leave me with your mess, I and not a freaking cat shelter! Over the winter we had a lot of cats show up and one had kittens- there are 7 cats here now and I have to go to the hassle of bringing them to the humane society. Frustrated!

We don't live on a farm but we have had to rescue over 30 kittens and cats because people don't get their pets fixed and unwanted animals are abundant.  And cats ARE territorial.  So many show up thin, injured, some so stressed they shave off their own fur (like biting your nails).  Many are killed but many are badly injured and linger for days.  Really heartbreaking.  And Feline Aids and Feline Leukemia are rampant here because no one vaccinates for the second and they don't put their pet down or isolate it if they contract the first.

Creekland, I sympathize.  Keeping my fingers crossed that someone will take the kitten.  Any chance you could keep it isolated until the wound heals then put it at the rescue shelter?  We've done that before and it worked out o.k. but we had a spare bathroom we could keep him in when we weren't with him so he didn't get attacked.

+1.

We used to find dead kittens all the time in the winter. The pigs ate them.

If you have unwanted kittens you can't rehome, have the *****, I mean the intestinal fortitude to do what needs to be done yourself instead of tossing them out somewhere to starve/freeze/be killed by an older cat.

My mom lives in the country and see this happen all the time. It's such a shame. One time when I was visiting with my older daughter we stopped by the creek so I could show her where we used to play in the creek when I was a kid visiting my grandparents' farm. We saw a young man holding a kitten starting to walk down the path to the creek and I stopped him and asked if he was going to abandon the kitten there. Of course he said no, but I didn't believe him. I said if he didn't want the kitten I'd take it to my mom, so he gave it to me. I knew my mom wouldn't be able to resist him.

He is 18 years old now.

My mom sees kitties all the time. Sadly, she can't afford to take them in, nor does she want to become the crazy country cat lady with hundreds of cats.

My mom is rural and she 'ends up' with cats all the time. Her nearby cousin is a vet. She keeps the cats outdoors and keeps feeding them. Her cousin keeps fixing the new additions. They're both pushovers and it doesn't seem sustainable, but they live far from me and the cats seem happy with the arrangement.

PrairieSong, I'm so sorry about your cat. Our old male is nearly fourteen, and I know his days are numbered. I'm not looking forward to that.

Creekland, for multiple reasons, I am just not up for another cat, or I'd have a bunch of kids at your doorstep tomorrow, begging for the chance to name him. He sounds sweet! But we really just can't handle another pet right now.

Strike one with the first call... :(

I do wish some of you lived closer. He's such a sweetheart. I know if we took him to any rescue they'd just put him down though - since he's thin and injured. They have so many without "issues," but I doubt any have as much of his "love you" attitude. (sigh)

I also wish many of you didn't have similar first hand experiences.

There are no-kill shelters where they are helped, even with injuries. My dd volunteers at one. They just got some orphaned kittens. One has a ruptured eye and will be blind or half-blind.

Though I am not suggesting you go to great lengths to find a no-kill location for the kitty. Poor thing. I have the same unfortunate experience from MIL's farm. Kittens rarely survived, except for the couple we took into our homes as our pets.

There are no kill shelters.

I don't know what it's like in your area, but over here no kill shelters and cat rescues are usually full up, with a backlog. You call them to say you have a rescue cat, and they say "Any chance you can foster him for a few days/weeks/months? We'll get back to you when we have space!" No, I cannot foster him for a few days/weeks/months, that's how I ended up with four cats in the first place! (And the other three don't yet like newbie cat.)

There are shelters that HAVE to take your animal if you show up with it... but of course, those are all kill shelters. They have to be!

Leaving a cat in the country. Stupid. There's less food in the country!

Thats how we got our kitty.. I assume he was dumped as we tried but couldn't find the owner. He wasn't a kitten but was obviously a very young cat still. He walked right up to my kids playing in the driveway and just moved in with us LOL. He was rail thin but very healthy otherwise.

DH and I have allergies and we rent so we weren't looking to adopt a pet but his personality was so beautiful I couldn't bear to take him to our local shelter which only keeps them 3 days before killing them.

He is very territorial though...runs any other cat off our property which is probably good though as I couldn't keep any more.

We live rural too.

We know someone who lives off one of the main roads leading out of our town into the country and he says he constantly sees dumped pets. Often people dump out the whole pet taxi and leave the door open.

We've never had a pet taxi dropped off... that would set a new "record."  There was one time when folks dropped off four adult cats, four kittens, and a bag of cat food - all tame and bewildered.  We found them in our barn.  Those did get lucky.  Neighbors of ours had relatives who had just bought a farm and needed cats.  They took the four adults and were thrilled when one had a mouse within a few minutes.  The kittens my boys took to a local horse auction and gave away - so I guess I don't really know if they got lucky or not - but they weren't killed here.  However, all of those were healthy.

