Menu

New York university?

It's known as a good school and also known for being really stingy with any sort of aid.  That said, one student from school got her "best" package from there, so one never knows.  She did not attend as she didn't like their requirement to study abroad... she opted for a state school instead.

Otherwise, make sure you visit as many do not care for their very urban vibe once they are there.  This mainly applies to students looking for actual campuses.  NYU is mainly city buildings - not really a campus like other schools have.  Those who love it love the city feel.

That last part is totally preference - not saying either is right or wrong - just things to consider.

I don't think it will be a good fit for DD anyway.  She thinks she might like a big city, but she has never even spent time in much smaller cities.  I think it would overwhelm her :/  Besides, I told her that if she is willing to go to a school with 20,000 plus students then she should just go to Chapel Hill.  She was planning to avoid CH solely based on size.

I looked at their graduate programs years ago.  I think I would have liked the "big city" experience at that time.  But yeah I nearly fainted over the price!

Well, price is a huge issue for us.  Knowing that the financial aid isn't so great gives us a reason to mark it off the list.  At the same time, she originally said she wanted to stay within VA, NC, SC, TN, or GA and preferred a smaller school.  Then suddenly she seemed quite interested in NYU  :confused1: which is polar opposite. 

Requirement to study abroad? How does that work with winter sports?

No clue.  I'm going off hearsay.

The gal in question was gung ho about going to NYU and her mom (a co-worker) told me that they had given her her best financial package so all was going great.  Then the gal went on the Spanish class's trip to Costa Rica and discovered she didn't like travel abroad... she came home and changed her college plans because of it - telling me that (at least with her major) she had to do some sort of study abroad with NYU and absolutely, positively, didn't want to, so wouldn't go there.  She's doing well at the state school - finished her sophomore year.