Menu

Questions about using Omnibus for self-education

I have a few questions for those of you who have used Omnibus:

1. Are the reading assignments written in such a way that I could use another edition of the book or a kindle version of the book without any problems?
  2. I am considering signing up for the self-paced Omnibus courses to add to what I am learning. Do you think the textbook alone adds enough, or do you think the courses would be worth the extra expense? The online samples are very tempting.
  3. Has anyone worked through these textbooks for self-education? If so, do you have any general advice?

Thank you very much for any advice.

Sherry

I have only done the Omnibus I Primaries self-paced online course with my dd this past school year.  I did not have the time to read all of those ancient, long books, but wanted my dd to learn from the course, so I bought the online course.  They offer early discounts each year.  I think it was well worth it.  I sat through nearly every class with her and read as much of the books as I could.  We still had good conversations together, but the teacher had the background expertise that I did not.  However, if YOU are doing this for self-learning, your goal would be to do all the reading yourself and go through the discussion questions.  You could write them out, I suppose or sort of talk to yourself about it. :001_smile: I do think if money is an issue that you could really benefit doing it yourself.  Be sure to get the CD ROM that has the teacher edition for the answers!  Most of the time there is not a huge issue with having a different publisher, but page numbers will be different.  I think this is more important with the live online classes so that the class will be on the same page (so to speak).

I applaud your desire to be self-educated.  Omnibus is a large time commitment since it is three one credit courses if you do both Primary and Secondary Books.  I decided to just do primaries for my dd in 7th grade because with her other courses, I did not want to overwhelm her.  It worked out well!

Blessings,

Sheri

I have only done the Omnibus I Primaries self-paced online course with my dd this past school year.  I did not have the time to read all of those ancient, long books, but wanted my dd to learn from the course, so I bought the online course.  They offer early discounts each year.  I think it was well worth it.  I sat through nearly every class with her and read as much of the books as I could.  We still had good conversations together, but the teacher had the background expertise that I did not.  However, if YOU are doing this for self-learning, your goal would be to do all the reading yourself and go through the discussion questions.  You could write them out, I suppose or sort of talk to yourself about it. :001_smile: I do think if money is an issue that you could really benefit doing it yourself.  Be sure to get the CD ROM that has the teacher edition for the answers!  Most of the time there is not a huge issue with having a different publisher, but page numbers will be different.  I think this is more important with the live online classes so that the class will be on the same page (so to speak).

I applaud your desire to be self-educated.  Omnibus is a large time commitment since it is three one credit courses if you do both Primary and Secondary Books.  I decided to just do primaries for my dd in 7th grade because with her other courses, I did not want to overwhelm her.  It worked out well!

Blessings,

Sheri

Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate it. I think my family will worry less about me if I stick to writing out my answers, but they probably wouldn't be surprised to find me talking to myself  :blush:

Sherry 

I used Omnibus I self paced this year with my son for a little while.  I think the videos are geared towards their audience, which is 7-12th grade.  As an adult I found some parts annoying, of course ymmv.  Just little things, like Etter uses slang and is clearly gearing his presentation towards junior high kids.  For me I like Omnibus better from the book than from the self paced version for that reason.  I am using Roman Roads media now, and prefer it.  It is also more focused on the literature and less focused on religious lessons to learn from the books.

I've used parts of Omnibus for self-education, but I also use a number of other resources:  The Great Books by Anthony O'Hear, Great Books by David Denby, Invitation to the Classics, How to Read A Book by Adler, The Teaching Company courses, etc.  Omnibus can give a particular slant to certain issues and it's nice to have a balance of views yet without having to do copious amounts of reading.  I agree with Anne, I think because the online course would be geared to 7th to 12th grade, while you'd glean some information, you may not be getting your money's worth out of them.  There are some MOOC's courses out there that I'm planning to try but I still need to look into them.

Hope that helps you a little!