With this guy having his neck injury (that stinks and is likely infected I suspect), he's not going to be lucky (sigh).  I'd have had a home for him if he were healthy, but not needing vet bills.

Creekland, I sympathize.  Keeping my fingers crossed that someone will take the kitten.  Any chance you could keep it isolated until the wound heals then put it at the rescue shelter?  We've done that before and it worked out o.k. but we had a spare bathroom we could keep him in when we weren't with him so he didn't get attacked.

We only have one bathroom here as it is and we need to be traveling again VERY soon taking my boys to their respective colleges.  I have antibiotic for humans and equines, but I hesitate to use either on him as cats tend to clean themselves...

There are no-kill shelters where they are helped, even with injuries. My dd volunteers at one. They just got some orphaned kittens. One has a ruptured eye and will be blind or half-blind.

Though I am not suggesting you go to great lengths to find a no-kill location for the kitty. Poor thing. I have the same unfortunate experience from MIL's farm. Kittens rarely survived, except for the couple we took into our homes as our pets.

There used to be a no kill shelter around that I heard about some years ago.  I don't know if they are still around or not.  I know when we called them other times (years ago) about drop offs they were full and couldn't take anymore.

He has one last slim chance that I'm waiting on.  Otherwise, hubby is ready to do what needs to be done.  He's not at all happy about it, of course (the drop offs and having to take care of it), but it will be kinder to the kitten than letting nature take its course either with his neck or facing the adult cats.

PrairieSong, I'm so sorry about your cat. Our old male is nearly fourteen, and I know his days are numbered. I'm not looking forward to that.

Creekland, for multiple reasons, I am just not up for another cat, or I'd have a bunch of kids at your doorstep tomorrow, begging for the chance to name him. He sounds sweet! But we really just can't handle another pet right now.

I completely understand.  If circumstances were different, I'd see what I could do for him myself, but circumstances aren't different and the cat I think is responsible won't suddenly listen to reason about "this" kitten.  That only happens in Disney movies and equivalent.

Some people just shouldn't be allowed pets. I understand though you just can't look after every animal so jerk chooses to dump on you.

What kind of cat has no claws? I don't think I have heard of a breed without claws (several without brains though).

Some people just shouldn't be allowed pets. I understand though you just can't look after every animal so jerk chooses to dump on you.

What kind of cat has no claws? I don't think I have heard of a breed without claws (several without brains though).

The type that's had its first knuckle joints removed because it was scratching the couch and thus should never, ever be allowed outside.

Circumstances aren't different and the cat I think is responsible won't suddenly listen to reason about "this" kitten.

Cats can be taught to acclimate to a new kitty, I've done it, I'm in the process of doing it now (with some success - over a period of three months, not counting the confinement period, they've moved from snarling and attacking on sight to growling slightly and averting their gaze because if you don't see the other cat it's like he's not even there, and I've occasionally caught Newbie Cat and the other boycat snuggling like they're friends, but only when they're outside the house). But it's not *easy* by any stretch of the imagination, and I wouldn't want to try it with one that's already injured.

Also, I'm told cats are, on average, more territorial in rural areas than in urban areas due to both less food per cat and also less cats around that you have to share with.

We used to live by a church, out in the country. Animals would get dumped there frequently. I called a local no kill shelter once and his attitude was, "Can't you get someone to adopt the animals? That would be the Christian thing to do." I think I responded with, "Excuse me?! Most of the people here in the church have pets already or are poor/elderly and cannot be burdened with taking on animals that other people dumped." What nerve!

We used to live by a church, out in the country. Animals would get dumped there frequently. I called a local no kill shelter once and his attitude was, "Can't you get someone to adopt the animals? That would be the Christian thing to do." I think I responded with, "Excuse me?! Most of the people here in the church have pets already or are poor/elderly and cannot be burdened with taking on animals that other people dumped." What nerve!

In my ideal life I'd fund a huge animal shelter for any animal in need and staff it by paying animal lovers who wanted to work there any number of hours.

I'd also fund education for everyone who wanted to go and showed the initiative to do well while there.

And I'd make sure everyone got any medical care they needed with no worries about cost.

And any left over without jobs would have funding and/or training until they got something.

Then I wake up... and realize we can do some small steps of the above, but not everything I'd like to do in my dreams.  (sigh)

In the meantime, I've been checking lost & found ads locally - and posted a found ad - just in case he is lost.  He's definitely well socialized, but ended up in a bad situation somehow.

I have a dear friend who WILL NOT SPAY her female cat.  I've even offered to take her to the vet for her.  

She's allowed to roam in and out of the house at will so is in a constant state of heat/bred/mothering.  I literally can not count how many litters that poor cat has had in the last few years.  

My friend always "finds good homes" for the kittens.  Except usually those good homes are to we friends and family in the country and the kittens are slowly picked off by hawks, coyotes, etc. before they are ever full grown, since mama's not still around to teach them to be safe.  :(  

It is horrifying that people do this.  If you are responsible for a litter of kittens, HOW DARE YOU dump that off on someone else and make them possibly suffer the pain of having to put the kittens down, or take them to a shelter where you know they will be put down.

The lack of responsibility in allowing a cat to get pregnant or continue unspayed is bad enough.  But then to dump that off on someone else is a whole new level.  That makes me sick.

I'm sorry, Creekland and all you others that have had that happen.

My parents live out in the country and two healthy but tiny kittens just showed up on their doorstep. We are pretty sure they were dumped.

Fortunately the two outdoor cats(that also "showed up" as babies) have left them alone and the two kittens are happily living on the porch.

This is not the usual ending, and I can't believe people do it. But I also can't believe people who don't spay/neuter.

It is horrifying that people do this.  If you are responsible for a litter of kittens, HOW DARE YOU dump that off on someone else and make them possibly suffer the pain of having to put the kittens down, or take them to a shelter where you know they will be put down.

The lack of responsibility in allowing a cat to get pregnant or continue unspayed is bad enough.  But then to dump that off on someone else is a whole new level.  That makes me sick.

I'm sorry, Creekland and all you others that have had that happen.

This happens at least a couple of times per year.  Quite honestly, the kittens are usually scared of everything and anything and are easy prey for any sort of hunter or they run off and likely starve if not caught by a hunter first.  My cats are likely responsible for running them off to be blatantly honest.

I felt bad once when a young girl in a nearby rental house caught one of the drop off kittens, then brought it over to our farm thinking it must be ours.  She got to see that one die... (we were NOT home)  Her dad chewed us out a little, but we explained to him that it wasn't our kitten and our cats don't accept others. This is just life.  Disney (et al) are not.  She learned a hard lesson that day - one I would have liked to have avoided.

I normally don't post about such things as we usually just shake our heads and feel sorry for the kittens - but they aren't easily catchable since they are scared and soon disappear.

This guy is just, well, something else.  It's like he's a dog in a cat body.  He's insistent that he get his people time and fearful of nothing.  He followed me down to do chicken chores this morning and went right in with the chickens... then wolfed down some moldy bread that was in with their feed (did I mention we just returned from a short trip?).  I'll admit to wondering about penicillin in the mold and wondered if he was instinctively eating it?  I can't imagine it would do any good though.

He left cat food I had offered him to follow me to the chicken coop.  He wants his own person.  Poor guy.  He's napping now.

Cats are territorial! Farms generally already HAVE cats. Kittens won't get a chance at a good home - they will DIE!

We got home from a short trip today and I walked down to check on our chickens. I was met by a scrawny black kitten meowing non-stop and running up to me. Evidently, someone has dropped him (and who knows how many siblings) off - who knows when. He's thin.

His neck has a bit of fur missing and a laceration. He's "lucky" he survived the fight. Because he has been following me around non-stop, begging, I've posted a craigslist ad (I know about free homes, but it's the only "chance" he has) and called a couple of longshot people - very longshot - esp being injured.

He's very comfortable around people and in my house. He's trying hard to get in my lap as I type. But he can't live here. I can't keep him separate from my cats and he's lucky he survived his first encounter.

If he doesn't get a longshot, very lucky, golden ticket, I'm going to have to have hubby put him down.

If you raise kittens - esp such nice mannered kittens - find homes for them. Dropping them off on a farm is NOT it. Don't condemn them to that fate or make us do your dirty work! :cursing:

I agree!! I didn't think a like was enough, so I quoted your post. I will have to add, don't dump your dogs off here either. In the very least, take them to the pound like I'm going to have to pay to do. And don't let your stinkin' dog, who is in heat, run around the countryside. (I found out that fact when I confronted the owner because said dog was threatening my chickens.) Aargh!!!

When I was a kid, someone dropped off a mother cat and five tiny kittens in a box on my parents' field.  We already had cats (that were strays!) and they didn't want 6 more, so my mom took the cat and kittens in their box to the only shelter in the area.  They didn't want to take them unless my mom signed something saying that they had been our pets and we no longer wanted them and we had neglected to get the mother cat spayed.  My mom went ballistic on them since that was all untrue (she had told the story of how we found them in this box on our field that morning and had no idea who dumped them there).  Eventually they backed off and took the cat and kittens without making my mom sign their form (which would have also required her address and phone number to be written on it).

He's definitely trying to win your heart...

He is doing his best to try to win over both of us (hubby too).  He will not eat unless one of us is there - making me wonder if he was abandoned while eating?  He follows either one of us he can see - at a run if need be - indoors or out.  If we're sitting down he wants to be on top of us (he's on my chest now as the computer is on my lap).  He will NOT be deterred.  We were sitting at a table and pulled all the other chairs away so he couldn't jump from one of them onto the table - but he tried his best anyway.  Then he noticed he could get to the table from a stack of hubby's engineering stuff... it was cute!  I had to let him sit with me just to stop his persistent trying.  He was willing to climb my legs, hop over the computer screen, and walk across the keyboard - yes - we let him do it once.  We have to sneak upstairs to use the bathroom in peace.

Creekland...you are getting attached to this kitty!  He is winning your heart.  I can only observe the great intelligence and self-preservation skills of cats!!

This one has it anyway.  Any other cat would have given up eons ago figuring we servants are just not that trainable.

If there were any chance at all that we'd want another cat, he'd have the job.  However, he won't survive here.  My other cats look at him when they come in - then look at me - and know they're in for it if they touch him while I'm around, but the moment I'm not... and we're leaving again soon.

The good news for him is a rescue called while we were out.  I've called them back - after looking them up online to see that they are legit.  If we can touch base, I'm willing to take him the hour away to their place and they say they'll get him healed up (if possible) then adopted.  He's definitely earned that chance at life.

Assuming he heals, he's going to make someone a GREAT pet - as long as they can get some time alone once in a while!  Right now he's determined to never let us out of his sight (or touch) - even if it means going without food.  I truly have never seen a cat or kitten like him - esp a kitten.  Two of our other cats are people lovers.  One will sit with me whenever he's in the house (he's out now) and the other will sleep with me when she can, but this guy outclasses them both for the people-loving prize.

I'm glad the rescue called and hope they call back soon.  Phone tag is annoying.  Hubby and I had to work together to get this photo.  He kept wanting to jump over ON one of us.

00000_aEPtuLa97rq_600x450.jpg

Heard back from the rescue.  What the little guy has are warbles... at least 4 of them.  If you're not the gross-outable type, you can google.  Since many on here might be, I won't go into detail.  We got one out (my chickens enjoyed it afterward).  The others - no luck.  They will likely need a vet, but it isn't an emergency.

Since they take roughly a month to get to the stage two of them are at (two are smaller), I do wonder how long this guy has been fending for himself, or if someone dumped him when they got grossed out looking at it.

My cats are off the hook for doing damage to him (for now).  I was thinking they had put some serious holes in his face/neck!  Normally they just "kill" and it isn't all that "damaging" to the body otherwise.

And kitty?  (no name - can't name strays)  He was a SAINT through it all.  We wrapped him in a towel to protect our limbs, but he mainly settled in, purred, and was still.  I only wish we'd have been able to get more than one - hubby actually got that one BEFORE we officially tried.  So much for our vet skills (with cats anyway).

Tomorrow I hope to catch up with the rescue.  He'll get to spend one more night here unless someone contacts us from craigslist wanting him.

He's adorable...

We are in the market for a kitten.  I wish you were nearby he would be a wonderful fit for our family.

eta:  I googled it.  I wish I hadn't.  

Yes, as a warning to the squeamish - don't google... but again, it's not an emergency and these won't kill him as long as they are removed properly.  Supposedly, vets see them relatively often - but I'll admit I had never seen them before even though I've had animals all my life.

IF anyone on here were to want a saint of a kitten and could deal with the warble removal... we're in south central PA between Gettysburg and York.  Since we're planning on taking him to the rescue an hour away anyway, we'd definitely consider a similar delivery within a similar range to a good home.  Unfortunately, we can't use him as an excuse for that trip to HI or AK...

If anyone had a pre-vet student... this could be a good educational lab...  :lol:

Okay, I googled and that is horrible.

I suppose it is a good thing that we live on a farm and have seem numerous "yucky" things before.  This one is a first for me though.

I guess it's supposed to be good to learn something new every day, right?   :glare:

In my ideal life I'd fund a huge animal shelter for any animal in need and staff it by paying animal lovers who wanted to work there any number of hours.

I'd also fund education for everyone who wanted to go and showed the initiative to do well while there.

And I'd make sure everyone got any medical care they needed with no worries about cost.

And any left over without jobs would have funding and/or training until they got something.

Then I wake up... and realize we can do some small steps of the above, but not everything I'd like to do in my dreams.  (sigh)

In the meantime, I've been checking lost & found ads locally - and posted a found ad - just in case he is lost.  He's definitely well socialized, but ended up in a bad situation somehow.

I agree. I would love to start a cat shelter. There are a few dog shelters in our area, but no cat shelters. (Guess how I have two cats now)

I saw a small horse farm recently. I thought it would be a perfect place to start a shelter, different areas could be fenced off for cats depending on their ages, so no kittens could pester the aging cats. But alas, I have not the funds to do something of that nature. Even if I could buy the place, the food, and vet costs would be enormous.